User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #1516
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We had guessed right

this was a fast, graded transit section.

it felt good. Some antelope, and then these burros crossed our path:

We didn't see a tow truck. And when we got to the turn-off for the Opal mine RV camp, I sort of made an executive decision not to drive out to it to check it out. Partly 'cause I didn't think it would be any better than the N.F. campground, and partly 'cause I was doing the math in my head... and I didn't want to spend the gas finding out.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #1517
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

My executive (ie. unilateral)

decision to not check out the Opal mine campground agitated LDF, 'cause within two minutes of turning off this road onto the next special section that climbed into the next range, she said, "OK, I've had enough, let's stop. I don't want to ride any more technical sections today, I'm done. I can't crash again today [my thought: today(!)] so let's find a place to camp."

So I say, "OK, but not right here, let's find a place off this road, up ahead, we should climb up a little, and we'll have a nice view of the valley."

And I ride ahead. (sorry, no photos, but yes, it was a somewhat technical climb.)

and I hear "This is EXACTLY what I DON'T want to be DOING right NOW"

So I say, "you can't just say that and expect to find a good place to stop in the next 20 ft... we're going to have to either ride ahead a bit, or go back to the campgrounds" (I didn't say anything about our fuel reserves... I figured I could play that card only if I had to, 'cause it would spark worrying on her part for the whole next day 'till we got to Cedarville.

Fortunately, not far ahead, we scout out this spot:

and we reckon it'll do. We set up camp, and start to enjoy the views.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #1518
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Firewood collected

firepit built. We held off setting up the tent on account of the wind.

It felt good to get out of the boots, and just sit and chill with, yes, a nice mug o' bourbon

Nothing on the radio... not AM, not FM, and not a single one of the seven NOAA stations.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #1519
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The day's stats

Not particularly impressive mileage, but still, a 9+ hour-day.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #1520
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sit back

and enjoy the views,

the quiet,

the solitude,

the beauty,

and the company.

we really don't need much to be happy, do we.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #1521
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Donna Fugata
You have that right. All I remember thinking was that I was going to be propelled over or into that barbwire fence. I can't remember much more detail than that.

Either way, it was negative reinforcement for holding in that "damn" clutch for the rest of the trip. That and David's heart to heart.

After that head plant biff, I can't speak highly enough about the Leatt's brace. It has saved my ass more than once on this trip.
Glad you didn't get hurt badly! To be honest, I can't see how you can ride all this that you clearly do well on without knowing how to feather the clutch. That's not a slam, quite the opposite!! Dr's gonna have a helluva time keeping up with you once you master the clutch!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #1522
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Sweetest picture ever!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #1523
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The wind

started to settle down, and we set up the tent, and cooked dinner

Some cheese,

soup,

yummy & warm... it's already getting chilly in the wind.

delicious, steamed Denio Jct. tamales:

and red wine

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #1524
djbronco
Love the curves

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
firepit built. We held off setting up the tent on account of the wind.

It felt good to get out of the boots, and just sit and chill with, yes, a nice mug o' bourbon

Nothing on the radio... not AM, not FM, and not a single one of the seven NOAA stations.

There is a lot of music on XM out there!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #1525
lousot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
doc your so lucky i cant even get my wife to put a leg over a bike
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #1526
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW
Glad you didn't get hurt badly! To be honest, I can't see how you can ride all this that you clearly do well on without knowing how to feather the clutch. That's not a slam, quite the opposite!! Dr's gonna have a helluva time keeping up with you once you master the clutch!
It's not that she doesn't know how to feather the clutch... it's more like a bad case of Clutch-Tourette's .

BTW, because I can hear her rev's through the intercom, I know she worked on it the whole rest of the trip, and I think she's got it licked for good... at least I hope so.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #1527
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It's amazing

how beautiful and intense everything gets as the sun goes down...

7:23pm

7:53pm

Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #1528
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our evening's entertainment:

a light show, just for us...

Old 06-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #1529
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We slept like logs

I love this shot:

Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #1530
djbronco
Love the curves

Oddometer: 33
Love it

Quote:
I love this shot:

I can smell the sage brush burning now! Wait, maybe there is a brush fire outside some where.