ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #4111
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
Yup, serious chance of Rain Sunday. Better ride Sat.

Starskey, is that ride big bike friendly? I'm guessing it is.
Yes, it's a 4WD jeep type road. I'm on a 650 and Warp9man is on a 950 so bring whatcha got!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #4112
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSKEY
I called and checked. Montello Gas & Grocery will be open and selling fuel tomorrow from 8AM to 7PM!
Thanks for checking and passing the info along!
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #4113
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Utards!
Our esteemed guest from China, Lu Fei will be in Utah the next few days. He will be staying with me in Santaquin over the weekend and then heading for the parks in southern Utah. You are all welcome to come visit or ride with. More details will be forthcoming.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495330
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #4114
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
A fine day North and West of the big salty puddle:

Good to meet you Trailtwister!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #4115
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,723
Talking Moab next weekend...

Twister n Starskey!: Looks like i missed out (650 rings go in tomorrow!)

Froggy: wish i had time to pit for DumbGRRRL n Fano! How'd it go?

-------------------------------------------------------
we're heading to Moab next weekend to camp n ride... if anyone's interested i can use my SPOT tracker to show our base camp and you can meet us!...

I'm thinking White Rim one day, Lockhart Basin another day, and some other shorter rides (more technical, but XR650 worthy, so straight up cliffs)... we're leaving either Thursday evening or early Friday am, and returning Monday night... I think our truck/trailer is full, but ya never know till the last minute, do ya?...

Infidel sounded semi interested, so i'll bring my feeler gauges for a camp fire valve adjustment for his neglected XR!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #4116
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,766
Good. I actually ended up going and racing. It was a fun 100 mile race. A bit dusty but no too bad. I'm pretty sure I saw Roostre out there on the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Twister n Starskey!: Looks like i missed out (650 rings go in tomorrow!)

Froggy: wish i had time to pit for DumbGRRRL n Fano! How'd it go?

-------------------------------------------------------
we're heading to Moab next weekend to camp n ride... if anyone's interested i can use my SPOT tracker to show our base camp and you can meet us!...

I'm thinking White Rim one day, Lockhart Basin another day, and some other shorter rides (more technical, but XR650 worthy, so straight up cliffs)... we're leaving either Thursday evening or early Friday am, and returning Monday night... I think our truck/trailer is full, but ya never know till the last minute, do ya?...

Infidel sounded semi interested, so i'll bring my feeler gauges for a camp fire valve adjustment for his neglected XR!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #4117
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Oddometer: 325
Quote:

Damn, looks like you guys had a good day. I'm jealous.

I spent the day doing IT crap as in shopping for a new Mac for a family member and then getting them setup on the new Mac. If any of you are still using Windows XP be very careful. There is a new breed of viruses aimed at XP that are too clever. My family member managed to get a trojan key logger with a back door and the whole mission in life for this virus is to steal personal banking info. One really scary thing about this virus is that it was installed by a pop-up that had been rewired for cancel to be accept and once it tricks you into installing it the virus disables your anti virus software.

Also, a friend of mine sent me this article which describes an even worse virus:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10...?tag=rtcol;pop

terracruz screwed with this post 10-03-2009 at 10:09 PM
terracruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #4118
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Fun ride yesterday

I took two of my boys ridding yesterday on the Stansbury Front Trail. What a blast that was. And a huge thanks to Michelangelo for the great directions. I left a message on his cell phone that I found on one of his posts about the trail two years ago. He was nice enough to call me back from military training with the directions.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #4119
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Here is another one from my ride yesterday

on the Stansbury Front Trail
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #4120
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Good ride!

Quote:

The pleasure's mine, Starsky! Thanks for letting me come along, and let's do it again sometime.

TT
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #4121
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Some skinny on street-legal dirtbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I'm pretty sure the state law doesn't distinguish between 4-stroke and 2-stroke.

Also I've personally seen at least one two-stroke with Utah plates.

A couple years ago I confirmed in the Utah Code and with with an inspection station that it didn't matter, and that the only requirements were: Headlight, mirror, horn (bulb horn ok), tail light, brake light. That's it. No DOT tires, no turn signals needed.

But a couple weeks ago someone (HickOnACrick? or GISKev?) told me Utah changed the law and turn signals are now required.

There may be a publication on the DWR (?) or parks/ recreation website.

TTwister
I did a little research on this. Couldn't find a single concise statement on it, but here're some tidbits:

From Utah DNR State Parks web page, http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/in-state-registration: Off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal if they are safety inspected and insured.

From Utah Off-highway Vehicle Program brochure, http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/OHVlawsBrochure.pdf: Dual sport off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal vehicles if they possess the proper safety equipment, have passed a state safety inspection, and carry the proper insurance, or they may be registered as
off-highway vehicles.

From Utah Code and Constitution, http://www.le.state.ut.us/Documents/code_const.htm:

41-6a-1506. Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes, 41-6a-1625. Horns and warning devices -- Emergency vehicles, 41-6a-1627. Mirrors, 41-6a-1636. Tires which are prohibited -- Regulatory powers of state transportation department -- Winter use of studs -- Special permits -- Tread depth (paraphrased): headlight, tail light, white light to illuminate license plate, rear reflector, stop lamp, braking system, horn audible at 200 ft, muffler, one mirror on left side, tires with certain tread, geometry and stud/ spike restrictions.

edit -- No mention of DOT tire certification.

No mention of turn signals.

As Trackhead said, the inspection stations have discretion, although in my experience, they may not know the exact rules. One guy played like he 'inspected' the tires ... 'Look like DOT tires to me (wink)'. And neither of my two plated bikes (from 4 years ago) had the rear reflector.

I think the state licenses motorcycle safety inspection stations differently than other motor vehicle stations... a regular inspection station person told me he couldn't do motorcycles.

Related but separate: In October 2008, a new law allows ATVs to be street-legal, two types -- under 50" and the side-by-side type. That law is much more specific and clear, and the DNR publishes a guideline.

Hope that helps.

TT
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #4122
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,876
Street-legal in Utard........

Some of that is well written.........and some is open to interpretation.....many car inspection stations are now certified for motorcycles...Jiffy Lubes....Texaco on 39th and 23rd.....but the moto-dealers are much more likely to be liable if they pass off on a bike that won't truly meet criteria......after all, they sell them and can't afford to lose that side over your quasi-legal bike......

The blinker issue is moot in my mind........why wouldn't you put them on for your own safety? The DOT tires might be a personal choice depending on how much slab vs dirt your street legal bike will truly see......you will certainly get more miles out of a DOT tire used on the slab and that could make up for the higher price...........

I think you need to tailor the bike for what you will use it for........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #4123
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Utards!

Call in sick and come ride with Lu Fei and I. We will be leaving Santaquin Monday 8 am ish and spending the next few days visiting the best southern Utah has to offer. Camping, mostly paved twisties, some dirt and lots of National Parks and photo stops.

648 N. 450 W. Santaquin

Be a part of this years P.R. for International Friendship tour.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #4124
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812
Utards!

Call in sick and come ride with Lu Fei and I. We will be leaving Santaquin Monday 8 am ish and spending the next few days visiting the best southern Utah has to offer. Camping, mostly paved twisties, some dirt and lots of National Parks and photo stops.

648 N. 450 W. Santaquin

Be a part of this years P.R. for International Friendship tour.
I wish this had happened a couple of weeks earlier. Now I am stuck on service with no light at the end of the tunnel for two weeks.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #4125
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
I so wanted to go on this ride, my daughter was moving :(

Thanks for the pic, I hope you share more. My daughter and I had 2 DRZ's, now we are down to 1, I was going to ride a FZ6 on the grade. MaverickChick has ridden this ride with a DRZ SM, so the FZ6 might of been OK, lol.

Great choice on moving the ride to Sat., lots of rain today(Sunday).

NOTAR_520 screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 12:29 PM
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote