ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #4126
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I did a little research on this. Couldn't find a single concise statement on it, but here're some tidbits:

From Utah DNR State Parks web page, http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/in-state-registration: Off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal if they are safety inspected and insured.

From Utah Off-highway Vehicle Program brochure, http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/OHVlawsBrochure.pdf: Dual sport off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal vehicles if they possess the proper safety equipment, have passed a state safety inspection, and carry the proper insurance, or they may be registered as
off-highway vehicles.

From Utah Code and Constitution, http://www.le.state.ut.us/Documents/code_const.htm:

41-6a-1506. Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes, 41-6a-1625. Horns and warning devices -- Emergency vehicles, 41-6a-1627. Mirrors, 41-6a-1636. Tires which are prohibited -- Regulatory powers of state transportation department -- Winter use of studs -- Special permits -- Tread depth (paraphrased): headlight, tail light, white light to illuminate license plate, rear reflector, stop lamp, braking system, horn audible at 200 ft, muffler, one mirror on left side, tires with certain tread, geometry and stud/ spike restrictions.

edit -- No mention of DOT tire certification.

No mention of turn signals.

As Trackhead said, the inspection stations have discretion, although in my experience, they may not know the exact rules. One guy played like he 'inspected' the tires ... 'Look like DOT tires to me (wink)'. And neither of my two plated bikes (from 4 years ago) had the rear reflector.

I think the state licenses motorcycle safety inspection stations differently than other motor vehicle stations... a regular inspection station person told me he couldn't do motorcycles.

Related but separate: In October 2008, a new law allows ATVs to be street-legal, two types -- under 50" and the side-by-side type. That law is much more specific and clear, and the DNR publishes a guideline.

Hope that helps.

TT
All motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973 must be equipped with turn signals (49 CFR 571.108), (UCA 41-6a-160i(c)).

This tid bit is tucked in this document:
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyi...e%20Manual.pdf

I have some Highway patrol buddies, they have ticketed bikes without signals, but they have never looked for DOT tires. Highway patrol seems to be the most stringent, and hip of the law.

I put on signals, I think it smart for the cagers to see them, and sometimes I'm not running DOT tires so I don't risk the hassle. I'm usually on a louder bike, so if an officer see's and hears me, them seeing the signals I think helps avoid a nuisance pull over.

I've always needed signals to get a plate anyways, but I have been tempted to run to a shop that doesn't require them. It sucks that to put on LED's it will run about $200.
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #4127
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Hey Trailtwister:

That nice guy we met at the graveyard, do you remember his name or the website he was talking about? I've had a mental shutdown and forgot both.

Ironically, the copy of "Overland Journal" that he gave me had some really cool articles in it. One is a test of 4 "pannier sized" compressors for expedition motorcycling. Another article was about one man, one Honda TransAlp, eight southern African countries in eight days. Another article was about a guy that did the Continental Divide trail from Canada to Mexico on a bike just like mine. And the last article in the magazine was about one of the editors having an adventurous journey to a mine just outside of Duncan, Arizona. That's the tiny town I grew up in. Amazed me to see it published in a world-wide travel journal.

I may have to subscribe now.

STARSKEY screwed with this post 10-05-2009 at 08:51 AM
STARSKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #4128
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
All motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973 must be equipped with turn signals (49 CFR 571.108), (UCA 41-6a-160i(c)).

This tid bit is tucked in this document:
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyi...e%20Manual.pdf

I have some Highway patrol buddies, they have ticketed bikes without signals, but they have never looked for DOT tires. Highway patrol seems to be the most stringent, and hip of the law.

I put on signals, I think it smart for the cagers to see them, and sometimes I'm not running DOT tires so I don't risk the hassle. I'm usually on a louder bike, so if an officer see's and hears me, them seeing the signals I think helps avoid a nuisance pull over.

I've always needed signals to get a plate anyways, but I have been tempted to run to a shop that doesn't require them. It sucks that to put on LED's it will run about $200.
Thanks for finding the Motorcycle Safety Inspection Manual! That sums it up well. It covers two-wheeled dirt bikes on page 28, and it's consistent with what I found.

No mention of turn signals.

No DOT tires needed. Although it includes the misleading phrase 'highway approved', the tire rule, "j. Tires must be highway approved in accordance with UCA 41-6a-1636". That Utah code says nothing about DOT-certification -- just tread depth, spikes, etc: http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getC...ode=41-6a-1636

The handbook has another rule, for an odometer:
"Working odometers, although not a safety inspection requirement, are nevertheless required on all vehicles in order to be registered in the state of Utah. (UCA 41-1a-901 Odometers required)"

The Utah law, and a few other states' laws have been called 'trail-to-trail' laws. From what I've heard, they're intended for motorcycles manufactured and marketed for off-road use. They intended for limited use of dirt bikes on public highways. Has anyone seen anything about that in Utah? Can the patrolman write a ticket for riding a dirt bike for long freeway distances, or routine city commuting?

Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #4129
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

The Utah law, and a few other states' laws have been called 'trail-to-trail' laws. From what I've heard, they're intended for motorcycles manufactured and marketed for off-road use. They intended for limited use of dirt bikes on public highways. Has anyone seen anything about that in Utah? Can the patrolman write a ticket for riding a dirt bike for long freeway distances, or routine city commuting?

I'll keep a look out for more info about the trail to trail, and ask around.

Utah laws are just like most states, a quagmire of ever ending added laws that get all jumbled up.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #4130
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
I'll keep a look out for more info about the trail to trail, and ask around.

Utah laws are just like most states, a quagmire of ever ending added laws that get all jumbled up.
Laws are one thing......enforcement is more of the issue......if you get stopped and cited, the hassle and expense are not worth the time and money to get it right beforehand......I just don't like civilian/officer confrontations....whatever lowers my risk is worth the investment..........IMHO..........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #4131
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Laws are one thing......enforcement is more of the issue......if you get stopped and cited, the hassle and expense are not worth the time and money to get it right beforehand......I just don't like civilian/officer confrontations....whatever lowers my risk is worth the investment..........IMHO..........
I'm 100% with you, getting pulled over just sucks. I don't want to waste their time, or mine.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #4132
Michelangelo
2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad
on the Stansbury Front Trail
Todd, glad you had a blast. That is one hidden treasure of a trail, esp the far south end.
Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #4133
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 467
Overland adventurer dude

Quote:
The pleasure's mine, Starsky! Thanks for letting me come along, and let's do it again sometime.

TT
Starsky and I met a dude Saturday, with a white 4-door Rover truck machine, all set up for overland adventure touring. Great guy ... I think Mike was his name. He was checking out the Kelton cemetery. Said his buddy writes for Overland Journal and gave us a couple old copies. I'm reading it now ... great magazine!

Glad to meet you, overland adventurer dude!
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #4134
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Picked up an old classic XR600r today. Coming from my hyper Honda 250x, this bike is like a big Cadillac. 270lbs of satisfying thumperama.

Maybe now I'll entertain the idea of riding with some of you who enjoy the dual sport thing.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #4135
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Picked up an old classic XR600r today. Coming from my hyper Honda 250x, this bike is like a big Cadillac. 270lbs of satisfying thumperama.

Maybe now I'll entertain the idea of riding with some of you who enjoy the dual sport thing.
Congratulations on the new ride. Should be a good one. I've always liked the big Hondas. Rode a 650R once that had been modded to electric start. I'd buy one if kicking wasn't the only option!
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #4136
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,723
Thumb Kickin the XR650r, or the XR650 kicks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota
Congratulations on the new ride. Should be a good one. I've always liked the big Hondas. Rode a 650R once that had been modded to electric start. I'd buy one if kicking wasn't the only option!
There is a certain knowledge required, but i can light my XR650R on first kick when cold... turn up the idle, choke if coldish (only for the first kick if moderately cold) find top dead center, and your on.

Congrats on the new ride! Easy valve adjustments, easy everything.

Dirty-Diesel replaced my rings, stator, n headlight, on my 650r and showed me how. also an ace job on hot grips for the KLR250 commuter that he n StanTheMan replaced the cam chain on! (commute on it all winter!)

Pretty straight forward once you see it by a good wrench... did you know aircraft torque wrenches have a log book that's more important than then wrench (which goes to a lab for calibration!!!)? Nice to have the right teacher!

Moab awaits next weekend!

I'm not worthy!!!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #4137
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
There is a certain knowledge required, but i can light my XR650R on first kick when cold... turn up the idle, choke if coldish (only for the first kick if moderately cold) find top dead center, and your on.
Yup, I had the Sensei Master give me the voodoo tricks to kick it over. Working fine in the cold, and butter easy when it's warm

Damn bike sounds like a damn helicopter thumping between your legs.....as weird as that sounds.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #4138
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
damn helicopter thumping between your legs
Pluric say: ... as Sensai Master, think of as 50 horse power vibrator and you be more inclined to get on...

Moab? white rim, lockhart basin, shorter technical rides!???

Name:  moab.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  88.7 KB

yum

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #4139
dumbgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Wink

So Fano, Frog, the Princes and I went to Jerico for round 7 of the AMA national Hare & Hound championship. Frog was the second guy off the amateur start until he went down SO HARD it knocked him back to last week. He got up, bloody nose and all, got back on the bike but funny thing...didn't remember any of it. Came to around mile 30! Mean while, Fano and I got stuck in a swamp that looked more like a Valdeze spill than a desert race. Way Fun. Here's a few picks:

Fano with the engine he finished rebuilding at !0:28pm the night before:

Here's Frog...having a hard time piecing the day together:

Dumb Girl, Frog, Fano, & 35P!

They gave Fano a trophy because they didn't have to send Search & Rescue out to find him at the end of the race.

Now I'm off to Moab for a week with my new bike mount my husband made for me:

Now, other than Hick, who's ready for ski season?
dumbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #4140
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbgirl

Now I'm off to Moab for a week with my new bike mount my husband made for me:

Now, other than Hick, who's ready for ski season?
Hey, DG! Nice Rack!

Yup, got my daughter's skis this weekend, and I will be buying the season pass and hopefully some new tele-sticks this week.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote