Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #1741
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

Is there a thread or list of the latest OR updates / problem areas?
Just the one you replied to here.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #1742
CPTBLY
Enjoying the Ride!

Oddometer: 203
Well Done

Thanks Doc, LDF. Have thoroughly enjoyed your trip so far.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #1743
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:

I love this sign... does anyone know exactly what kind of car that is that is not recommended? The silhouette is distinctive.

I'm thinking '67 Galaxy 500?

My parents had a '67 Galaxy.
I practially grew up in the back seat and rear window area of that car.
It was so big that my parents put by entire crib in the backseat on our Bi-annual cross country trips between New York and L.A.

God I miss that car.
I cried when the frame broke due to rust, and they sent it to the Auto Parts crusher.

That 308ci was a dream... It was a great engine, and could really get going in a hurry - and the styling.
Again, I miss that car.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #1744
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Fantastic reporting as always you two! I don't want to wish the summer away, but I'm excited about Mobius IV .
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #1745
Timpechoes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Great report

I was wondering.........when you pack your stove do you have any trouble with it spilling gas? Also how do you pack your stove?

Thanks for all the time and trouble you go through to bring us these reports.........
Timpechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #1746
kerouac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Magnificant

Thanks for all you diligence on the RR. This is a great resource for anyone planning a TAT trip. Good luck with the prep for M-IV. Cheers!
kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #1747
offthetrail
Adventure Schemer

Oddometer: 97
Very nice RR. Now I have to wait again...
Love the details!
offthetrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #1748
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Stove packing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpechoes
I was wondering.........when you pack your stove do you have any trouble with it spilling gas? Also how do you pack your stove?.........
Sorry I missed the question. answer: I never had any problems with any of the coleman stoves spilling gas. Just make sure they're turned off and the cap is tight.

The Optimus Nova (Photo 1) quick-disconnects from a separate fuel bottle. Backpackers will often leave the pump piece (Photo 2) screwed into the bottle -- it won't leak -- but I plan on disassembling it after each use, and capping the bottle properly because I don't want the pump exposed to dust or crashes, (the bottles are in mesh pockets on the rear of each AndyStrapz pannier)

and we don't necessarily use the stove every day.

The stove packs into dedicated stuff sack (coleman did too)
(Photo 3) which is then placed in the saddle bags. I try to pad around them with the clothes dry bags to protect them in case of a crash. (Photo 4)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #1749
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

In other news...

The first link of this thread has been updated with links to Mobius 3 sections.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #1750
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 265
Thumb

Best ride & report yet. Felt almost like I was there. Awesome Ride . That's a ADVENTURE ride & report. You have a great wife, Does she have a sister that ride's ..lol.She need's a great day @ the spa for all the great riding she does, 2 thumb's Up .. Look forward to more adventure's with you 2...Ride On...

RogerDe screwed with this post 06-21-2009 at 03:19 PM
RogerDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #1751
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,064
We want more!
Bring on Part Four!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #1752
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 302
Congratulations to both of you. Great ride and a particularly useful and informative Ride Report, as usual. I've taken a lot of notes. Working on my own trip now, hoping to retire sometime this year or next!

Regards,

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #1753
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Sorry I missed the question. answer: I never had any problems with any of the coleman stoves spilling gas. Just make sure they're turned off and the cap is tight.

The Optimus Nova (Photo 1) quick-disconnects from a separate fuel bottle. Backpackers will often leave the pump piece (Photo 2) screwed into the bottle -- it won't leak -- but I plan on disassembling it after each use, and capping the bottle properly because I don't want the pump exposed to dust or crashes, (the bottles are in mesh pockets on the rear of each AndyStrapz pannier)

and we don't necessarily use the stove every day.

The stove packs into dedicated stuff sack (coleman did too)
(Photo 3) which is then placed in the saddle bags. I try to pad around them with the clothes dry bags to protect them in case of a crash. (Photo 4)
Doc,

Checked your link on the Optimus stove. I'm really "uninformed" about camping so help me out. The detail section for the stove say it runs on kerosene, diesel, white gas, jet fuel and Optimus Artic fuel (whatever that is) but not unleaded gasoline. Is unleaded considered white gas? I'm hoping to build an off-bike camping kit eventually so getting something that works and survives is important, as you know well. Thanks.

Stuart

PS If on M-4 you have to detour to Bend OR for repairs or parts (bike or camping) let me suggest The Motoshop for bike parts and REI for camping. The Motoshop will match internet prices and if you buy your tires from them, they'll install for free. These guys ride and know bikes and won't take advantage of you. Just tell them one of the Benddualsport guys recommended them to you. A younger guy named Brandon runs the place and he's usually limping from a riding injury (he he) but he's really cool. The Motoshop phone: 541-383-0828

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride

taco250 screwed with this post 06-21-2009 at 03:38 PM
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #1754
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
...Is unleaded considered white gas?...

Just tell them one of the Benddualsport guys recommended them to you...
Stuart, unleaded is not recommended mostly for health reasons, but it will work fine. Surveying the collective wisdom of numerous backpacker / camping / hiking forums, I'm more comfortable putting unleaded in the stove, than I am white gas in the bike. . There's no generator tube on the Optimus, so no generator tube to get clogged. Lots of good info in their FAQ's on the Optimus website, especially the Fuel FAQ.

The Optimus Nova manual (downloadable) says this:

"GASOLINE
It is often very easy to get hold of gasoline, even though the quality is variable. Chemically pure gasoline is preferable. Ordinary automotive gasoline contains additives which will contaminate your stove and are hazardous for your health. If you have to use automotive gasoline, use unleaded gasoline wherever possible. Gasoline is highly flammable and preheating occurs quickly. However, gasoline is also very volatile and burns explosively."

FWIW, A similar disclaimer comes with the MSR whisperlite international, even though they officially list unleaded automotive gasoline as an acceptable option:

"Use MSR® SuperFuelTM (White Gas) for optimal performance. It is the highest quality fuel available for your stove. Do not use leaded fuels. Fuels other than MSR SuperFuel lead to rapid stove clogging and require more frequent Jet and Fuel Line cleanings. Also, the use of Unleaded Auto Gas may shorten stove lifespan."

The Coleman Exponent 550 multi-fuel lists unleaded, has no disclaimer regarding health or performance / maintanence issues, and in fact was the one that clogged and failed on me.

For me, the key is field-servicability, and the Optimus nails that. I don't care so much if it clogs, as long as I can disassemble and unclog it on my own. The MSR's achilles heel is the plastic pump IMO.

Also, thanks for the Bend area 411. LDF are eyeballing M-4 route options / ideas this very minute. I've got the Reno-TAT-Port Orford pretty well sorted. To get to Seattle from there, I'm looking at hooking up with the OBCD Route 3 & following that until it heads back East, and instead heading up North along the Cascades. My concerns are liquid and frozen precipitation on the Pacific Coastal range vs. the Western side of the Cascades vs. the Eastern side of the Cascades mid-Sept.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #1755
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDe
You have a great wife, Does she have a sister that ride's ..lol.
I don't know if she does but if she does the line forms behind me.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote