ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #4081
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre
How's the Guinness up in Seattle??

If its not up to par you always buy the "Harcus' Liver Killer Special".
Interestingly, while it never came up during our rides, I used to be a very active home brewer. Did all grain, the whole bit. Still have my maltmill, my fermenters, my kegs, everything. Didn't do much brewing in Park City because I had a finished basement, and you really need a 'wet room' to slop stuff around in. My house in Milwaukee was perfect for that, one of the old cement block basement with the cement laundry tubs deal. Anyway, Guinness is the holy grail for home brewers, it's actually pretty easy to do a knock off of something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but re-creating Guinness was never possible for me nor anyone else I ever knew who brewed. Something about the open fermentation in Ireland, I guess.

The riding here is very good, but I haven't yet found the equivalent of either Mirror Lake or Wolf Creek. On the other hand, I can stop at the RedHook brewery on my way home from work and pick up a growler, so there are tradeoffs....

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #4082
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
Interestingly, while it never came up during our rides, I used to be a very active home brewer. Did all grain, the whole bit. Still have my maltmill, my fermenters, my kegs, everything. Didn't do much brewing in Park City because I had a finished basement, and you really need a 'wet room' to slop stuff around in. My house in Milwaukee was perfect for that, one of the old cement block basement with the cement laundry tubs deal. Anyway, Guinness is the holy grail for home brewers, it's actually pretty easy to do a knock off of something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but re-creating Guinness was never possible for me nor anyone else I ever knew who brewed. Something about the open fermentation in Ireland, I guess.

The riding here is very good, but I haven't yet found the equivalent of either Mirror Lake or Wolf Creek. On the other hand, I can stop at the RedHook brewery on my way home from work and pick up a growler, so there are tradeoffs....
You do realize that the ex-gov loosened the liquor laws before being sent to China? The result: Clubs sold more food and less liquor but you can go anywhere you want for just one drink and then move on........and Sunday dining is now open season for a meal and a drink.........

PS harcus, I can use that glass carboy........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #4083
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
There, fixt it for you.
You may be on to something!
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #4084
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,675
DS vs Enduro?

Quote:
one of these days I might break down and get a real dual sport so I can go with Kev and the boyz.
I don't know the subtle difference, but i was told that i ride enduro, and DS is more like the KTM Adventure....

You should break down and set up a burly Enduro!... We're hitting Moab on Columbus weekend on Enduro style bikes... any takers?

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #4085
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
I don't know the subtle difference, but i was told that i ride enduro, and DS is more like the KTM Adventure....

You should break down and set up a burly Enduro!... We're hitting Moab on Columbus weekend on Enduro style bikes... any takers?
I know... I do have a headlight and some signals I can throw on... I just don't think the state will plate my 2-stroke.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #4086
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
I don't know the subtle difference, but i was told that i ride enduro, and DS is more like the KTM Adventure...

I'm with you on that confusion. The side of my DR650 clearly states "Dual Sport" but I keep getting told it's an enduro.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #4087
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
Think so

Quote:
I know... I do have a headlight and some signals I can throw on... I just don't think the state will plate my 2-stroke.
I'm pretty sure the state law doesn't distinguish between 4-stroke and 2-stroke.

Also I've personally seen at least one two-stroke with Utah plates.

A couple years ago I confirmed in the Utah Code and with with an inspection station that it didn't matter, and that the only requirements were: Headlight, mirror, horn (bulb horn ok), tail light, brake light. That's it. No DOT tires, no turn signals needed.

But a couple weeks ago someone (HickOnACrick? or GISKev?) told me Utah changed the law and turn signals are now required.

There may be a publication on the DWR (?) or parks/ recreation website.

TTwister
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #4088
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
No DOT tires, no turn signals needed.
Hmmm, I thought that DOT tires were a requirement?

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #4089
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Hmmm, I thought that DOT tires were a requirement?
Most inspection shops don't pay attention to DOT labels on tires.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #4090
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Most inspection shops don't pay attention to DOT labels on tires.
I know a place that dosen't even look at the bike.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #4091
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:

I have grapes coming on Saturday, 10/10 but I'm off work thru Tuesday.....what/where/when are you riding........?

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #4092
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
What color.........want to sell them?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #4093
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Hey Harcus, are you selling any of your wives as well? I'm always in the market for wives!
We should talk! Do you still have that DRZ?
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #4094
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly

This answers many questions! Milwaukee....brew....Guinness...Triumphs...it is all coming together now....

Yes, Guinness has some secret ingredients.

Did you try Capitian Bastards by Squatters when you were here? Not a Guinness but a very good oatmeal stout.

Redhook is a decent place to visit.

You were supposed to be crusin the cascades for good routes for us. Are you shirkin your responsibility?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #4095
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I'm thinking of camping in the Moab area this weekend with the family, and maybe riding the White Rim Trail Saturday or Sunday.

Anyone wanna join me?

TrailTwister
I am thinkin of ridin the 990 down there this weekend. Wife gone, no one to complain....

Where will you be camped if I were so inclined?