ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #4171
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Good idea but, I also need a paycheck!
Sadly yes.

If we weren't all so damn greedy
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #4172
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer
 
BrShootr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 901
Soooooooo......


after whinning enough about not having a lighter bike....destiny has put an offer for me to trade my DL1000 for a 690 SMC.

I know it's not the enduro, but it's very close. Any of you FFs familiar w/ that bike to tell me wether or not it would be a good choice for the DS riding we usually do around UT?

I will probably still get a 450 or 230 in the future for single track. If yer not familiar with the bike, are the 17" rims that big of a pain on trails? I don't think I can put a larger rim on that bike, so i'd be stuck with it.
__________________
As long as I am the big spoon!!!
BrShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #4173
Trailtwister
To the peak!
 
Trailtwister's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lick City
Oddometer: 459
Spin?

Any Utards wanna go for a spin? Dunno where... West desert to Bendover? Some mountain roads are prob'ly still passable with BADBs (bigass dirtbikes). Could we loop thru the Swell and back in one day? Open for suggestions.
__________________
TrailTwister

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #4174
Ryman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
Soooooooo......


after whinning enough about not having a lighter bike....destiny has put an offer for me to trade my DL1000 for a 690 SMC.

I know it's not the enduro, but it's very close. Any of you FFs familiar w/ that bike to tell me wether or not it would be a good choice for the DS riding we usually do around UT?

I will probably still get a 450 or 230 in the future for single track. If yer not familiar with the bike, are the 17" rims that big of a pain on trails? I don't think I can put a larger rim on that bike, so i'd be stuck with it.
Go for it. You should check the 690 thread....I totally think you can put a 21,18 combo on it. It'll kick ass over the suzuki.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643

It's in there.......somewhere!
__________________

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #4175
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure
 
Fjr eh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 45
Mineral Fork Trail

We're going to give it a go on Thursday.
It looks like a short ride, is there any rides you locals recommend before we head to moab?

Thanks,

Mark
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #4176
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
We're going to give it a go on Thursday.
It looks like a short ride, is there any rides you locals recommend before we head to moab?

Thanks,

Mark
I rode it today. There is significant snow before the two mile mark, and as you approach the mine/switchbacks, the snow is too deep for a motorcycle. It is unlikely that it will melt out any time soon.

-American Fork canyon (single track) still has an inch or two of snow in many places. It might be ok next week, but if it's muddy, please don't ride there. American Fork is somewhat of a sensitive area in regards to moto/mountain bikers. It's possible it could dry out and be great riding next week.
-Stansbury Front single track might also be drying out.

trackhead screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 09:04 PM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #4177
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure
 
Fjr eh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 45
Crap!

I have to reminded myself that we're at Sea level.
There is some snow at Whistler (2010 winter Olympics).

How far up is the snow? half way or further.
Is it still worth the ride?

We'll be staying on the east side of Salt Lake a couple of valleys north of Mineral fork Trail.
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #4178
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Any Utards wanna go for a spin? Dunno where... West desert to Bendover? Some mountain roads are prob'ly still passable with BADBs (bigass dirtbikes). Could we loop thru the Swell and back in one day? Open for suggestions.
I'm up for a ride on Sunday; 10am-4pm would work best. Dirt sounds good.
Call me if you're interested: ate oh won fife syx oh too free oh fife
__________________
Vrrrrrrrrrrooooooooommmmmmmmmm!!!
terracruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4179
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer
 
BrShootr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
Go for it. You should check the 690 thread....I totally think you can put a 21,18 combo on it. It'll kick ass over the suzuki.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643

It's in there.......somewhere!
I'm now thinking about this deal under the assumption that I can't change the rims. The calipers supposedly won't clear the larger front rim, also the disk is larger on the SMC then on the Enduro (so, at least it won't be a straight upgrade).

Regardless, I agree....it'll suit me better then the DL1000 for now, so if this deal doens't work, a 690 enduro is coming next spring.

Problem is I won't have the excuse of blaming the bike for lagging behind everyone anymore!
__________________
As long as I am the big spoon!!!
BrShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #4180
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
I'm now thinking about this deal under the assumption that I can't change the rims. The calipers supposedly won't clear the larger front rim, also the disk is larger on the SMC then on the Enduro (so, at least it won't be a straight upgrade).

Regardless, I agree....it'll suit me better then the DL1000 for now, so if this deal doens't work, a 690 enduro is coming next spring.

Problem is I won't have the excuse of blaming the bike for lagging behind everyone anymore!
You won't have the same range, that being said, I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Carnal relationships with a hottie that only lasts a few minutes beats carnal relationships with a hag that lasts a lifetime.

Fortunately, I have the hottie for a lifetime...and my wife ain't too shabby either!
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #4181
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
I'm up for a ride on Sunday; 10am-4pm would work best. Dirt sounds good.
Call me if you're interested: ate oh won fife syx oh too free oh fife
My wife and daughter are going to Disneyland this weekend. I am working like an aged whore, so can't join them. But I do have Sunday free with no obligations whatsoever. We can start with B'fast at my place again if it'll do ya fine.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #4182
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
I have to reminded myself that we're at Sea level.
There is some snow at Whistler (2010 winter Olympics).

How far up is the snow? half way or further.
Is it still worth the ride?
The closest, worthy destination to ride single track is American Fork Canyon. Otherwise, the central Wasatch Mtns are off limits to motorized travel except Mineral Fork. American Fork is a 30 minute drive south of SLC and costs $6.00 American Pesos to enter the canyon for three days.

Trail starts around 6,500ft. At present, you can ride half of it. It won't melt out to the top this year unless because the upper switchbacks face north and get very little direct sun. Worth it? Maybe if you're doing a ride over Big Cottonwood Canyon and you want to check it out on the way.

The Stansbury Front single track might be dry. You'll drive right by it on your way to SLC from the west.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #4183
Trailtwister
To the peak!
 
Trailtwister's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lick City
Oddometer: 459
Springville or Cherry Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
We're going to give it a go on Thursday.
It looks like a short ride, is there any rides you locals recommend before we head to moab?

Thanks,

Mark
Two other places are really better riding but further away.

Right Fork Hobble Creek, East of Springville has a couple trailheads to the 'Center Trail System'. Its my favorite single track network, period. It may be sloppy in some north slopes, especially between 5th water and 2nd water creeks, but I'd bet there's plenty of good.

Cherry Creek is just West of Eureka. There's trails everywhere in those mountains. Lots of tight-n-twisties up in the junipers (it's where I earned my handle). Little Sahara sand dunes are close too. Way good riding and definitely dry enough now.
__________________
TrailTwister

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #4184
Trailtwister
To the peak!
 
Trailtwister's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lick City
Oddometer: 459
Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
My wife and daughter are going to Disneyland this weekend. I am working like an aged whore, so can't join them. But I do have Sunday free with no obligations whatsoever. We can start with B'fast at my place again if it'll do ya fine.
Nice of you to offer... You are some kind of breakfast superwhore -er- superhero. Lets figure out where we're going ... If South, maybe I can throw the breakfast. Any ideas for a route? Looks Terracruz might go too. I really want to ride in the San Rafael Swell, but that may be too far for a single day. There's a few dirt roads and an ATV trail South of Utah Lake, connecting with Highway 6(?) 'tween Nephi and Jerico. That could work. Sometime this fall/winter I want to ride from Lookout Pass/ Pony Express Trail West to Nevada, N to Wendover and back on I80.

I may go for a spin today too...
__________________
TrailTwister

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #4185
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Nice of you to offer... You are some kind of breakfast superwhore -er- superhero. Lets figure out where we're going ... If South, maybe I can throw the breakfast. Any ideas for a route? Looks Terracruz might go too. I really want to ride in the San Rafael Swell, but that may be too far for a single day. There's a few dirt roads and an ATV trail South of Utah Lake, connecting with Highway 6(?) 'tween Nephi and Jerico. That could work. Sometime this fall/winter I want to ride from Lookout Pass/ Pony Express Trail West to Nevada, N to Wendover and back on I80.

I may go for a spin today too...
I was thinking maybe link up 5-mile with Cherry Creek. I think it can be done and I would rather explore fun roads than ride lame ones I have already done (PET).
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014