ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #4171
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Good idea but, I also need a paycheck!
Sadly yes.

If we weren't all so damn greedy
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #4172
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Soooooooo......

after whinning enough about not having a lighter bike....destiny has put an offer for me to trade my DL1000 for a 690 SMC.

I know it's not the enduro, but it's very close. Any of you FFs familiar w/ that bike to tell me wether or not it would be a good choice for the DS riding we usually do around UT?

I will probably still get a 450 or 230 in the future for single track. If yer not familiar with the bike, are the 17" rims that big of a pain on trails? I don't think I can put a larger rim on that bike, so i'd be stuck with it.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #4173
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 459
Spin?

Any Utards wanna go for a spin? Dunno where... West desert to Bendover? Some mountain roads are prob'ly still passable with BADBs (bigass dirtbikes). Could we loop thru the Swell and back in one day? Open for suggestions.

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #4174
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
Soooooooo......

after whinning enough about not having a lighter bike....destiny has put an offer for me to trade my DL1000 for a 690 SMC.

I know it's not the enduro, but it's very close. Any of you FFs familiar w/ that bike to tell me wether or not it would be a good choice for the DS riding we usually do around UT?

I will probably still get a 450 or 230 in the future for single track. If yer not familiar with the bike, are the 17" rims that big of a pain on trails? I don't think I can put a larger rim on that bike, so i'd be stuck with it.
Go for it. You should check the 690 thread....I totally think you can put a 21,18 combo on it. It'll kick ass over the suzuki.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643

It's in there.......somewhere!

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #4175
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
Mineral Fork Trail

We're going to give it a go on Thursday.
It looks like a short ride, is there any rides you locals recommend before we head to moab?

Thanks,

Mark
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #4176
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
It looks like a short ride, is there any rides you locals recommend before we head to moab?

Thanks,

Mark
I rode it today. There is significant snow before the two mile mark, and as you approach the mine/switchbacks, the snow is too deep for a motorcycle. It is unlikely that it will melt out any time soon.

-American Fork canyon (single track) still has an inch or two of snow in many places. It might be ok next week, but if it's muddy, please don't ride there. American Fork is somewhat of a sensitive area in regards to moto/mountain bikers. It's possible it could dry out and be great riding next week.
-Stansbury Front single track might also be drying out.

trackhead screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 09:04 PM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #4177
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
Crap!

I have to reminded myself that we're at Sea level.
There is some snow at Whistler (2010 winter Olympics).

How far up is the snow? half way or further.
Is it still worth the ride?

We'll be staying on the east side of Salt Lake a couple of valleys north of Mineral fork Trail.
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #4178
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Any Utards wanna go for a spin? Dunno where... West desert to Bendover? Some mountain roads are prob'ly still passable with BADBs (bigass dirtbikes). Could we loop thru the Swell and back in one day? Open for suggestions.
I'm up for a ride on Sunday; 10am-4pm would work best. Dirt sounds good.
Call me if you're interested: ate oh won fife syx oh too free oh fife
Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4179
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
Go for it. You should check the 690 thread....I totally think you can put a 21,18 combo on it. It'll kick ass over the suzuki.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137643

It's in there.......somewhere!
I'm now thinking about this deal under the assumption that I can't change the rims. The calipers supposedly won't clear the larger front rim, also the disk is larger on the SMC then on the Enduro (so, at least it won't be a straight upgrade).

Regardless, I agree....it'll suit me better then the DL1000 for now, so if this deal doens't work, a 690 enduro is coming next spring.

Problem is I won't have the excuse of blaming the bike for lagging behind everyone anymore!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #4180
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
I'm now thinking about this deal under the assumption that I can't change the rims. The calipers supposedly won't clear the larger front rim, also the disk is larger on the SMC then on the Enduro (so, at least it won't be a straight upgrade).

Regardless, I agree....it'll suit me better then the DL1000 for now, so if this deal doens't work, a 690 enduro is coming next spring.

Problem is I won't have the excuse of blaming the bike for lagging behind everyone anymore!
You won't have the same range, that being said, I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Carnal relationships with a hottie that only lasts a few minutes beats carnal relationships with a hag that lasts a lifetime.

Fortunately, I have the hottie for a lifetime...and my wife ain't too shabby either!
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 AM   #4181
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
I'm up for a ride on Sunday; 10am-4pm would work best. Dirt sounds good.
Call me if you're interested: ate oh won fife syx oh too free oh fife
My wife and daughter are going to Disneyland this weekend. I am working like an aged whore, so can't join them. But I do have Sunday free with no obligations whatsoever. We can start with B'fast at my place again if it'll do ya fine.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #4182
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
I have to reminded myself that we're at Sea level.
There is some snow at Whistler (2010 winter Olympics).

How far up is the snow? half way or further.
Is it still worth the ride?
The closest, worthy destination to ride single track is American Fork Canyon. Otherwise, the central Wasatch Mtns are off limits to motorized travel except Mineral Fork. American Fork is a 30 minute drive south of SLC and costs $6.00 American Pesos to enter the canyon for three days.

Trail starts around 6,500ft. At present, you can ride half of it. It won't melt out to the top this year unless because the upper switchbacks face north and get very little direct sun. Worth it? Maybe if you're doing a ride over Big Cottonwood Canyon and you want to check it out on the way.

The Stansbury Front single track might be dry. You'll drive right by it on your way to SLC from the west.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #4183
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Springville or Cherry Creek

Quote:

Thanks,

Mark
Two other places are really better riding but further away.

Right Fork Hobble Creek, East of Springville has a couple trailheads to the 'Center Trail System'. Its my favorite single track network, period. It may be sloppy in some north slopes, especially between 5th water and 2nd water creeks, but I'd bet there's plenty of good.

Cherry Creek is just West of Eureka. There's trails everywhere in those mountains. Lots of tight-n-twisties up in the junipers (it's where I earned my handle). Little Sahara sand dunes are close too. Way good riding and definitely dry enough now.

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #4184
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
My wife and daughter are going to Disneyland this weekend. I am working like an aged whore, so can't join them. But I do have Sunday free with no obligations whatsoever. We can start with B'fast at my place again if it'll do ya fine.
Nice of you to offer... You are some kind of breakfast superwhore -er- superhero. Lets figure out where we're going ... If South, maybe I can throw the breakfast. Any ideas for a route? Looks Terracruz might go too. I really want to ride in the San Rafael Swell, but that may be too far for a single day. There's a few dirt roads and an ATV trail South of Utah Lake, connecting with Highway 6(?) 'tween Nephi and Jerico. That could work. Sometime this fall/winter I want to ride from Lookout Pass/ Pony Express Trail West to Nevada, N to Wendover and back on I80.

I may go for a spin today too...

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #4185
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Nice of you to offer... You are some kind of breakfast superwhore -er- superhero. Lets figure out where we're going ... If South, maybe I can throw the breakfast. Any ideas for a route? Looks Terracruz might go too. I really want to ride in the San Rafael Swell, but that may be too far for a single day. There's a few dirt roads and an ATV trail South of Utah Lake, connecting with Highway 6(?) 'tween Nephi and Jerico. That could work. Sometime this fall/winter I want to ride from Lookout Pass/ Pony Express Trail West to Nevada, N to Wendover and back on I80.

I may go for a spin today too...
I was thinking maybe link up 5-mile with Cherry Creek. I think it can be done and I would rather explore fun roads than ride lame ones I have already done (PET).
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah