User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #1651
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Posting delay

Appologies... I'll get back to the RR after rounds in the morning unless it's crazy-busy. We spend the weekend unpacking, , sorting through bills and mail, , replacing / upgrading gear, booking our flights for Mobius IV ..., and I spent part of today researching helmet-cams to use for Mobius IV, and settled on the VholdR Contour HD. (Nice deal on Amazon). So expect some action / drama video for M-4.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #1652
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
So expect some action / drama video for M-4.
Don't you mean vomitting? Watching helmet cam videos gets me dizzy & nauseated way quicker than halibut fishing off Homer AK did (and I was fine during that trip). I guess I don't have to watch them do I?

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #1653
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
Don't you mean vomitting? Watching helmet cam videos gets me dizzy & nauseated way quicker than halibut fishing off Homer AK did (and I was fine during that trip). I guess I don't have to watch them do I?
We'll see how it goes. I wanted to get it now and play with it over the summer so I know what I'm doing come Sept. I'll try to keep it a mix of action (riding) and drama (conversations, wildlife sightings, panoramas, landscapes, etc.)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #1654
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,460
You're waaaay to organized "getting ready for M4"
Thanks again for all the hard work on the RR!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #1655
darrell098
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Video would improve this RR 100%.
how many people mentioned the lack of it?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #1656
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell098
My vote is for still pics, easier on my low bandwidth connection. However, it will be easier to catch the water crossings with the video.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #1657
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Soul
Maybe LDF would feel a little more secure cowboy camping with one of these http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/e...larpowered.htm

Just string it up around your campsite.

Guaranteed to let you know if any Mountain lions, bears, varmits 4 or 2 legged come around.
Just don't pee on it in the dark.

haven't caught up with mb3 yet and for some reason decided to read the last couple pages and saw this post.

do you kids need a night light or two?

Option A

Option B
others out there as well i am sure

could use stakes to mount them on or, not sure how you typically park the bikes at night. could have each bike set up with velcro to cover four directions if they were on either side of your campground

i would think where you guys are camping (darkville) a sudden light on would help scurry critters away
Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #1658
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell098
Ahem, actually, um... just you. But I was thinking about it for awhile. Like I said, we've got a lot of electronics running and charging... GPS's, cameras, iPods, Spot, Cell phones, battery rechargers, and now the Scala intercoms. They each have a learning curve, and have required troubleshooting. One thing at a time.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #1659
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
do you kids need a night light or two?

Option A

Option B
others out there as well i am sure

could use stakes to mount them on or, not sure how you typically park the bikes at night. could have each bike set up with velcro to cover four directions if they were on either side of your campground

i would think where you guys are camping (darkville) a sudden light on would help scurry critters away
Hmmm. I don't think so... it would make the wilderness seem too much like... the Bronx .

( Hi, Steve... toldja someday we'd look back and laugh about it. )

BTW Roy, what helmetcam did you settle on?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #1660
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Hmmm. I don't think so... it would make the wilderness seem too much like... the Bronx .

( Hi, Steve... toldja someday we'd look back and laugh about it. )

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #1661
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Appologies... I'll get back to the RR after rounds in the morning unless it's crazy-busy. We spend the weekend unpacking, , sorting through bills and mail, , replacing / upgrading gear, booking our flights for Mobius IV ..., and I spent part of today researching helmet-cams to use for Mobius IV, and settled on the VholdR Contour HD. (Nice deal on Amazon). So expect some action / drama video for M-4.
M4 can only be improved if you wear the same google/cam setup like the guy on the Contour website.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #1662
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

La Porte rd.

Snaked around, climbing fairly steeply after crossing Nelson Creek

We were still on pavement, and seemed to be getting up to the snow line.

Sure enough... If I'd have been thinking straight, I would have realized that our planned route would be at this same elevation, but on dirt... and just started thinking about re-routing here.

But we were enjoying ourselves too much, and our attitude was if we were going to turn around, it was because we were FORCED to back-track and reroute.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #1663
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This ridge

is called "The Hogback" on the Topo map. It's at about 6200-6600ft.

I guess I was in denial... thinking that maybe on the other side where we'd be riding dirt maybe there was more sun, so more snow would have melted...

Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #1664
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The forces of denial

are so strong, that by the time we turned off onto Johnsville-McCrea road, which was 800ft lower, with no snow visible... we sailed on without a care in the world.

Past deadfall...

Hey, this is good riding...

Maybe we'll get lucky.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM   #1665
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We made it past

the first snow-bank with a little wheel spinning.

The next few could be easily dodged...

past this little hut:

What did I tell you??? no snow on this side! I think we're going to make it up and over.