User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #1636
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
A certain

melancholy sets in the first time you see a road sign declaring the precise distance to your eventual destination:

Nooo.... We still have a day and a half or riding!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #1637
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Enough pavement

that's more like it. Morning break-time... punch out - punch in.

The sun was bad, but the flies were out in force in the shade.

C'mon... smile!

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #1638
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This may have been

our best section of the day,

what made it so good,

mainly,

is that it actually went through.

We got pretty high up,

but we weren't turned around by snow.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #1639
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Later in the day,

we weren't so lucky. But once we made it over the hump,

it was a nice downhill run, past all kinds of wildflowers,

through the valley,

to Quincy.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #1640
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We gassed up

and saw a couple of Ducati's parked across from a Subway restauant, and their owners eating in the park across the street. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife:

They parked in the shade, we in the sun...

They ate in the shade... we in the sun. I was sure we were going to have to rumble... steely-eyed glances exchanged across the park. In the end, I think they were just too delicate to risk any sun exposure by getting up and walking over to fight us. They could tell we were pretty tough.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #1641
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rolling again

Out of Quincy,

The "Plumas Club" looks like my kind of place, for the record.

The next section would be climbing even higher, and I had a strong suspicion we'd be doing some re-routing.

UP, up,...

and away!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #1642
Lost Soul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Solar/Battery powered electric fence

Maybe LDF would feel a little more secure cowboy camping with one of these http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/e...larpowered.htm

Just string it up around your campsite.

Guaranteed to let you know if any Mountain lions, bears, varmits 4 or 2 legged come around.
Just don't pee on it in the dark.
Honda Recon 250
Lost Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #1643
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Soul
Maybe LDF would feel a little more secure cowboy camping with one of these http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/e...larpowered.htm

Just string it up around your campsite.

Guaranteed to let you know if any Mountain lions, bears, varmits 4 or 2 legged come around.
Just don't pee on it in the dark.
turn a curious bear into an angry bear.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #1644
flingshot
PM me for some Co. Dualie

Oddometer: 246
Acerbis gas tank on an S model.......

Hey Doc,

First of all, thanks for the excellent ride report!
I have a DRZ and that is the tank I wanted but I was told that they won't fit on the S model. Did you have to modify the fan shroud or did it just go on.
Thanks,
Flingshot

2009 Pass ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post10219563
flingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #1645
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Can't wait for the rest, always a good read here. Great pictures also.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #1646
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Great write up!

Doc, thanks for all the time spent writing up your adventure. It is the most complete coverage (especially of the Nevada section) that I've read. It really help give, those of us who are planning this trip, an idea of what we will be facing.

LDF, your a real trooper and one tough cookie! I just hope I can survive the rigors of the ride as well as you have. DR is lucky to have you. My wife is contemplating joining me as a novice rider but I'm not sure she's ready for such abuse, maybe just the eastern section.

BTW, which bag do you like better the Andy Strapz or Dirt Bagz?

You guys rock!

P.S. Great packing list. Thanks!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #1647
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
and saw a couple of Ducati's parked across from a Subway restauant, and their owners eating in the park across the street. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife:

They parked in the shade, we in the sun...

They ate in the shade... we in the sun. I was sure we were going to have to rumble... steely-eyed glances exchanged across the park. In the end, I think they were just too delicate to risk any sun exposure by getting up and walking over to fight us. They could tell we were pretty tough.
Thats really funny.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #1648
Lost Soul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I hope If I get the chance to ride the TAT, That I have 1/2 the determination of LDF. I'm Very impressed with the both of you.

Thanks for the detailed reports and great pics.
Honda Recon 250
Lost Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #1649
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by flingshot
Hey Doc,...I have a DRZ and that is the tank I wanted but I was told that they won't fit on the S model. Did you have to modify the fan shroud or did it just go on.
Thanks,
Flingshot
I bought the bike from BobbyC with the Acerbis tank on already. He had removed the fan completely... and consequently, it will overheat on occasion. Once the fan is gone, the tank pretty much drops on, no problem. Check out ThumperTalk for more details... I seem to recall a couple of threads regarding the details of fitting the Acerbis E-tank onto the s-model DRZ.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #1650
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
BTW, which bag do you like better the Andy Strapz or Dirt Bagz?
Um... The Dirt Bagz are great. Well-made and capable. But after almost 7000 miles of dirt, seeing them both perform side by side, LDF has had all the zipperless roll-top variable-capacity Andy Strapz-envy she could take. I broke down and yesterday ordered a pair for Blueberry. I just got an email from him, and Andy will be shipping a set of his Expedition Pannierz probably within the hour. (it's monday already in Australia).

So, if anyone in the Reno area wants a free pair of gently abused DirtBagz, PM me, and we'll arrange a meet-up / hand-off at the start of Mobius 4 (Sat, Sept 12, 2009). Even better will be if you can also take a nearly new Coleman 533 dual-fuel stove off our hands. Otherwise they will both end up in a dumpster.

[edit: Questor will be sporting the Ortlieb low-profile dry-bag saddle bags from Aerostitch. Similar in capacity to the Dirtbagz, and less than the Andy Strapz (when fully expanded), I'm looking forward to his review.]

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-14-2009 at 08:44 PM