ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #4066
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
I'll be running 13-50 gearing on the the 525exc, which is good for the tight stuff - single track. Maybe I should bring the 14 tooth along as well for Salt Lake flats ride

The bike tops out at 110 km, not so good for riding the slab. We're open to all ride suggestions/invites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Keep an eye on this thread for local (and loco) rides. I can recommend some sweet big-bike friendly rides if you want to get out of Moab.
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #4067
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,710
kmh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
I'll be running 13-50 gearing on the the 525exc, which is good for the tight stuff - single track. Maybe I should bring the 14 tooth along as well for Salt Lake flats ride

The bike tops out at 110 km, not so good for riding the slab. We're open to all ride suggestions/invites.
KM?!.. cut the fancy stuff bud... this is the wild west n we don't like how logical the metric system claims to be... we know better... that's why i equipt my ride w/ only 87/72th's bolts. I'd like to see what's in yer sissy tool kit!

drop some dates for yer SLC days, n what kinda ridin ya like, n some one of our pards'll see to it yer accommodated proper like.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #4068
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,710
yep..

getter while the gettin's good. (which ends tomorrow evening, so i'm taking the after noon off to see the colors)

Name:  PICT0234.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  134.7 KB

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #4069
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
Sorry, about that.....lets say 60 mph.

The motorcycles are street legal/plated dualsports, we can ride whatever. The slab, usually only to get to the ride. If it's a long section of pavement, we'll truck to the starting point. We ride it all, logging/mining roads to single track trails. It's all about the the exploration and the adventure....see new places and spaces. The trip dates are from the 13 to the 23, with moab being the final destination. We'll be in SLC on the eve of the 15th and heading sometime on 16th (could change this up for local ride). The rest of the time will be at Moab, looking to ride. The time spent in Moab is flexible, depending on the other riding options. Will be overnighting in Boise on the way home, could pick up a ride there too.

drop some dates for yer SLC days, n what kinda ridin ya like, n some one of our pards'll see to it yer accommodated proper like.[/quote]
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #4070
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
getter while the gettin's good. (which ends tomorrow evening, so i'm taking the after noon off to see the colors)

Attachment 216736
You know you suck right!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #4071
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 466
White Rim Trail?

I'm thinking of camping in the Moab area this weekend with the family, and maybe riding the White Rim Trail Saturday or Sunday.

Anyone wanna join me?

TrailTwister
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #4072
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I'm thinking of camping in the Moab area this weekend with the family, and maybe riding the White Rim Trail Saturday or Sunday.

Anyone wanna join me?

TrailTwister
Sounds cool, wish I could join you. Gotta stick around SLC this weekend.

I'm slowly adding things to my KLR 650 ( aka drug mule ).

Any recommendations on the best way to carry a fly rod on a dual sport?

I'm kind of leaning towards maybe just carrying it on my back since things get rattled so hard when mounted on the bike.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #4073
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh

I run 13-50 or 52 on my 525 mxc and it will easily pull over 60mph and it has a lower sixth then the exc. Twist that thing on the right more.

If your planning on running the salt flats or dualsport stuff then bring a 14 otherwise 13 should be fine.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #4074
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Home Brew Kit - The right price (Free)

Started to put this on KSL but thot the Utard group should get first whack at this....

One near complete home brew kit...check it out.

Here is what I have...
1. (1) 5 gal glass carboy
2. (1) 6+ gallon brew bucket with lid
3. (2) cappers + caps
4. many bottles...(24) 22 oz, (48) 12 oz Coors, (102) Corona clear, more...
5. Maybe a book if I can find it

Send me a PM if you are interested. Otherwise it goes on KSL....
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #4075
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus
Started to put this on KSL but thot the Utard group should get first whack at this....

One near complete home brew kit...check it out.

Here is what I have...
1. (1) 5 gal glass carboy
2. (1) 6+ gallon brew bucket with lid
3. (2) cappers + caps
4. many bottles...(24) 22 oz, (48) 12 oz Coors, (102) Corona clear, more...
5. Maybe a book if I can find it

Send me a PM if you are interested. Otherwise it goes on KSL....
Hey Harcus, are you selling any of your wives as well? I'm always in the market for wives!
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #4076
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Pissed Its official- The guys at Wrights are pussies!

It all started a few months back. I needed a new front and rear tire on my KTM300xc for the next race, and I already had a Michelin S-12 and a new Bib Mousse in the garage ready to go. Frog had offered to help, but I was working some long hours and running out of time...so I took the wheels and tire/bib down to Wright's. I had already cleaned the rim and installed a wrap of duct tape per Frogs instructions;no rim locks were to be installed. The tire guy was nice enough and told me it would be $20 per wheel and a few hours. I tagged my wheels with my name and number and left.

When I dropped back into Wrights a few hours later the tires were all mounted up and lookin' good. The tire guy told me that the "rear had been a real bitch to get on..took 4 guys 45 minutes to get it to go on. It may not be the right size bib mousse for that tire."

[Me thinking] Damn, I hope it doesn't affect the handling or longevity of the setup I just spent my hard earned coin on!! [thinking off]

I go up to pay and all the guys gather round at the til; noone wants to talk for some reason....hmm. Then the kid behind the register goes in back to get the head honcho manager/owner/whatever guy. He proceeds to explain to me how tough it was to mount the rear and how he had to pay 4 guys for 45 minutes to put it on and now he has to charge me $50 for mounting the rear tire!!! I didn't freak out or nothing...I just calmly explained that I had been quoted $20 per wheel and thought that to be fair we could meet half way... NO DICE. So I am not that big of an asshole AND I've run a small business before so I pays the man and tries to put it behind me. I never posted anything bad about the experience because I didn't KNOW what they had gone through.

[Fast Forward to present] Two races and a few practices later the tires/tubes have performed very well. The Michelin S-12 is however shredded and chunked off all the middle tread. I ordered a new Maxxis Desert IT and proceeded to install it on my hands and knees on the garage floor tonight. NO MACHINE. NO 4 GUYS for 45 MINUTES. JUST LITTLE OLD ME AND A COUPLE TIRE IRONS AND C_CLAMPS; Job done in 30 minutes and its easier than installing a #@$% Tube!!

So now I feel I can officially say that them boys are PUSSIES among other things for overcharging me like that and then coming up with so many lame reasons why it was MY fault. It sucks because I really wanted to be able to support the local little guy; but not when I get treated like this. I haven't been back and I now order everything I used to buy there from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Just thought YFF's might wanna know. Sorry if this bugs some of you ardent Wrights fans...but THEY could have handled this better!
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #4077
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Any ride plans forming this weekend? Sunday looks to be rainy, but I am considering the Promotory-to-Wendover railbed trail for Saturday.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #4078
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre
It sucks because I really wanted to be able to support the local little guy; but not when I get treated like this.
Hey, whatever happened with your Uly? Mine's all fixed. Cost me $100.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #4079
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
Hey, whatever happened with your Uly? Mine's all fixed. Cost me $100.
I got it fixed... not really that bad once you got the motor rotated far enough to drill the stud out. I been commuting on her. Did Mirror Lake Hwy on Sunday.

The root cause is the front muffler hanger bolt came out and allowed the header to twist, which broke the exhaust stud. I now regularly check that bolt to make sure it does not happen again.

I ride to work every day, so I am usually more interested in riding my dirt bike on weekends... one of these days I might break down and get a real dual sport so I can go with Kev and the boyz.

How's the Guinness up in Seattle??

If its not up to par you always buy the "Harcus' Liver Killer Special".
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #4080
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre

I'm a pussy for not mounting my own dirt bike tires in the first place.
There, fixt it for you.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote