Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #1621
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Hitting the dirt, (and snow?)

once we were into Plumas,

we saw the light:

and we got on our knees and prayed.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #1622
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Seneca road

has a fairly high scenery : difficulty ratio. Definitely GS-able, though it has some pretty steep drops off the side

LDF was wicking it up... happy, I think to be on easy dirt for a change.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #1623
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sierra spring

easy riding,

The devil box was doing a fine job of keeping us on track.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #1624
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little confusion

where there were two roads, one a hundred feet or so higher than the other, running more or less parallel. There was a one-way sign on this one, but the GPS was trying to get us to take the other one in it's "shortest distance" algorithm. Turns out, the other was one way the other direction... it's too steep a hill to build a 2-lane road into the side.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #1625
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hydroelectric

eventually, we started to make sense of what was going on with all the roads and power lines.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #1626
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was hard

to get a nice shot without PG&E getting in on the show.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #1627
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Now if there was a sign out there for Butt Lake and Hwy 69 I'd start walking from NYC tonight just to get a pic of it!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #1628
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey

that looks familiar:

(from our roof in NYC) :

Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #1629
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
that looks familiar:

(from our roof in NYC) :

I remember seeing a show on Discovery Channel (wait, yep, it was "Dirty Jobs") where they were tearing down and rebuilding a water tower like that in NYC and being amazed that wooden water towers were still the hot setup in 2009!

I s'pose it makes sense that you need to have something on the roof to hold water to allow it to flow down to the building's residents as opposed to having to pump it to everyone, but I guess I thought it'd be something more high-tech than a "Petticoat Junction" - lookin' wooden contraption! ' Guess it's just a good example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Now whenever I see an NYC skyline shot that's reasonably close-up I find myself looking for the water towers. They're everywhere!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #1630
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

NYC wooden water towers

They're definitely iconic. We had one of ours replaced last year. They have an interesting history. Here are a few links; this one with photos text & video, and this one from NPR, and a feature in the New York Times from '07.

City pressure gets water up to 6 floors, above that you have to pump it up to fill you tank, and then the building is gravity-fed. I love the fact that despite all the possible modern high-tech solutions (stainless, fiberglass, etc) that medieval barrel-stave technology still rules the day. The boards are solid cedar, tongue & groove, and the hoops are steel. There is no liner, and no fasteners. Materials are brought up the elevator or fire escape, no helicopters, cranes or street blockades necessary. They leak for a week or so after they're constructed, and then the wood swells and they seal up nicely. They need to be replaced every 25-30 years, cleaned annually, and a new one costs ~$18K installed.

BTW, I wouldn't consider cleaning or replacing the tanks to be a "dirty" job... scary dangerous, yes, but dirty... I hope not, we drink that water.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-12-2009 at 11:58 AM
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #1631
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,043
Quote:

LDF noticed something new to worry about besides bears, mountain lions, scorpions, rattle snakes, tornadoes, flash floods, forest fires, killer beaver, wolves, and coyotes: "widow makers"

We also call pine cones the size of bowling balls 'widow makers'. You'll know them when you see them.

Best to sleep with your helmet on.

Great Report

What kind of foamy grips are on the yellow bike?
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #1632
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop
...What kind of foamy grips are on the yellow bike?
Grip Puppies. I use them to cover the heating elements which I place on top of the stock grip, and to make the grip thicker, which I like.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #1633
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We got a closer look as we passed by

Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #1634
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Continuing down

we followed the north fork of the feather river,

Until we got to Highway 70.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #1635
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We only took Rt. 70

for 6 or 7 miles, before we jumped back onto the dirt to take a "short" cut to Quincy up and over instead of around the mountains.

Rt. 70 follows the railroad and the East Branch of the North Fork of the Feather River (at what point do you just give the damn creek it's own name? )

It was quite pretty, except for all the traffic.