User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #1606
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I was just looking

at this photo. And wondering why the heck I snapped it. It's just an ordinary parking lot outside a mall. Could be anywhere.

Exactly. You know when the above scene strikes you as foreign, you've been livin' right.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #1607
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our haul

from the grocery store. (appetizers and cocktails)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #1608
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Implimented

I found a map of the area and worked on resurrecting the shambles of my hours of routing into something coherent...

Before I got too lit, this is what I came up with,

Didn't make much sense to me either.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #1609
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As tempted as we were

to roll a few,

we got cleaned up, hailed a cab,

and when that didn't work so well, we walked to dinner.

It wasn't bad,

If I recall, correctly...

which is pretty much a toss-up, since I don't even remember what we ordered.

but it looks good in the photos...

Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #1610
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I unapologetically

present; our stats for the day:

Old 06-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #1611
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,446
I guess the right comparison is whether controlled burns avoid real forest fires. Then you compare the emissions of controlled burns to that of real forest fires (this analysis has to include the probabilities of forest fire with controlled burns and without). If this balance is negative towards controlled fires, then you can move to make the other comparisons you are talking about. Of course, you need to include that forests consume CO2 in this process as well, which complicates the analysis.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I understand the legit (yet somewhat controversial) use of controlled burns (my bro does research on forest fires -- not that that makes me an expert, or anything), but that's not what I'm questioning. I'm curious how the amount of carbon released in controlled burns stacks up against the amount of carbon NOT released by virtue of California's stricter emissions regulations. Which is more? how much more? And does it make practical sense to make the extra effort on vehicles if, say 10000X that amount is released in controlled burns. It's just a question. The best info I've found is here. And some other info here. Still not completely clear to me. Just food for thought.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #1612
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:

I don't know why, but I find this photo a little sexy...

I think we stopped for her to defleece... maybe it's the mud caked on the visor... or else the fingernail polish?

Well, maybe.... in a Darth Vader-I'm-gonna-kick-your-butt sort of way.

Is LDF's side stand bent to accomodate the lowering links or is it just the angle of how she parked? What kind of gloves is she wearing and did you guys carry two pairs, one for cold/wet and one for hot/dry?

I love reading this. Every night I sign on to see the rest of the story. BTW, if M-4 takes you through SE OR, you'll see more of those strange clouds. The terrain is almost exactly what you faced in NV. As you go through the Cascade Range, it gets more damp and gets wetter the further west you go.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride

taco250 screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 10:16 PM
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #1613
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,032
Doc - great story - keeps getting better and better.

Sweet water crossing shot there too.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #1614
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,842

Awesome picture.

Quote:
as we got closer, we saw a "Jesus-cow" walking on the water...

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 AM   #1615
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,206
[quote=DR. Rock]Campground was kind of strange. It seemed geared for RV's. Like a big gravel parking lot, several actually. We found a water spigot and filled up:

just didn't seem particularly appealing.

Hi Doc!

If that is where I think it is, there is a pool just behind the shower house that stays a constant 80 something degrees. The shower house has two shower heads that continuously spray water of the same temp. I have camped there twice, the last time with my wife. There is also a lot of wild donkeys in the area that frequent the campground at night. BTW, it is a free campground.

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #1616
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:

I don't know why, but I find this photo a little sexy...

If I may be so bold (and please take this as it's intended, not in the "oh, geeze, there's some dude on the 'net cyber-stalking LDF!" way), I thought you were a pretty lucky guy a couple pages back with the photos of the campsite and LDF. I thought "Wow...a nice-lookin' dame that rides a dirtbike, rides it well, all day long, and yet is still enough of a girly-girl to wear earrings around the campfire! Now THAT'S a great woman! "

ADW screwed with this post 06-12-2009 at 07:58 AM
ADW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #1617
Revelstoker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
DR. Rock & LDF; thanks for a great ride report! It has been fun to check in a few times a day for the latest pictures and update. I'll be down that direction later this Summer and will keep my eyes open for a Mobius decal or two. Also, thanks for the report on the Leatt/Blais Jacket - ended up making the plunge on both after reading your comments elsewhere on ADV Rider.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #1618
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Kickstand & gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
...Is LDF's side stand bent to accomodate the lowering links or is it just the angle of how she parked? What kind of gloves is she wearing and did you guys carry two pairs, one for cold/wet and one for hot/dry?
I 99% sure her side stand is shortened, but I'm don't know if it was a custom mod, or if it's an OEM- or aftermarket-available part. The bike was already lowered when she got it. I do know that she has the longest Kouba links (#3?) that shorten the height the most.

We both are wearing Fox Bomber riding gloves ($40/pr),

Which are decent protection, and not too hot. I wear through the tip of the left index finger in about 2 weeks, which is fine, since that makes manipulating the camera that much easier. We also each carry a pair of regular leather work gloves (<$10/pr),

which we use for camp chores -- collecting firewood, etc, and use when riding in colder weather, and as a back-up for the Bombers. We both have heated grips, so that's usually plenty warm. We debated taking insulated gloves on this trip, and I'm glad we didn't. We'll rethink that come Sept. since we'll be at elevation and heading north. We also each have a pair of Fieldsheer waterproof overgloves, ($12/pr)

which coupled with a pair of gloves, would probably be good into the 30's. The only downside of the overgloves, is that it makes it impossible to raise a proper ADV salute.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #1619
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 11: Thursday May 21, 2009

Where we made our way down the Sierras towards Graegle, where we hoped to stay at the Plumas-Eureka state park campground. We'd be taking pavement for about 40miles to get us back onto the higher elevation route, with the expectation that we'd run into snow at some point, and have to reroute. If we had continued on the lower elevation route, we'd be in Reno by lunchtime, so we figured... what have we got to lose?

It ended up being a long day with a lot of ups and downs, but still fantastic to be up in the mountains with trees, instead of out in the desert.

It's interesting... I can look at the elevation profile above, and tell which were the paved sections, and which were dirt based on how jagged the line is.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #1620
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Despite our

drinking and carousing the night before... we still managed to have the wheels rolling at 8am.

We would cut though Lassen N.F. on pavement 'till we got past Lake Almanor.