ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #12796
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,925
As usuall some really good points have been brought up. You're right
it's a lot of weight that generally ends up on you. I've just been very
lucky. When my kids were young, 1-4, I would hose clamp a car seat to
the rack of a 3 wheeler and go all over Moab. Wheelies, side wheel turns,
river crossings and never had a problem.

My kids all grew up with bikes and quads. Kid size appropriate for age.
Must have knocked on a lot of wood. My son has street crashed several
times to the point of could have been fatal. How protective can you be
when letting someone grow up? I sold the bullet bike and he still found
anything with wheels can go down hard.

I really try to make sure the trail is appropriate for skill levels, but you
can't control stupid or inexperience or just a fluke rock on a mound.

I broke one leg 1 mile an hour on the Trials bike the other one maybe
4 or 5 miles an hour on the 400. Suddenly that couch doesn't look so bad.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #12797
MSH
The Salt
 
MSH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I broke one leg 1 mile an hour on the Trials bike the other one maybe
4 or 5 miles an hour on the 400. Suddenly that couch doesn't look so bad.
Its also your age.

__________________
~ BMWF800GS ~

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #12798
HickOnACrick
Groovinator
 
HickOnACrick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Utarded in Lubbuttock
Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I really try to make sure the trail is appropriate for skill levels, but you
can't control stupid or inexperience or just a fluke rock on a mound.
What I wish is that Honda still made the Trail 90. If my wife ever expresses a desire to ride her own ride, this is what I will start her with. Either that or a side-by-side with 5-point harness, roll cage, and make sure she is always ATGATT.
__________________
KTM 500 XCW, BMW K1600GTL
950 SER 300 XC
Composites 101
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #12799
trackhead
Utard Wankster
 
trackhead's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Transient
Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
What I wish is that Honda still made the Trail 90. If my wife ever expresses a desire to ride her own ride, this is what I will start her with. Either that or a side-by-side with 5-point harness, roll cage, and make sure she is always ATGATT.
I bought a Trail 90 for my wife, I don't think it's a good starter bike. It's heavy, has shitty suspension, and shitty brakes. If I were to do it again, I'd get her a modern air cooled bike with better suspension and brakes.


__________________
Utah Moto Ride Reports
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #12800
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
What I wish is that Honda still made the Trail 90. If my wife ever expresses a desire to ride her own ride, this is what I will start her with. Either that or a side-by-side with 5-point harness, roll cage, and make sure she is always ATGATT.
Tyler White has his up for twice the going rate. Looks clean.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...3&search=trail 90
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #12801
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!
 
Eurastus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Tyler White has his up for twice the going rate. Looks clean.
I've taken Tyler's Honda for a test ride; it is in very good shape. If you want a Trail 90, this is a good one.
__________________
Hej på dej!!
Blog: Eurastus travels slowly
Eurastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #12802
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Its also your age.
Naww, ya think so?

You guys just wait to see what the future brings. It ain't pretty.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #12803
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,299
Anyone interested in a RZR might be interested in one of these for Sunday drives...

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=26933

__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #12804
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,231
There are some cheap 5 or 4.5 AH batts at NPS right now for like $3. I (over)paid about $30 for the same thing.

http://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/M...87038017_sAeUo
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #12805
GeoMoto
FMAR Chump!
 
GeoMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: St. George, UT & Temecula, CA
Oddometer: 743
Thumb Southern Utah Ride tomorrow

Forecasts are calling for Thunder Storms and 30% chance of rain!
Most of the dirt roads that we will be riding will turn into Crisco when wet and will be very difficult. I am planning on meeting at MotoZoo at 9:00 and we can decide on the route when we all get there.

Please PM me if you are planning on riding!!

Thanks
GeoMoto
435-705-0439




FMAR Club Ride April 8th, 2011


FMAR will be riding Friday April 8th (Yes on Friday)

Place: MotoZoo Hurricane, Utah

Time: 9:00 at MotoZoo in Hurricane Utah

Where: Hurricane Cliffs, possibly Toroweap

We will be continuing our route scouting for the Flying Monkey Adventure Rally in June.

PM GeoMoto if you are coming in from out of town and need a place to stay.
__________________
"GEOMOTO"
"Flying Monkey Adventure Rally" June 19-22, 2014
Zion Ponderosa Southern Utah




GeoMoto screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 10:10 AM
GeoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #12806
harcus
Beastly Adventurer
 
harcus's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Edge of the Wasatch
Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
There are some cheap 5 or 4.5 AH batts at NPS right now for like $3. I (over)paid about $30 for the same thing.

http://andreshoumatoff.smugmug.com/M...87038017_sAeUo

A

I notice that you have a box fan to install on the pig. Did it happen? I have a near identical item on mine. Mounted on a shroud to pull the air off the RH side. Works well. Run with a toggle switch. Definitely useful in traffic, slow areas.

__________________
Want Creative Adventure Products? - See Globetrottin.com

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #12807
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Park City, Utah
Oddometer: 1,231
Yup, 100% correct.. Again imitating my XR650R fabrication hero Harcus! Also from that place you recommended... thanks Jim!
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #12808
GeoMoto
FMAR Chump!
 
GeoMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: St. George, UT & Temecula, CA
Oddometer: 743
Pissed

It's Snowing in Hurricane! You gotta be kidding me! It was in the 80's last weekend! Ride canceled for today!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMoto View Post
Forecasts are calling for Thunder Storms and 30% chance of rain!
Most of the dirt roads that we will be riding will turn into Crisco when wet and will be very difficult. I am planning on meeting at MotoZoo at 9:00 and we can decide on the route when we all get there.

Please PM me if you are planning on riding!!

Thanks
GeoMoto
435-705-0439




FMAR Club Ride April 8th, 2011


FMAR will be riding Friday April 8th (Yes on Friday)

Place: MotoZoo Hurricane, Utah

Time: 9:00 at MotoZoo in Hurricane Utah

Where: Hurricane Cliffs, possibly Toroweap

We will be continuing our route scouting for the Flying Monkey Adventure Rally in June.

PM GeoMoto if you are coming in from out of town and need a place to stay.
__________________
"GEOMOTO"
"Flying Monkey Adventure Rally" June 19-22, 2014
Zion Ponderosa Southern Utah



GeoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #12809
MSH
The Salt
 
MSH's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMoto View Post
It's Snowing in Hurricane! You gotta be kidding me! It was in the 80's last weekend! Ride canceled for today!!
Words of truth, whoever said it... Utah doesnt have winter,spring,summer.. we have winter "sprinter" and summer.
__________________
~ BMWF800GS ~

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #12810
a1one
a1one-numero uno-saucy
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Bike de Barrio
Oddometer: 300
Eh? Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Words of truth, whoever said it... Utah doesnt have winter,spring,summer.. we have winter "sprinter" and summer.
The 'Sprinter' tripped!
__________________

a1one - 1 definition - numero uno. ... A1 Grand Prix · A1 Sauce · A1 Thick-N-Hearty NATIONWIDE·
a1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014