ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #10141
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric
You got a VW Bus for a gun??? Sweet!!!

Nice bike too. Should have held out a little longer for a KLR. Just say'n.
It came with orange milk crates, all set up for ADV'ing.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #10142
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Not a lot of time especially for one day, but here are couple recommendations. Each of these would take a couple hours so basically choose one, or add a day (so you would have two days of maxed out seat time)...

1) Up past Flaggstaff, to get to where I think the best/funnest spots in the grand canyon are, it will detour you a couple hours but if you go in via a little town south of Bitter Springs on I-89 (I forget the name of it and can't find it on Google maps right now) you basically head west where the blue and white church sign is. If you find a map it will be there. it is a basically a 1 store Najaho town. And then you sort of just "feel" the road, Navajo style, which means tons and tons of meandering and prominent roads that will seeming disappear. The goal is either Tathathso Point (which is epic), or we camped probably 10 miles north of there in a pretty epic spot (one of thousands) where it is possible a human man not have ever slept before).

The maps and GPS (roads) are wrong but the way point of Tatahahtso is
Longitude: -111.8551643

It would take you about a 1.5 hour detour if you didn't get lost, and is really spectacular.

If you look on Google maps you see the meandering. I call this 'navajo road' http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...FQSZKwIdxDlV-Q

http://arizona.hometownlocator.com/m...so%20point.cfm

Here are photos of just north of there and some from the road out there:

dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #10143
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Second option would be to do the tourist approach for the Grand Canyon (so breeze through quickly on the South Rim).

Then north of Page in Utah hit this road (page 76 of the Benchmark Utah Atlas) and take either the Smokey Mountain Road, or the Croton Road, to the Hole in the Rock Road southeast of Escalante...

Here is a map of it (huge pictures).
http://www.shoumatoff.com/route/Picture%20009.jpg

Another less tame and less time consuming option is also the Cottonwood Road (also just north of Page, on page 75 of the Benchmark atlas) to Kodachrome, then come back either through the highway through Boulder/Escalante to Torrey. Or, take the Burr Trail/Notem Road from Boulder Heading East, to north, through Grand Staircase and Capitol Reef, north to Route 24 that will head East to Hanksville. and then head north the same way if you were coming back from Moab.

Here are some pics of that route. This was pretty epic on the north side of Lake Powell on that trip (epic dust storm).

On the Smokey mountain road there are natural ducts that emit head and smoke that are pretty awesome:

Don't stick your hand in there:

I hope it helps...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #10144
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
Second option would be to do the tourist approach for the Grand Canyon (so breeze through quickly on the South Rim).

Then north of Page in COLORADOhit this road (page 76 of the Benchmark COLORADO Atlas) and take either the Smokey Mountain Road, or the Croton Road, to the Hole in the Rock Road southeast of Escalante...

I hope it helps...
Fixt

Let go for a camping trip in the next few weeks.........everybody I know heads to Colorado for good riding..........

ps................I'm baaaaaack........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 10:52 AM
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #10145
dakardad
Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer: 436
Not so fast

Be careful where you go.

Quote:
Then north of Page in Utah hit this road (page 76 of the Benchmark Utah Atlas) and take either the Smokey Mountain Road, or the Croton Road, to the Hole in the Rock Road southeast of Escalante...I just got back from there. The county and the FEDs have abandoned the Croton Rd. and Left hand of Collett to Hole in the Rock Rd. It is rough. You could big GS it but your likely to bash a cyl or worse. There is plenty of rockfall and no one has been thru to clear it.

Another less tame and less time consuming option is also the Cottonwood Road (also just north of Page, on page 75 of the Benchmark atlas) to Kodachrome, then come back either through the highway through Boulder/Escalante to Torrey. Or, take the Burr Trail/Notem Road from Boulder Heading East, to north, through Grand Staircase and Capitol Reef, north to Route 24 that will head East to Hanksville. and then head north the same way if you were coming back from Moab.
DANGER Will Robinson!!! Flash flood warnings in So. Utah this week. Any and all roads not paved are subject to impassability. Esp the ones mentioned. If your solo, take extra heed. My rule is when solo is dont go where the 4WDs are not going. You'll isolate yourself (long walk out) and its lonely as the big 'season' is over. Not much traffic. There will likely be mud and washed out areas. Be careful.
Otherwise great routes.

dakardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #10146
2wheeladv
Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer: 173
Quote:

Then north of Page in Utah hit this road (page 76 of the Benchmark Utah Atlas) and take either the Smokey Mountain Road, or the Croton Road, to the Hole in the Rock Road southeast of Escalante...

Here is a map of it (huge pictures).
http://www.shoumatoff.com/route/Picture%20009.jpg

Here are some pics of that route. This was pretty epic on the north side of Lake Powell on that trip (epic dust storm).

On the Smokey mountain road there are natural ducts that emit head and smoke that are pretty awesome:

Don't stick your hand in there:

I hope it helps...
GREAT info and outstanding photographs. You're talented with a camera. Thank you.
2006 Big Dog K-9
1969 Triumph 650cc
2wheeladv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #10147
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardad
Be careful where you go.
I suggest for anyone looking for road conditions to double check on ExpeditionUtah.com, or even in here as I'm sure a lot of people know these roads. Notem and Burr are definitely open, I have absolutely no doubt on this. these are major throughfairs and the odds of them ever being closed are slim. Croton, Smokey Mountain, and Left Hand Collet (the hardest part of the whole route) are extremely rural "roads" and correct that a 650 versus a big 1200 would be a better fit, but it will all be doable particularly this time of the year (well past the spring melt off). There was never, ever any federal aspects except for perhaps parts in Grand Staircase and these were still the worst parts of the route. I wouldn't have mentioned it if these weren't doable even in a 1200. I can post pictures of how the roads are, in general, if need be.

thanks,
andre
Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #10148
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladv
GREAT info and outstanding photographs. You're talented with a camera. Thank you.
I'll be sure to mention it to the photographer, it was pretty amazing and we were lucky to have him along... :)
Old 09-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #10149
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 848
I'm riding the 'B' tonight at about 8:30 if any nutters want to come along. I have an HID helmet lamp good for about 3 hours if anyone without a headlight is feeling adventurous. Night trail riding is really a fun experience.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #10150
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo
I'm riding the 'B' tonight at about 8:30 if any nutters want to come along. I have an HID helmet lamp good for about 3 hours if anyone without a headlight is feeling adventurous. Night trail riding is really a fun experience.
I put some Helas and a hand spot on the Rhino. We use it at night.

It is a little spooky when it's pitch black. Kinda fun though.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #10151
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Fixt

Let go for a camping trip in the next few weeks.........everybody I know heads to Colorado for good riding..........

ps................I'm baaaaaack........
So how was the water?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #10152
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
So how was the water?

Missed you too...............you pisser you..............
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #10153
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Missed you too...............you pisser you..............
Aww, that's sweet.

I wish I could remember to to get it out before it all went down my leg.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #10154
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Aww, that's sweet.

I wish I could remember to to get it out before it all went down my leg.
No worries, with your green Bear Lake swim suit, we all understand..........

Can I borrow the Cayman next time?

I promise to fill it before I return it............
Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #10155
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
No worries, with your green Bear Lake swim suit, we all understand..........

Can I borrow the Cayman next time?

I promise to fill it before I return it............
You need an FJR, not a Cayman.