ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #4336
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
-center of gravity (physicists, please correct me!, what the hell is moment of inertia? )
-weight
-security (if needed, usually not)

What did i miss?
The ONLY thing I don't like about carrying gear in the Giant Loop fashion is on really technical terrain when you have to get WAY back on the seat for a big drop, is the gear bag hits you in the ass. That's about the only advantage I can see for paniers.

My old XRR has a big steel sub-frame. No worries for the yank and crank on that pig.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #4337
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
what the hell is moment of inertia?
Moment of inertia can be thought of as an objects resistance to rotation about a given axis.

You're thinking to much Kev. KISS

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #4338
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Piggy Alert:

If anybody has a spare OIL FILTER COVER O-RING (GASKET) PN - 11335-mbn-670 for an XRR 650, please PM or email me. I have #3 coming 3-day delivery and can replace it ASAP.

Background: Piggy doesn't swim well and current o-ring is torn.....

None of the local Honda dealers will admit to having one in stock.....3-5 day delivery.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #4339
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Riding this loop friday around the Great Salt Lake. Leaving my house in Sandy at 7am. Longest stretch between fuel looks to be 150 miles. I'm adding the Skyline Drive if I feel like it to avoid any bits of slab.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...001c0f20c9d808
Route looks good, have you ridden it before? I've never been on the road that cuts across the lake just west of Ogden.

Through the Impact area, they like you to stay on the main road.

I like your route, we rode too much slab. If the Impact area is closed, you'll have a much longer reroute. The slab did help on time though.

NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #4340
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Piggy Alert:

If anybody has a spare OIL FILTER COVER O-RING (GASKET) PN - 11335-mbn-670 for an XRR 650, please PM or email me. I have #3 coming 3-day delivery and can replace it ASAP.

Background: Piggy doesn't swim well and current o-ring is torn.....

None of the local Honda dealers will admit to having one in stock.....3-5 day delivery.......
Some nice pictures on that ride, how long did it take to get your pig running again?
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #4341
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
Route looks good, have you ridden it before? I've never been on the road that cuts across the lake just west of Ogden.

Through the Impact area, they like you to stay on the main road.

I like your route, we rode too much slab. If the Impact area is closed, you'll have a much longer reroute. The slab did help on time though.
Haven't ridden it yet. I was planning on doing it friday, but now the idea of riding through Ogden back to Sandy makes me want to just kick myself in the balls.

I'm going to go ride the West and NW sections of the route and skip the slab.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #4342
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
makes me want to just kick myself in the balls.
Could you get some helmet cam video of that. I need a better mental image!

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #4343
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus
That is one of my designs. Planning on marketing them. Fits a saddle bag system. Working on a web sight but not there yet. Will send info if interested. Have designs for XR, 990 KTM, old KLR...
Dude... I am interested. PM me with pics, cost and details.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #4344
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,659
Wink Stansbury Front on Sat...

Commander51 and a few of his desert racers chums, DanTheMan & I are taking light bikes on the Stansbury Front single track... we'll likely be leaving SLC around 8:30 and hauling the bikes since those guys aren't street legal.

tag along if you like!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #4345
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 461
Ride

I know you're skeptical, since I wussed out the last couple times. But I wanna ri--f%cking--de.

Is what we ought to do is ... sneak, bob and weave all day Saturday through the Swell and end up at a motel in Green River (maybe bring the sleeping bag and a tarp just to keep the options open). Sunday we ride the White Rim Trail and then blast back to Slick, maybe a little in the dark.

Takers?

Gravity sucks -- Isaac Newton (loosely paraphrased)
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #4346
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Tow job

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus
Henderson Wheel on 300 west / 1700 is so has everything a person could want for trailer fab /rebuild.
I wuz wonderin what happened to that trailer. I just figger'd you trailered to a riding spot and then, after the ride you didn't want to get back in the car. So you towed the car home on the trailer, with the LC8. No?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #4347
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman
Moment of inertia can be thought of as an objects resistance to rotation about a given axis.

It's all coming back to me now. Moment of Inhersha is:

The tendency of your object to stay in her 'sha' for as long as the moment will last, or until an equal and opposite object interrupts. (Then it's inhersha-interruptus).

The universe is infinite. Therefore, every single Utard is at the center of the universe.

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #4348
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman

Moment of inertia is what you use to prove people wrong when they think that counter steering makes a bike turn in the opposite direction of the direction you press your handlebars because of the gyroscopic effects of the front wheel as opposed to the frictional force between the tire and the road along with the round cross-section of the tire allowing it to form a cone when the contact patch is extended to form a full circle.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #4349
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
not too late...

Attachment 218014
This is such an awesome picture. I say it deserves to be on the front page.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #4350
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Are those for hard bags? looks solid!

if so, they'd be perfect for chill touring! I'm an enemy of hard bags for the tougher DS stuff though (paging dumbGRRRRRL on last Moab trip...). I nearly broke my leg on a KLX 650 somewhere between SLC and Cedar City (solo, but w/ SPOT) in the bfe west dez by dropping a foot for a turn and having the Pelican case crush from the knee down (paging Hick for bone names...) and don't advise hard cases for anything tough-ish. actually just a big bruise and the fear of God in nowhereland.

I'm running the soft dirt-bagz now, and for big tours security for "your precious" amounts to nothin' w/soft bags (but wear a bullet proof vest if i'm actually near by & yer jackin my shit)

Do ADV riders get a homie discount? I'd run hard bags on some of the stuff i ride, but do note the broken lower leg syndrome... I'd be interested in a hard/soft option (dirt-bags are soft only!; begin Pluric/Infidel crass sex ref here...) so i'll be awaiting the release of the excellent experience design of the Harcus rack! Woo -Hoo!

I modded (Stan "the Man", modded) my subframe to handle XR650R w/ dirt-bagz to handle some extra abuse (...like, pick the piggy up by the tail rack!... research for the Hickster! KTM's suck!... Wanna trade, since they suck?) anyway, hauling gear is a function of numerous factors...

-center of gravity (physicists, please correct me!, what the hell is moment of inertia? )
-weight
-security (if needed, usually not)

What did i miss?

I'd like to see an equation that computes the optimal luggage system for varying agendas...

Thoughts, anyone?
Yes, those are hard bags. It's a custom fiberglass box designed for Dual Sport abuse. Size is 18 L x 15 H x 8 W & attaches to the support brackets with a quick release latch system.

The racks are .75 in dia steel tube MIG/TIG welded & ties in to major structure points on the frame. On the XR, there are added support struts that triangulate the structure to avoid subframe issues.

I have been developing these for several years & regularly carry 1 gal of gas on each bag (7 lbs) & plenty of tools, gear, etc. My recent trip to Moab & had 100 lbs in gear, tents, etc. These were designed particularly for a good fatigue life with hi loads. I have read too many threads of guys in Columbia (etc) looking for a welder. Ridiculous!

Since my plan is to sell these, along with many other products I have developed, I will post a thread in Vendors to introduce everything. We have been working the web site but we are not quite ready.

One of the major features of this bag systems is that all bikes use the same bags. Only the rack / bracket system changes by bike. This means you can buy only one set of bags & move them between yout XR, your KTM, your KLR....whatever. You save money & avoid packing & repacking.

Here is a shot of the bags on the XR...

Give me a few days, I have more info in Vendors.

Thanks for the interest...
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote