ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #5821
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad
My youngest son has been jones'n for a 250X. He want's to upgrade his 230. It seems the 250's consistently have valve issues if they are raced. Folks that just do normal trail ridding don't seem to have much trouble. From what I have read, there are some after market valves that seem to fix the problem. So the good news is, if they do fail, you only have to fix them once. I'm not sure if the 450's have the same issue or not.

If you want sweet transmission ratios, then you need a late '90's DR350. It's a tad heavy, decent power, but no KTM, but it has one sweet trany. I've not ever ridden a 4-stroke that lugged so well.
I have an '05 250x.

04-05 right intakes on these bikes zero'd quickly for some folks. I put Kibble White stainless valves in on mine and now have over 3,000 miles on them. They have not moved at all.

If he gets the 250x be sure to do the CCC mods (open airbox, rejet, accelerator pump mod, exhaust baffle drill out) to get the most out of the bike. All nearly free mods that make the little 250 haul just fine.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #5822
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,689
Go to TT (thumpertalk) to read about the CRF valves......

It's easier to find model specific information on their threads IMHO...
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #5823
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Go to TT (thumpertalk) to read about the CRF valves......

It's easier to find model specific information on their threads IMHO...
Ride the bike until the valves zero, then put in Kibble Whites valves/springs. Have AS Racing do the work, he's THE most reputable shop for Kibble Whites and works through CRF's Only website. His prices are more than reasonable, turn around time is quick, etc. When you get the new valves, consider dropping in an 07R head with bigger intakes/exhaust ports for a bit more hp. Then, while you're their, drop in a Hot Cam Stage 1 for more mid range ooomph and easy 3rd gear wheelies. All this if you're the tinkering type, like myself.

Working on the CRF's motor is really easy, simple, and quick. It's like chump work compared to the million bolts on an old XR. I could put a new head on a CRF in a couple hours or less, that easy.

trackhead screwed with this post 02-12-2010 at 09:20 AM
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #5824
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy

Oddometer: 300
Wicked This weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Where is everyone headed this weekend?
Kev and I were talking about Delle to Knolls and back

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #5825
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy

Oddometer: 300
Eek 250x 450x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
Is that the 230L? I might be buying one of those in the near, or far, future. It's nice having a ridiculously lightweight bike to play around.

I'm hoping that by sticking to the CRFX or EXC/XC-W that the wide ratio tranny will make things a bit easier on the trails. I had no problems controlling the power in Hick's 950SE when I tried going slow and steady, or with Frog's 990ADV. I know the 450 will be a completely different beast but I am a believer in always getting equipment a bit beyond one's skill level and just getting used to it. If you're not being challenged into improving your skill level, what's the point of doing something new?
Buy an 06 or newer! I have both 250x and 450x which are 2006 models. The 250x was
a kid's bike until I put on a Jardine full exhaust. Now, the motor winds up and the suspension is plush and near perfect stock for single track. I haven't done any airbox mods, wire clipping or even jetting and it runs great!
On the other hand, the 450x has abrupt acceleration much more than any KTM that I have ridden and somewhat harsh suspension but it is pretty damn perfect (within one click) for desert riding the way it is. I just took off the stock exhaust and put on a full titanium exhaust. I feel like it was a mistake to mess with a perfect running bike just to turn it blue but it is a matter of patience, I guess. I weighed 170 pounds last summer but probably weigh more after winter feasting. The only people that really bitch about the 450x in the desert weigh 200 or more

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #5826
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1one
Buy an 06 or newer! I have both 250x and 450x which are 2006 models. The 250x was
a kid's bike until I put on a Jardine full exhaust. Now, the motor winds up and the suspension is plush and near perfect stock for single track. I haven't done any airbox mods, wire clipping or even jetting and it runs great!
On the other hand, the 450x has abrupt acceleration much more than any KTM that I have ridden and somewhat harsh suspension but it is pretty damn perfect (within one click) for desert riding the way it is. I just took off the stock exhaust and put on a full titanium exhaust. I feel like it was a mistake to mess with a perfect running bike just to turn it blue but it is a matter of patience, I guess. I weighed 170 pounds last summer but probably weigh more after winter feasting. The only people that really bitch about the 450x in the desert weigh 200 or more and ride Suzuki's......

Fixified........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #5827
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,915
We've all become a little spoiled with all the variety out there.
To argue over a wide ratio or close ratio, 250,400,450,525,
carb over FI, inverted forks over standard..... blah, blah, blah.

Just about anything you buy out there is going to be more bike
than most are riders. The average guy wouldn't know the difference
of any of the above mentioned debate if you handed him the bike
and said "Go try this".

I'm old school and can enjoy anything with a motor.

I would still say so much of the cutting edge performance available
today is wasted on egos larger than their riding ability. Just sayin'

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #5828
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric

Nice........lace-up boots?......the original "full face helmet"....prolly leather gloves.......reminds me of an old Hodaka I used to know.......
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #5829
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Is that the 230L? I might be buying one of those in the near, or far, future. It's nice having a ridiculously lightweight bike to play around.

I'm hoping that by sticking to the CRFX or EXC/XC-W that the wide ratio tranny will make things a bit easier on the trails. I had no problems controlling the power in Hick's 950SE when I tried going slow and steady, or with Frog's 990ADV. I know the 450 will be a completely different beast but I am a believer in always getting equipment a bit beyond one's skill level and just getting used to it. If you're not being challenged into improving your skill level, what's the point of doing something new?
I'd rather ride a bike with shit suspension and brakes as a first dirt bike. That way you learn how to be smooth and ride a pos. A setup bike can he new dirt riders into a world of trouble.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #5830
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
I'd rather ride a bike with shit suspension and brakes as a first dirt bike. That way you learn how to be smooth and ride a pos. A setup bike can he new dirt riders into a world of trouble.
Amen
Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #5831
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Nice........lace-up boots?......the original "full face helmet"....prolly leather gloves.......reminds me of an old Hodaka I used to know.......
At one time I had 6 Hodakas.

Linesman boots were the bomb back then.
Football front guard wrapped with duct tape made a 3/4 a full helmet.

I think I still have the manuals and repair tools for the engine.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #5832
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
That's a good logic. What's your suggestion? Or are you telling me that the 450XC is a bike with shit suspension and brakes?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #5833
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
That's a good logic. What's your suggestion? Or are you telling me that the 450XC is a bike with shit suspension and brakes?
No, sounds like he is saying it would be a bike with incredible suspension
and brakes with a shit rider.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #5834
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:

I would still say so much of the cutting edge performance available
today is wasted on egos larger than their riding ability. Just sayin'
110% accurate. Great quote.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #5835
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
At one time I had 6 Hodakas.

Linesman boots were the bomb back then.
Football front guard wrapped with duct tape made a 3/4 a full helmet.

I think I still have the manuals and repair tools for the engine.
Hodakas were da bomb........back in those days.......course my memory isn't as OLD as yours but I remember riding a Maico before they did paint and that was an "exotic".........

I know you like it cause it's yaller........