User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #2341
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
We passed

some inlets and bays that were used for logging; there were mills and rail lines all over the place.

We also passed a few motorcycle shops. Something to keep in mind if you're in need of repairs or parts at the end of the TAT before heading home.

More bridges,

(note sand dune in the distance)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #2342
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This area

is known for OHV sand dune riding,

and there seemed to be plenty of places to ride and rent bikes / buggies. LDF was not tempted.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #2343
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Even though

we had beautiful weather and conditions, there were signs warning of all kinds of dangers... Warning: high winds, rock slides, tsunami evacuation area, etc.

More lakes,

more bridges,

more dunes,

and finally....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #2344
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The good stuff!

(Just riding & wind noise -- turn the sound down if you're going to watch.)

more bridges,

and more beach.

It makes you dizzy sometimes;

We didn't stop much,

as beautiful as this area was, we wanted to get back on the dirt, in the woods.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-15-2009 at 03:44 AM
Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #2345
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322

Congrats on finishing the TAT finally!

I don't know why all you guys are amazed at LDF's talents. From the beginning of M1, I knew LDF was totaly capable of doing the trip and doing it well, more so than many of us, even me. It's David I've worried about!

BTW, isn't the Oregon Coast beautiful?????????

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:50 AM   #2346
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A couple more riding clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
It sure is. We just didn't have the right tires for the road.

Again, lower the sound if you want to view these clips -- the wind noise is pretty bad:

Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #2347
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We weren't planning to stop

for lunch... we almost never do...just gas and go, but when I spied this joint, I made us double back.

You could bring in your own catch and they'd cook it for you:

delicious!

Yum, yum, yum.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #2348
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was time

to leave the coast, and turn inland.

I've heard the expression "... did you just fall off the pumpkin truck?" but I hadn't ever seen an actual pumpkin truck.

Now I have.

We were crossing the Willamette valley, which is agricultural, flat, and hot.

We stopped for a break in the shade at Albany (Oregon, not New York)

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #2349
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We crossed I-5

and then it was...

Off to Detroit! (Who can place the following quote?) :

here's a hint:

Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #2350
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
on the topo, and see that we'll be crossing a whole bunch of lines in a very short distance. I hazard a guess that this is what LittleWan referred to as "Tourette hill" in their ride report, and the same hill that others have struggled with.

I gotta say, I figured it would be steep, and it started out steep, and then it got a whole lot steeper.
Oh, I mentioned the steepness and took photos, but I was not clever enough to have christened it, "Tourette Hill!" We were actually whooping it up and having a great time - no swearing here
I did walk that last bit - after stopping to take photos, it's hard to gather momentum on a 500lb bike...

I fell behind in reading your report - belated congratulations on making it to Port Orford!
Love those beach pics - TATers are always sooo happy in those photos
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #2351
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250

Congrats on finishing the TAT finally!

I don't know why all you guys are amazed at LDF's talents. From the beginning of M1, I knew LDF was totaly capable of doing the trip and doing it well, more so than many of us, even me. It's David I've worried about!

WOW....thanks for your vote of confidence Stuart and all your support on this trip.

LDF
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #2352
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Talking

Congrats and thanks! Wow, friggin wow is all I can muster...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #2353
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

East of I-5

if it weren't for the mountains on the horizon,

you'd have thought we were back in eastern Oklahoma

Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #2354
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We climbed back into the Cascade range,

into lumber country,

over old, and older bridges,

still on pavement, chewing up the miles.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #2355
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Didn't even slow down

past the Big Cliff Dam on the North Santiam River,... built in 1954 and recently repaired.

once we past Detroit Lake,

I knew we were close. We stopped at the General Store for gas and groceries (and wine),

(strangely, no one asked any of the usual questions )

A few miles up the Breitenbush River we found Humbug campground (mis-placed by a couple of miles on the N.F. POI database, for the record)

It wasn't even 5pm yet, so we had plenty of time to set up camp, collect firewood, and explore the area.