ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #13546
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Yes they walk amongst us. Ryan, don't be so modest.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693715
You heard about the new laws in Vernal..........didn't you?

It's now so boring, he's trolling for F800's...............
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #13547
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Cause they are easier to catch than sheep.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #13548
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
You can get more then one thing in KTM orange. . Well close enough.

frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #13549
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post

That fiberglass is wonderful stuff! I was planning to use it else where but whatever rings your chimes! Martha Stewart would be proud of your color coordination.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #13550
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Hey Scott

I am intrigued by this trip, but I'm not real excited about the northern part on the slab on the mighty 250. And I kinda have a full plate this month already. Let me think on it. I want to do a similar trip, only all dirt. Starting near heber, up lake creek, down to strawberry, down to soldier summit, then skyline drive all the way down to fishlake, death hollow to escalante, smoky mtn road to page arizona. Then back up on burr trail and notum road, thru capitol reef and the west part of the swell. Or maybe slab it around powell and come back up on the east side of the lake, I don't know. Of course it will be a while before a lot of that is open.

I would think the route you described would be do-able in a day since there isn't much dirt, and it's fast dirt. From Heber to Escalante via hwy 10 and 72 is an easy day I know. It depends on how you ride and how much you stop, I guess. If you want to slow it down a little, here are some suggestions...

Instead of I-15 and hwy 6 to price, go to duchesne and south on 191 thru indian canyon. You could make it even better by staying off 40 and instead take 35 thru francis and hannah then down to duchesne. I don't know for sure if 35 is open yet over wolf creek pass, maybe I need to go see this weekend, but if not I would think it will be very soon. It would take an extra hour maybe.

Once you're on hwy 10, you can get off at huntington and take the lawrence-to-tan-seeps road all the way, down thru buckhorn draw. Or get off at castle dale and cut east to buckhorn draw. Good roads thru there.

When you're in the swell south of I-70 you'll miss a lot of the purdy stuff if you go straight to temple mtn. Instead, hang to the west on reds canyon road towards tomsich butte. If you don't mind some gravelly washes, nothing real bad, but I don't know what you're comfy with on the 800. Whether you go all the way down reds canyon or not, about two miles west of the reds canyon/mckay flat intersection is a totally awesome campsite on the south side of the road, up on the ridge, with amazing views of the cliffs and clear out to fishlake and boulder mtn and probably the henrys too. If you go that way you'll know it when you see it, it's breathtaking. Worth a little side trip even if you plan on taking the main road straight to temple mtn.

Coming back home you could go straight north out of escalante toward loa then catch hwy 72 back up to 10. I'm guessing the fishlake area will still be snowed in.

-al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #13551
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:

...and I was just gonna see if you wanted to hit cherry creek

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #13552
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
...and I was just gonna see if you wanted to hit cherry creek
I'm in Logan tomorrow night for my wife to ride Little Red Riding Hood....I'll be on the sumo.....whatcha got going.........Got any photos of SA.......we're heading to Peru in July.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #13553
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,945
Quote:

I thought you could only go blind from doing that. Bummer.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #13554
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Hey Scott

I am intrigued by this trip, but I'm not real excited about the northern part on the slab on the mighty 250. And I kinda have a full plate this month already. Let me think on it. I want to do a similar trip, only all dirt. Starting near heber, up lake creek, down to strawberry, down to soldier summit, then skyline drive all the way down to fishlake, death hollow to escalante, smoky mtn road to page arizona. Then back up on burr trail and notum road, thru capitol reef and the west part of the swell. Or maybe slab it around powell and come back up on the east side of the lake, I don't know. Of course it will be a while before a lot of that is open.

I would think the route you described would be do-able in a day since there isn't much dirt, and it's fast dirt. From Heber to Escalante via hwy 10 and 72 is an easy day I know. It depends on how you ride and how much you stop, I guess. If you want to slow it down a little, here are some suggestions...

Instead of I-15 and hwy 6 to price, go to duchesne and south on 191 thru indian canyon. You could make it even better by staying off 40 and instead take 35 thru francis and hannah then down to duchesne. I don't know for sure if 35 is open yet over wolf creek pass, maybe I need to go see this weekend, but if not I would think it will be very soon. It would take an extra hour maybe.

Once you're on hwy 10, you can get off at huntington and take the lawrence-to-tan-seeps road all the way, down thru buckhorn draw. Or get off at castle dale and cut east to buckhorn draw. Good roads thru there.

When you're in the swell south of I-70 you'll miss a lot of the purdy stuff if you go straight to temple mtn. Instead, hang to the west on reds canyon road towards tomsich butte. If you don't mind some gravelly washes, nothing real bad, but I don't know what you're comfy with on the 800. Whether you go all the way down reds canyon or not, about two miles west of the reds canyon/mckay flat intersection is a totally awesome campsite on the south side of the road, up on the ridge, with amazing views of the cliffs and clear out to fishlake and boulder mtn and probably the henrys too. If you go that way you'll know it when you see it, it's breathtaking. Worth a little side trip even if you plan on taking the main road straight to temple mtn.

Coming back home you could go straight north out of escalante toward loa then catch hwy 72 back up to 10. I'm guessing the fishlake area will still be snowed in.

-al
Al, I would like to do the route you descibed but I'm sure Skyline is still snowed in. I did a similiar route last Sept Labor Day weekend. It was a great ride. The reason I have so much slab until I-70 is I want to have plenty of time south of 70 to check things out. Reds Canyon loop looks good I may included that as I continue South. I don't plan to hit Temple Mtn. unless it's on the way home.

You could totally do the slab portion on the "mighty 250". Pack up your gear!

I will look at doing this route with more dirt on the northern section in the fall. This may be my last multi-day ride until then. I'm building a new home in Draper and will start it in a couple of weeks. My weekends and every week night will be spent working on it until end of Sept to early October.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #13555
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Al, I would like to do the route you descibed but I'm sure Skyline is still snowed in.
With almost 800" at Alta this year, I'm sure the Skyline will be snowed in until July.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #13556
cruiseroutfit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
With almost 800" at Alta this year, I'm sure the Skyline will be snowed in until July.
On a good year some of the drifts can cover a few spots of the route until late June generally always passable by early July. This year? Hard to say, it could be mid July snow bank busting. We have a 4x4 event (RelicRun.com) up on Skyline in early July and we are starting to get worried about our routing and working on alternatives.

PS, hope you don't mind I shared your moto rides with the ExpeditionUtah forum, we have quite a few moto riders and you've done a stellar job with the routes.
ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com
cruiseroutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #13557
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:

Is there a story to tell here?
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #13558
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
I'm in Logan tomorrow night for my wife to ride Little Red Riding Hood....I'll be on the sumo.....whatcha got going.........Got any photos of SA.......we're heading to Peru in July.....
Whats up. It's a real bummer... I'm work'n at the station all weekend.
Your welcome to come by.
Peru is sweet, You should fly into Colombia and pick up my V-strom, and ride to Peru.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #13559
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
You heard about the new laws in Vernal..........didn't you?

Have you looked at the woman there? Cant blame them.....Lol!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #13560
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Hey scott, you can count me in.

BTW, temple mtn is the only way out of the swell that I know of. 1012 is a dead end at hidden splendor, isn't it?

-al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote