ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #841
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,664
S. Dakota

I have this wild hair to head to S Dakota on Sunday for a turn-and-burn visit to Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc.

Kickstand up in Longmont at 5:30a, back home before 10pm. Around 700-800 miles round trip.

Weather looks good, VFR is ready, and all should be good if I can keep average speed in the upper 70s. 5-6hrs out, a couple hours there, and 5-6 hours back. I think it's doable...

Anyhow, that is my hare-brained 'plan', among other options.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #842
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler
I have this wild hair to head to S Dakota on Sunday for a turn-and-burn visit to Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc.

Kickstand up in Longmont at 5:30a, back home before 10pm. Around 700-800 miles round trip.

Weather looks good, VFR is ready, and all should be good if I can keep average speed in the upper 70s. 5-6hrs out, a couple hours there, and 5-6 hours back. I think it's doable...

Anyhow, that is my hare-brained 'plan', among other options.
Umm. are you sure about the mileage?? On my way to NewFoundland
last year I went through Sturgis and Rushmore etc.. This is my GPS for the
day from SLC to Hot Springs. I can't remember my route that well. I tend
to try and stay on secondary roads.

Even Mapquest puts it at over 600 miles one way. Sounds like a two day
ride if your going to see any sights.
Attached Images

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #843
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Shuffler

Opps, my bad. I just noticed where you were starting from.
I thought you were an SLC Utard. Never mind. Have a nice ride.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #844
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
Opps, my bad. I just noticed where you were starting from.
I thought you were an SLC Utard. Never mind. Have a nice ride.
Make nice with the greenies pluric.........

No subcanis, no pluric, no frog............it's the Friday Nunya ride.........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #845
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

So I stopped at Einsteins as promised........the XRR was so pissed at missing all the fun that I figured I'd thump the day.......

So up the BC canyon we went.....

And if I might have a moment of silence....in memorial........

This is the backside of Jupiter Bowl.......where 12 years ago to the day......I buried my 16+ year old dog.........he was my first son.........Otto........and I've missed him.................this is actually the first time I've gone back to his gravesite..........damn dog walked over half the Wind River range with me.....so I put him back at altitude........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #846
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Say....................to the Friday Nunya crowd...........

And off I go........over Guardsman......down through Midway.......did I mention the paraglider.......?

Past Jordanelle.....and took the Francis bypass road up to the Soapstone turnoff....

If any of you FF's go out this weekend, 'member that there's HUNTERS everywhere in the high country......the dirt roads had a bit of traffic.......So over to Kamas and down to Oakley for the famous BLT with avocado.....

BTW........I found that '94 100GS with 23K miles on it........I think it's listed several spots.........but I'm broke after the Great Depression.....unlike pluric and his new Porsche.......

So over to PC for a little mogas.........Still not sure how many miles to trust the XRR for a 4 gallon tank.........scenic view from the station.......

Should I thump through PC to get back over Guardsman.........?..............sure enough, there's no Great Depression at Deer Valley either......they've got more building cranes than downtown NYC.......

Then home again......home again........in time to tell you all to enjoy this weekend......it's beautiful in FlugistanUtah this time of year..........

Family and chores on Saturday.........but I'm up for something on Sunday.......whatchagot?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #847
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oh that looked like such a nice ride. Thanks again for rubbing it in.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #848
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Sorry i missed out but I spent the day at cherry creek with Yogoi. Rode a 70 mile loop that was awsome. I did figure out that I need to ride like mad for the next month.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #849
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,125
Eh?

Went out for an early morning jaunt - Provo Canyon - Strawberry - Tabiona - Woolf Creek - Park City - to home in Draper in time to make it to the U game.

Coming around the east end of Deercreek it was 29F degrees and I watched my mirrors ice over - took maybe 4-6 seconds total. That was a warm spot!

So midway through a 2 semi truck pass just as I was getting to the west side of Strawberry Reservoir I look down at my digital thermometer... 21.6F degrees... rotate the eyeballs up 3 inches and notice 102 mph. So what's the winchill doing at that point?

Hit a little fog on the east side of Soldier Creek... at 80 mph it iced over my face shield.

Stopped in Hanna to grab some breakfast and hide from the cold for a few minutes - it was 10 degrees warmer when we hit the road again at 9:30. Mid 40's heading back up over Wolfcreek. Mid 50's by the time I hit PC.

Nice morning ride... but should have started a couple of hours later!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #850
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
So....I am thinking of doing the classic Ut road manana. This is SLC to Duschene to Helper to Hunington to Schofield to .....SLC.
Should be a No 9 day for such. Anyone interested in coming along? Theis will be pavement since I am on the ST since the demise of the 950A.

Any interest?
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #851
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus
So....I am thinking of doing the classic Ut road manana. This is SLC to Duschene to Helper to Hunington to Schofield to .....SLC.
Should be a No 9 day for such. Anyone interested in coming along? Theis will be pavement since I am on the ST since the demise of the 950A.

Any interest?
Looks like a longer loop than I can bust out for........if you pull that, watch for Hunter traffic.....there were many 4x4 with trailers and campers out on Friday....

I could pull 4 hours or so around 9 am....
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #852
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

You have a point, Infidel. Do you think Wolfcreek will be too busy with the bambi crew? What path won't be?

Yeah, 4 hr is prolly enuf

Anyway, 0900 at Einstiens is good. Who ever shows.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #853
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
You have a point, Infidel. Do you think Wolfcreek will be too busy with the bambi crew? What path won't be?

Yeah, 4 hr is prolly enuf

Anyway, 0900 at Einstiens is good. Who ever shows.

........IN.......
Old 10-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #854
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:

Any interest?
What happened?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #855
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

We went for a ride, The Infidel & I. It was nice. No one to cut us off on an inside corner, etc. Went up Legacy to Ogden canyon, Trappers loop, thru Croyden (Infidel needed culture) to Coalville, part way up Chalk Creek, thru Wanship to Heber. Great lunch, ran out of time, went home. Too busy ridin to take pics...oh well. 200 ish miles

We did wonder about you, Pluric....Sleeping, died, lost, who knows.

As they say, another day, another ride. ...paraphrasing....