ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #4141
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
airjammer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: The Grand Junction, Colorado and H-Town, TX, USA
Oddometer: 278
Getting Plated

Want to get plated. I shouldn't need to modify my bike that much...definately don't want to spend $800 to have the dealer in Centerville do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I did a little research on this. Couldn't find a single concise statement on it, but here're some tidbits:

From Utah DNR State Parks web page, http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/in-state-registration: Off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal if they are safety inspected and insured.

From Utah Off-highway Vehicle Program brochure, http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/OHVlawsBrochure.pdf: Dual sport off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal vehicles if they possess the proper safety equipment, have passed a state safety inspection, and carry the proper insurance, or they may be registered as
off-highway vehicles.

From Utah Code and Constitution, http://www.le.state.ut.us/Documents/code_const.htm:

41-6a-1506. Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes, 41-6a-1625. Horns and warning devices -- Emergency vehicles, 41-6a-1627. Mirrors, 41-6a-1636. Tires which are prohibited -- Regulatory powers of state transportation department -- Winter use of studs -- Special permits -- Tread depth (paraphrased): headlight, tail light, white light to illuminate license plate, rear reflector, stop lamp, braking system, horn audible at 200 ft, muffler, one mirror on left side, tires with certain tread, geometry and stud/ spike restrictions.

edit -- No mention of DOT tire certification.

No mention of turn signals.

As Trackhead said, the inspection stations have discretion, although in my experience, they may not know the exact rules. One guy played like he 'inspected' the tires ... 'Look like DOT tires to me (wink)'. And neither of my two plated bikes (from 4 years ago) had the rear reflector.

I think the state licenses motorcycle safety inspection stations differently than other motor vehicle stations... a regular inspection station person told me he couldn't do motorcycles.

Related but separate: In October 2008, a new law allows ATVs to be street-legal, two types -- under 50" and the side-by-side type. That law is much more specific and clear, and the DNR publishes a guideline.

Hope that helps.

TT
__________________
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.
Edward Abbey
airjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #4142
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Pluric say: ... as Sensai Master, think of as 50 horse power vibrator and you be more inclined to get on...

Moab? white rim, lockhart basin, shorter technical rides!???

Attachment 217101

yum
Yes Grasshopper you have learned well. Now it is time for you to
get off (no pun intended) and find a nice girl.

Do not be as Infidel and choose the path of beastiality.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #4143
quota
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Now, other than Hick, who's ready for ski season?
Not quite yet. Another 6-8 weeks and I should be. Have some rides that I'd still like to do. I did find the snow shovel hidden behind the bike a few days ago. Put it to use this morning to clean off the front deck. Sun should melt everything off of the south facing stuff in a few hours.
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #4144
rkclmbr24
CARNIVOROUS VEGAN
 
rkclmbr24's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The right winged place to live. UT
Oddometer: 376
Good deal on First Gear large tall Denali jacket

Thought maybe you boys could get a good deal on some of this stuff.

http://www.motogearoutlet.com/salerack.htm
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."


WARNING: MOUTH OPERATES FASTER THAN BRAIN!
rkclmbr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #4145
rkclmbr24
CARNIVOROUS VEGAN
 
rkclmbr24's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The right winged place to live. UT
Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Hey, DG! Nice Rack!

Yup, got my daughter's skis this weekend, and I will be buying the season pass and hopefully some new tele-sticks this week.
Yup, just got my B.D. Zealots in yesterday with some 01 bindings and skins for the ski season. I am really psyched!
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."


WARNING: MOUTH OPERATES FASTER THAN BRAIN!
rkclmbr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #4146
GISkev
wwfsmd?
 
GISkev's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: UT
Oddometer: 1,709
Split board season?

http://www.xmission.com/~slcorganics/kev/20090215_ToledoBowl.wmv

You gotta turn up the music for this one...
__________________
Merge w the traffic, but don't go w the flow!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #4147
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Skiing Timp via the "glacier" tomorrow. Always good preseason turns with the bit of new snow we have.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #4148
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Skiing Timp via the "glacier" tomorrow. Always good preseason turns with the bit of new snow we have.
Once again...get a job ya freakin bum!
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #4149
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.
 
Todd-Squad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The great state of Utah
Oddometer: 767
DOT is enforcing Turn Signals this year.

