ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #4096
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
I don't know the subtle difference, but i was told that i ride enduro, and DS is more like the KTM Adventure....

You should break down and set up a burly Enduro!... We're hitting Moab on Columbus weekend on Enduro style bikes... any takers?
I don't think you'll ever get everyone to agree on enduro or DS definitions, but here's my take on them.

I would say an enduro is a multipurpose bad ass dirt bike (as in not moto cross only oriented) that may be limited (uncomfortable) on sharp paved turns or long sections of slab. Then the DS is a bit more street oriented as in you can have some fun on S turns that are paved and it can do any fire road and mild wide single track. The DS is usually a little bit better for long rides including long sections of slabs.

I would say the bikes dirtydiesel and giskev ride are bad ass enduros and the my klr 650 is a DS.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #4097
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
Change of plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus
I am thinkin of ridin the 990 down there this weekend. Wife gone, no one to complain....

Where will you be camped if I were so inclined?
Looks like I gotta work Fri and Mon after all, so prob'ly no camping with the fam. Still, could be talked into a long ride, even maybe an overnighter.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #4098
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Looks like I gotta work Fri and Mon after all, so prob'ly no camping with the fam. Still, could be talked into a long ride, even maybe an overnighter.
I'm up for a ride, but I need to avoid eating too much dust since I seem to be having some f-ing sinus issues.

Sunday morning would be good.

Supposed to be COLD this weekend. Not sure how much the snow will limit the ride.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #4099
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
I'm up for a ride, but I need to avoid eating too much dust since I seem to be having some f-ing sinus issues.

Supposed to be COLD this weekend. Not sure how much the snow will limit the ride.

Oh you just wait 'n see..... it takes a LOT of snow to stop these Utards!

DSCN0129
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #4100
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
Hey, Ryman called my phone last night looking for his wife...

Which one of you bastiges told him?
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #4101
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Gmae On

Sunday is supposed to be rain, so Warp9man and I are going riding Saturday if anyone wants to join us. We're going to to the Transcontinental Railroad National Back Country Byway.

As currently planned, we'll start at my house in Clinton at 9, slab to Corinne (and grab a last few drops of fuel) then go to the Golden Spike National Historic Site and hit the dirt to Kelton. Then we may cut up to Park Valley for fuel (if needed) then get back on trail and continue through Terrace, then on to Lucin where the railbed ends. From there we'll slab the 19 miles into Montello, Nevada to grab fuel. From there we could slab down to Wendover then back home, or maybe reverse the route to go home. I think we're both leaning more toward reverse running the route because slabbing our heavy knobbies away isn't as fun as caressing the dirt with them.

If you'd like to join us, call me at ate oh won, fife ate niyen, niyen for fife for and I'll give you my address.

Plan on bringing your own lunch because there may not be a Burger King close by when you get hungry. Also plan for long stretches with no fuel.

So, if you are game, give me a call at the number above!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #4102
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Hey, Ryman called my phone last night looking for his wife...

Which one of you bastiges told him?
I miss you honey!

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #4103
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
From there we'll slab the 19 miles into Montello, Nevada to grab fuel.
Please confirm that there really is fuel in Montello. Last time I passed through there, the fuel station had shut down. That has been a few years ago though.
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #4104
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,674
Sat am ride? (NOT ANYMORE, CHANGE O PLANS)

UPDATE: I'm not riding... I got my days mixed up...

INFIDEL: Moab plans aren't solid yet, but i'm taking my SPOT tracker so i'll ping our camp site.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)

GISkev screwed with this post 10-02-2009 at 10:51 AM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #4105
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
Sunday is supposed to be rain, so Warp9man and I are going riding Saturday if anyone wants to join us. We're going to to the Transcontinental Railroad National Back Country Byway.

As currently planned, we'll start at my house in Clinton at 9, slab to Corinne (and grab a last few drops of fuel) then go to the Golden Spike National Historic Site and hit the dirt to Kelton. Then we may cut up to Park Valley for fuel (if needed) then get back on trail and continue through Terrace, then on to Lucin where the railbed ends. From there we'll slab the 19 miles into Montello, Nevada to grab fuel. From there we could slab down to Wendover then back home, or maybe reverse the route to go home. I think we're both leaning more toward reverse running the route because slabbing our heavy knobbies away isn't as fun as caressing the dirt with them.

If you'd like to join us, call me at ate oh won, fife ate niyen, niyen for fife for and I'll give you my address.

Plan on bringing your own lunch because there may not be a Burger King close by when you get hungry. Also plan for long stretches with no fuel.

So, if you are game, give me a call at the number above!
Yup, serious chance of Rain Sunday. Better ride Sat.

Starskey, is that ride big bike friendly? I'm guessing it is.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #4106
FAH-Q!
It wasn't me!

Oddometer: 580
Selling my bike to you Utards

I'll post this here incase anyone local wants it first.

I have to say good bye to my old friend. 2002 453exc. Because of my travel schedule with work I have not had a chance to ride it once this year and only rode it a few times in the dessert last summer. It is the best bike I’ve owned and loads of fun. The bike has little hours on the new engine, around 60 to 70. Valves adjusted every 20 hours or so. Oil changed every 4 rides and at the end of every riding season. Stored in heated garage. A well taken care of bike. Has some scratches on plastic and brush guards and swing arm but nothing abnormal.
The engine is big bore kitted with the HT header and torque vane. It pulls like crazy from the bottom all the way to the top, yet very smooth and tractable. When the motor was down for the big bore kit, it got the updated cam gear with the cast in auto decompress boss instead of the nut and bolt setup. I've heard a lot of people that know these bikes that it is the best engine KTM never built. It's the best woods bike I know of.

Emig Racing triple clamp
Emig Racing 17mm riser
EE Rock guard
EE sprocket guard
New Iron Man sprockets front and rear
New DID 520 race chain
JD jet kit
FMF Q pipe
HT header
Torque vane
Longhorn bars
New Grips
Soft seat
IMS dessert tank
T.M. Designworks chain guide
Wheel bearings front and rear replaced last year
Black powder coated frame
Honda diaphragm in carb

The bike also comes with all my extra parts. Extra air filter, SX silencer, stock tank, stock bars, lighter rear spring, clutch plates, all manuals, second set of plastics.

I know I’m forgetting some stuff so call or email questions and I can answer them.

$2,800 in Park City

"Liquor? I don't even know her."
FAH-Q! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #4107
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
Sat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz

I can ride Saturday. Prob'ly look at the route Starsky's planning and maybe go with them. May look at southern alternatives as well. Ideas? I guess we could sneak some lip rippin in there somehow (fishing).
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #4108
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Anyone want to ride from five mile to cherry creek, pit for fano and dumbgirl then go ride some more? Give me a call six nin nin to nin fiv ate.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #4109
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I can ride Saturday. Prob'ly look at the route Starsky's planning and maybe go with them. May look at southern alternatives as well. Ideas? I guess we could sneak some lip rippin in there somehow (fishing).
Damn, change of plans, can't ride tomorrow. :(

Some family is making an unexpected trip to SLC.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #4110
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota
Please confirm that there really is fuel in Montello. Last time I passed through there, the fuel station had shut down. That has been a few years ago though.
I called and checked. Montello Gas & Grocery will be open and selling fuel tomorrow from 8AM to 7PM!