Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #1501
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Far and few between

were the short transit sections.

Then it was right back on the special

I believe this is Gridley Lake, with the next range now within our sights.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #1502
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
That's a tough looking motorcycle chick.
I can see the thoughts working though her head.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #1503
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not quite video,

but close:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #1504
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The trail passed

these weird-looking "beehive" rock formations

a better view of the visor muck

The riding difficulty rating here was 6/10 to 8/10...

what we needed, though, was a nice long stretch of 2/10. Not this...

Down:

Up:

Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #1505
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We reached this steep,

long, hill climb skirting around McGhee Mountain, and I met minimal resistance when I offered to leap-frog our bikes up the steepest, loosest, most rutted stretch.

Her hip was hurting, morale was flagging... even though the views were still great,

they were getting monotonous... it was clear we were becoming fatigued.

I walk down the hill, she walks up. As we approach each other, it's hard to read emotions through the goggles and the helmets. Heavy boots trudging, no words spoken, but each puts a hand up, and we silently give each other a high-five as we pass.

We each get on our respective bikes, and I hear her engine fire up. Over the Scala, I hear "You with me?" I answer, "Right behind you"

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #1506
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the top

we seem to be on a plateau,

it's been a long climb

But the trail seems to have leveled out, at least for awhile.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #1507
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The shadows are

getting longer, and we're starting to think about where to stop for the day.

There's a campground in the next valley... "Virgin Valley"

This is opal mining country, and the Royal Peacock mine and others are still open for people to pay a fee and spend a day digging.

We start down.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #1508
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
This whole ride report should replace the dictionary definition of companionship.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #1509
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
Lemme guess...based on the photo of the left-turning track out of the water, she did the "rev and release" clutch thing and finally learned the hard way what you'd been telling her that she had to quit doing that?
You have that right. All I remember thinking was that I was going to be propelled over or into that barbwire fence. I can't remember much more detail than that.

Either way, it was negative reinforcement for holding in that "damn" clutch for the rest of the trip. That and David's heart to heart.

After that head plant biff, I can't speak highly enough about the Leatt's brace. It has saved my ass more than once on this trip.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #1510
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It always seems

that the nice, gentle track you see floating off into the distance, is always steeper and further than it appears once you actually get to it.

We hadn't made great mileage today, not that it really mattered, but we still had in our head that we were pushing for 160 miles / day.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 12:18 PM
Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #1511
djbronco
Love the curves

Oddometer: 33
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
You have that right. All I remember thinking was that I was going to be propelled over or into that barbwire fence. I can't remember much more detail than that.

Either way, it was negative reinforcement for holding in that "damn" clutch for the rest of the trip. That and David's heart to heart.

After that head plant biff, I can't speak highly enough about the Leatt's brace. It has saved my ass more than once on this trip.

You can ride with me any day! You are helping me regain faith in the female race for sure. Maybe there is hope!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #1512
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata

It seems like the braces make a lot of sense, but it helps to be one tough cookie! Way to go.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #1513
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,804
So glad you weren't hurt.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #1514
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Virgin Valley

Campground was kind of strange. It seemed geared for RV's. Like a big gravel parking lot, several actually. We found a water spigot and filled up:

We discussed whether to stay there, or not. We later learned there are hot springs you can soak in, but compared to cowboy camping off by ourselves, this:

just didn't seem particularly appealing.

It was 4:30, and so we decided to continue riding. It looked to be a fairly easy, largish road for at least a while, and then we'd stop at the first place that looked good. We'd seen signs for RV camping at the Royal Peacock mines, which didn't much appeal to me either, but at least it would be an option.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #1515
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On our way out

I stopped to photo this sign, in case we needed to refer back to it for directions / info, and we were approached by a couple of guys who were waiting for a tow truck to come for their broken down vehicle. They ask that if we saw the tow truck up the road, to send it their way.

They offered to take our picture, and I remember saying "yeah, we don't have too many photos of the two of us together" and reaching over to hold LDF's hand.