I can tell you from personal experience, the DOT is enforcing turn signals this year. They have not enforced that specific requirement in the past. An odometer is required, but it does not have to show actual miles. In other words, they will pass it with a trip meter only. I think most reputable stations do check for DOT tires. If you have specific questions, you can call the Highway Patrol and ask to speak with the officer over vehicle inspections.

Todd-Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
I did a little research on this. Couldn't find a single concise statement on it, but here're some tidbits:

From Utah DNR State Parks web page, http://stateparks.utah.gov/ohv/in-state-registration: Off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal if they are safety inspected and insured.

From Utah Off-highway Vehicle Program brochure, http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/OHVlawsBrochure.pdf: Dual sport off-highway motorcycles may be registered as street legal vehicles if they possess the proper safety equipment, have passed a state safety inspection, and carry the proper insurance, or they may be registered as
off-highway vehicles.

From Utah Code and Constitution, http://www.le.state.ut.us/Documents/code_const.htm:

41-6a-1506. Motorcycles -- Required equipment -- Brakes, 41-6a-1625. Horns and warning devices -- Emergency vehicles, 41-6a-1627. Mirrors, 41-6a-1636. Tires which are prohibited -- Regulatory powers of state transportation department -- Winter use of studs -- Special permits -- Tread depth (paraphrased): headlight, tail light, white light to illuminate license plate, rear reflector, stop lamp, braking system, horn audible at 200 ft, muffler, one mirror on left side, tires with certain tread, geometry and stud/ spike restrictions.

edit -- No mention of DOT tire certification.

No mention of turn signals.

As Trackhead said, the inspection stations have discretion, although in my experience, they may not know the exact rules. One guy played like he 'inspected' the tires ... 'Look like DOT tires to me (wink)'. And neither of my two plated bikes (from 4 years ago) had the rear reflector.

I think the state licenses motorcycle safety inspection stations differently than other motor vehicle stations... a regular inspection station person told me he couldn't do motorcycles.

Related but separate: In October 2008, a new law allows ATVs to be street-legal, two types -- under 50" and the side-by-side type. That law is much more specific and clear, and the DNR publishes a guideline.

Hope that helps.

TT
__________________
A ride you say? When and Where?
My Favorite Pics
Todd-Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #4150
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Anyone else thinking along these lines?
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #4151
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad
I can tell you from personal experience, the DOT is enforcing turn signals this year. They have not enforced that specific requirement in the past. An odometer is required, but it does not have to show actual miles. In other words, they will pass it with a trip meter only. I think most reputable stations do check for DOT tires. If you have specific questions, you can call the Highway Patrol and ask to speak with the officer over vehicle inspections.

Todd-Squad
Exception to every rule. I just had my plated CRF230 inspected. It passed
not having an odometer and it has non DOT knobby tires.
When asked the mileage I just said "This is an off road conversion.
Never had a speedometer".
The Texaco on the corner of 3900 South and 2300 East passed it.
When I plated the Rhino they passed it with the stock tires.

Last year the Minute Lube on 4500 South and about 2350 East passed the
same setup.

Ya just never know.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #4152
YOGOI
Prick
 
YOGOI's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Anyone else thinking along these lines?
Ya, you betchya!!!!!
A few of my buddys and I have been run'n em around the hills here for a couple of years now. They do really well.



[IMG]
http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" />http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTAxMTg3MjYwJms9YndWZHEmYT03NTc1NDQwX1Vt Q0p4JnU9WU9HT0k=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true">
__________________
Any bike can be taken off road. The question is; How much fun did you have doing it?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #4153
YOGOI
Prick
 
YOGOI's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 3,452
[IMG]
__________________
Any bike can be taken off road. The question is; How much fun did you have doing it?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #4154
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
Ya, you betchya!!!!!
A few of my buddys and I have been run'n em around the hills here for a couple of years now. They do really well.



[IMG]

http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" />

http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTAxMTg3MjYwJms9YndWZHEmYT03NTc1NDQwX1Vt Q0p4JnU9WU9HT0k=" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true">
Does anyone know if on the snowmobile conversion kit one has to worry about cracking something when you lay it over on one of these half bike half snowmobile things?

I'm just curious if anything normally breaks when you lay it over and really hot engine meets really cold snow.


__________________
Vrrrrrrrrrrooooooooommmmmmmmmm!!!
terracruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #4155
MSH
The Salt
 
MSH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Anyone else thinking along these lines?
Looks like a blast!
__________________
~KTM 640 Adventure R~
"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014