ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #6046
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
There is this style that hold the bike like a work stand.

I don't know if I'd feel that good about the lack of wheel support.

I made mine with a trailer rail and iron. It's not light
but I would put anything on it I felt the hitch could handle.
Dumbgirls got one of those it is horrible. Unstable and a pita to get the bike on there. Save your money and buy a tray system.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #6047
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Clean CR

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...lpid=5&cat=236

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #6048
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
Does a person have to license and insure their trailer in Utah?
The insurance issue depends on your auto insurance company. I used to use Allstate and now I have American Family. They both extend coverage to the trailer while it is being towed by your vehicle.

Todd-Squad
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #6049
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo
My son (6.5 yrs old) has been riding an OSET (www.osetbikes) for a bit now and while it is a great bike for practicing in the back yard (adjustable speed, light, and no noise!) he is super comfortable on it and at some point needs to move to something that can be ridden some distance on the trail (battery only runs for about an hour). I think the 50cc Japan bikes are a bit heavy and likely too small (he's a big kid and growing fast - 4'5" so far). A 65cc shifter might be a bit of a jump for him but I think he'd get it pretty fast. I'd need to buy something used and I'm hoping I could get something to last a few years, but I don't want to get him on something that will scare him too much. He's really comfortable on his OSET and great on bikes too, so he's pretty confident.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should look at next for him? Anyone have any bikes they are interested in selling?

Looking for some wisdom from the Utards...

Thanks.
I would try to find a Yamaha TTR90. You can only find used ones, because a year or two ago they discontinued it and now they make a 110. I have owned two of them. They are really bullet proof. I like them because they have enough power to ride with large bikes, but smooth power delivery so they wont scare you or your son. They have a 3 speed transmission but no clutch. Seat height is lower than a Honda XR80. Originally they had a kick start, later they came out with an electric start. I had my first one for 3 or 4 years, I even found a guy on eBay that sold me a piece that raised the rear end about 1 1/2" which gave my youngest son an extra year on the bike.

I would stay away from the little Kawasaki's. There is a reason that they have the lowest resale value. We went ridding with friends once and their Kawi 50 wouldn't go up a slight hill, they also had a Kawi 110 or 120, I forget the exact model, it couldn't keep up with the Yamaha 90. Speed isn't everything at that size, but it didn't have as much torque for climbing either.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #6050
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
Have any of you guys used one of those hitch bike racks? I'm talking the ones you ride your dirt bike up to and just chain it down, as opposed to the ones you hang your mountain bike to. Seems like a 250lb bike could easily be carried by a car that can handle the tongue weight.

I use one. Found it on ksl.com for about $70. I'm not much for pulling a trailer unless absolutely necessary (more tires, bearings, and lights that can fail). The hitch rack is great because we can get 3 bikes in the back of the truck and then one on the hitch carrier. Hitch carrier is easy for one person to load.
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #6051
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
I would try to find a Yamaha TTR90.
That sounds like pretty good advice. I'm mostly wondering what will happen with the size / ability thing. He's pretty tall for a little guy so I want him to have something that doesn't scare him but has some chance to grow with him from a performace perspective. I'm not a moto-dad but think that he'll be chasing me around pretty soon considering how well he rides his OSET and the fact that he was riding slickrock stuff on his bike at 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ct4IMTPm_4
Quote:
Katoom Mini-Adventure.
Does anyone know much about these? They certainly look like nice bikes but I've heard they are 'racy' and require quite a bit of maintenance.

Thanks for the feedback so far.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #6052
BrShootr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
What if I follow your advice and decide to buy a bike before figuring out transportation...how am I getting it home?

I found one of those racks on KSL... I think it's someone local that makes them.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...at=236&lpid=16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
Hey wait a minute, aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

You havent' even got a bike yet and now you're shopping transport???

Maybe you should start a "What if" thread.

"What if I had a bike and if said bike needed tires, what tires should I
use?"

"What bag set ups are you guys with bikes using?"

"Synthetic or natural oil?"

"Not to change the subject, what if a girl (snicker) said she
would go out with me? What do I do???"

Well at least the bike thing might happen.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 AM   #6053
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrShootr
What if I follow your advice and decide to buy a bike before figuring out transportation...how am I getting it home?

I found one of those racks on KSL... I think it's someone local that makes them.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...at=236&lpid=16
Hick's trailer in your driveway. Or I will lend you one too.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #6054
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo
My son (6.5 yrs old) has been riding an OSET (www.osetbikes) for a bit now and while it is a great bike for practicing in the back yard (adjustable speed, light, and no noise!) he is super comfortable on it and at some point needs to move to something that can be ridden some distance on the trail (battery only runs for about an hour). I think the 50cc Japan bikes are a bit heavy and likely too small (he's a big kid and growing fast - 4'5" so far). A 65cc shifter might be a bit of a jump for him but I think he'd get it pretty fast. I'd need to buy something used and I'm hoping I could get something to last a few years, but I don't want to get him on something that will scare him too much. He's really comfortable on his OSET and great on bikes too, so he's pretty confident.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should look at next for him? Anyone have any bikes they are interested in selling?

Looking for some wisdom from the Utards...

Thanks.
Let me know if you want to sell the Oset... I am interested!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #6055
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjwhite
Hey guys, I need to buy or have some one make me a collapsible or removable back rest for the passenger for a 1150 GS. Anyone on here that can do that or has one they want to sell or ideas.

Thanks

Ty
Hey, Tyler, does anybody here look familiar?

Family photos -- We're cousins!
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #6056
terracruz
Nor. UT adv rider

Oddometer: 325
nine mile canyon

Has anyone here ever hit nine mile canyon on a bike?

Was it fun on a motorcycle?

Any thoughts on when nine mile canyon will not have snow on it?
(maybe it doesn't now I have now idea how to check)

Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #6057
tylerjwhite
Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister
Hey, Tyler, does anybody here look familiar?

Family photos -- We're cousins!
That is just awesome. You will have to message me. Are you one of Jacks Brothers kids?

Ty

Family Youth Yoga and Future Farmers
tylerjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #6058
tylerjwhite
Wandering Mtn Goat

Oddometer: 875
Hey

I need some more aggressive tires than what I have on my GS. Any suggestions other than the obvious TKC's?

Ty

Family Youth Yoga and Future Farmers
tylerjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #6059
dozer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerjwhite
I need some more aggressive tires than what I have on my GS. Any suggestions other than the obvious TKC's?

Ty
Metzler Karoo (not Karoo T) better in dirt than TKC 80s, but they howl pretty bad.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #6060
Old Jeeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracruz
Has anyone here ever hit nine mile canyon on a bike?

Was it fun on a motorcycle?

Any thoughts on when nine mile canyon will not have snow on it?
(maybe it doesn't now I have now idea how to check)

I've done it a couple of times. I enjoyed it. Lot of petroglyphs to see. Last time i trailered to Wellington, rode to Sunnyside, up some canyon and over the mountain into Cottonwood Canyon. Then into Nine Mile and back to Wellington. 120 mile loop. Next time I'll try and squeeze Argyle Canyon into the loop but I might not have enough gas to make it.

As for snow, I'm guessing the end of March.
Old Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote