Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #1531
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
...I think she's got it licked for good... at least I hope so.
Why not break down and buy her an auto-clutch?

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #1532
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
Why not break down and buy her an auto-clutch?
SSSHHHHHHhhhhhhhh! Up 'till now, she didn't know such a thing existed... thanks alot!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #1533
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 9: Tuesday May 19, 2009

Where we finish up NV , and the Mobius 3 TAT sections, and then head south through the Sierra Nevadas towards Reno, finishing the day with an excruciating case of route constipation and obstruction, eventually relieved by miles and miles of back-tracking...

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #1534
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I think that part of my

response to stress, is to awaken at the crack of dawn. My mind needs to get a jump on the obstacles, hazards and hardships that the day's route might be throwing at us, even if it is at my body's expense.

LDF, however, well... we're different that way. She just likes to sleep in a little more than that. Say, an hour more, 'till 6:30. Nothing dramatic, but it would generate a little conflict each morning where I'd feel like I had to push her to get out of bed and get moving every morning.

We usually passed out at 9-10pm, so we're getting a good 8 hours of sleep. More than I get at home, that's for sure. And it's REALLY good sleep. Like babies. Exhausted, drunk babies.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #1535
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
response to stress, is to awaken at the crack of dawn. My mind needs to get a jump on the obstacles, hazards and hardships that the day's route might be throwing at us, even if it is at my body's expense.

LDF, however, well... we're different that way. She just likes to sleep in a little more than that. Say, an hour more, 'till 6:30. Nothing dramatic, but it would generate a little conflict each morning where I'd feel like I had to push her to get out of bed and get moving every morning.
Like yourself I have learned the importance of this lesson of which you speak.
Let sleeping riders sleep... Don't push.

The smell of fresh brewed coffee works well too.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #1536
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This morning,

we had wheels rolling at 8am,

looking back over our campsite,

I still had a mindset to keep pushing to meet our daily mileage goal, but a little voice from deep in my subconscious was starting sprout towards the surface.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #1537
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The morning chill

was gone by the time we were packed up.

These guys had a VERY fresh youngster with them, still wobbly on it's legs. What's cool, though, is how they'd circle around so you couldn't even see there's a baby there in the middle. I waited 'till I could get a clear shot of the colt.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #1538
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

the other signs said

"Speed limits enforced by Radar" and "No Overnight Parking M,W,F for Street Cleaning"

I mean, if you've already driven here, you've kind of figured this out by now that the roads aren't maintained.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #1539
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Killer Beavers

up ahead!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #1540
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More horses

38 visible here:

only three here:

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #1541
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stopping to smell the flowers

or photograph them, anyway...

this was easy riding, especially at a relaxed pace.

The dust wasn't bad, the hills were more rolling and less steep... it always seems that the terrain at the beginning of each day is much more agreeable than at the end. Or maybe it's just us.

We caught a view of some high-elevation mountains, totally crusted with snow... I was pretty sure we weren't headed that way.

Not on Mobius 3, anyway.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 04:04 PM
Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #1542
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More Beaver

or Bears. I don't have my reading glasses on.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #1543
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Is it a mirage?

have we been in the desert that long? Are we seeing things?

GPS says "Catnip Reservoir"... what dya know? Must be getting close to the other side of this Great Basin thing, if we're starting to see water, eh?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #1544
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This is officially

a liason! Wide, graded gravel,

and we notice a subtle difference in the landscape... dark black cliffs, almost volcanic. Hmmmm.

We've been in the Sheldon Antelope Refuge for awhile, but now the place is crawling with them like vermin.

As we pass Swan Lake Reservoir (dry), a big herd picks up and starts running... it was all I could do to keep up and try to get a good shot...

(I didn't), and when they cut up in front or us.... I still didn't!

Oh well... it was fun trying.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #1545
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was

breaktime, but we weren't seeing much in the way of shade, or shelter from the wind. We came up on this stone memorial, and parked.