User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #166
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Afternoon activities

So we eat at the Mexican restaurant next door. (we later learn it's the best in town), and like good pioneers, divide the labor straight along traditional gender lines... LDF gathers our dirty clothes and heads off to the laundromat, and I get cracking on the wagon train.

First order of business is to replace blueberry's drivetrain. I knew both bikes would need a chain replacement, and I had bought parts to do both... That's some heavy parts, though, so I left one chain / sprocket and chainring set at home, and only brought one. I was hoping one bike would make it to Albuquerque with what it had, and I waited as long as I could for the worse worn one to declare itself. By Liberal, Blueberry's snail adjusters were all the way out, and I had been tightening them almost every other rest stop for the past day... it was cooked:

I filed down a pin,

And broke the chain with my $16 DID knockoff tool from Mike'sXS.

Yeah, these rings are done:

So is the front sprocket:

And the chain... stretched about 1.5 links compared to the new one:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #167
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Pioneer ingenuity

I scavenge a discarded chair from behind the restaurant, and voila, instant dirtbike lift:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #168
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rear sprocket

Actually wasn't too bad:

But I had decided to gear both bikes to 15/47, mostly for chain longevity (minimizes the frequency with which each link falls on the same tooth)... Blueberry started out 15/44, so she'd have a little more torque down low... perfect for the next sections. Honeybee was already geared at 14/44, which is almost the same, (lighter weight), but wears the sprockets a little more quickly in theory.

I splurged and was mounting a fancy aluminum / steel sprocket which is supposed to wear really well... the theme here is durability, in case you haven't noticed.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #169
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another round of locktite all around... on me

The reason I wanted to get this done this day was that if I ran into a frozen bolt, or any other difficulty, I'd know what I needed first thing in the AM when we would go to Milhon's Cycle, rather than start, get stuck later in the day, then have everything be delayed...

But everything came apart smoothly, and went together the same. Blue locktite for the nuts:

Red for the sprocket splines:

And blue for the sprocket lock nut.

Point being, I have read the DRZ thread here, and the forum on ThumperTalk religiously.

Thanks, fellow DRZ riders.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #170
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mmmmmm

That's pretty.

(Sorry about the mess, Ms Innkeeper -- that night, she swept up the dried mud I'd knocked off the bike. I felt bad -- I'd have done it, my bad.)

Now for the last small matter of riveting the new master:

Oh, did I mention that I've had about 4 Jim Beam and Pepsi's by this point. They're very refreshing.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #171
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Getting stupid

Press the plate on:

So far so good:

Anybody see anything wrong with this picture:???

And can you predict what will happen next?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #172
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Epic trip, and Epic thread.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #173
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Lemme guess, ya broke the riviting tool.
I haven't used one but it looks like the pin is going to bend/snap.

Why didn't you use a master link?

I'm glad you did your research on DRZ's on TT. Endless source of info there.
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #174
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow
Lemme guess, ya broke the riviting tool.
I haven't used one but it looks like the pin is going to bend/snap.

Why didn't you use a master link?

I'm glad you did your research on DRZ's on TT. Endless source of info there.
Bingo, we have a winner!

Why a rivet master? Personal preference... If riveted correctly (as demonstrated below ) I think it has less potential for failure. Nothing flagrantly wrong with clip masters, but starting with a new chain, I try to rivet.

For my field repair / spare parts kit, I have a short section of chain, and two clip masters so I can splice in a few links if necessary. The Motion Pro T-6 tool that I usually carry when I'm not planning to replace a chain as I was on this trip (and the next leg) is not capable of riveting -- only breaking and plate pressing -- it's also much lighter than the DID knockoff.

Of course, this is the end of the pin I was supposed to use:

Which was still functional even though the chain-breaking pin was broken.

One down, one to go:

For the record, boy scout had a spare pin up his sleeve...

But I'm keeping the broken one in my kit, just to remind myself to measure twice and cut once, humble pie, don't drink and wrench, keep yer head in the game, and all the rest.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #175
woodworkernyc
dirty

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
For the record, boy scout had a spare pin up his sleeve...
Yeah, and probably some Tow Straps too! Quite inpressive, the bikes don't look all the overloaded considering all the stuff you've probably got stashed.
Need to check out your list!

I put one of those bi-metal sprockets on the 400. Pricey, but a good design I think. Aluminum is definitely the best material longevity-wise for a sprocket.

btw - My shoulder is killing me. Is a tetnis shot supposed to do that?

(Dr. Rock's actually Dr. Rock)
woodworkernyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #176
midemite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Great ride report. I really look forward to finding new installments - makes the day a bit more interesting at work! Loved your Nova Scotia RR too. I've read it through a few times in preparation for my trip there in July.

LDF is definitly my hero! You rock Francine!

Judi
midemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #177
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,083
Hello again Dr. Rock and LDF.

I'm just letting you know I'm still following your adventures and I'm jealous as heck.
Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #178
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
The reason I wanted to get this done this day was that if I ran into a frozen bolt, or any other difficulty, I'd know what I needed first thing in the AM when we would go to Milhon's Cycle, rather than start, get stuck later in the day, then have everything be delayed...

But everything came apart smoothly, and went together the same. Blue locktite for the nuts:

Red for the sprocket splines:

And blue for the sprocket lock nut.

Point being, I have read the DRZ thread here, and the forum on ThumperTalk religiously.

Thanks, fellow DRZ riders.
Whats with red locktite on the splines I have never heard of that but maybe I should have, Nice Report
huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #179
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Red Loctite Countershaft fix

Check out here,

and here.

More Ride reportage tomorrow... been out with local hooligans tonight.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #180
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sorry to bore everyone

With the maintenance day off riding... but it was a memorable day

And ultimately necessary. On our NS trip, we didn't ever take a full day off. It was something we decided we'd try on this trip, and it really helped. Seven days of riding put us way ahead of a pace to get us to Albuquerque, and we were tired, and the bikes needed some TLC.

First stop (after breakfast) was Milhon's Cycle to pick up supplies. They had held on to a 21" knobby for me, in addition, I picked up a spare tube to replace the valve-torn one from MS, some air-filter cleaner and oil, a bolt to gerry-rig Blueberry's front chain-roller back on which had come loose, and fresh oil, (I had filters already).

Back at the motel, (not wanting to pull a TDB Baja field-oil-change fiasco ) we pulled the bikes around back to drain the oil, catch and recycle it.

I quickly realized that I didn't have a 14mm socket long enough to reach the drain plug. I didn't have a 14mm socket at all, and wasn't to excited to take skid plates off both bikes... luckily there was a NAPA within easy reach, and I was able to procure a 14mm tall 1/4 in socket which now lives forever more with the DRZ tools and spares kit.

Next job, front tire change... no problem

We took a side trip to find a battery for the VaporTech on Honeybee which was necessitating resetting the clock every time I started the bike. While I worked on that, LDF got cracking cleaning the air filters:

We are a good team, I don't care what she says.