User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #271
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Ridge to valley

Alpine to desert. This is really a neat area.

I'd see little dotted forest service roads branching off all over, and I wanted to explore them all!

Just like home:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #272
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next thing you know, we drop a few thousand feet,

and it's 80 degrees.

Crossing the Rio Grande

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #273
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Starting to climb again...

I wish I had figured out a good route off-pavement through this section. The road we were on was a little hairy... twisty, windy, cliffs, lots of trucks. But the views were spectacular.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #274
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Los Alamos

No photos. All that security freaks me out. But I think I now have a job for this smiley which I never quite know how to use:

Shortly thereafter, we entered the Jemez mountains which are part of the Santa Fe National forest.

I hoped we were far enough south that we could ride off-pavement again and traverse the area on forest service roads.

As the pavement climbed, though, it didn't look too promising:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 03:26 PM
Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #275
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

"Congested Area"

Huh?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #276
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Bandelier National Monument

We found the turnoff to the road I had selected weeks ago using Google Earth, and the Garmin Database to route us through this area:

It started out nicely graded, and we entered the SFNF:

A few potholes appeared, but this wasn't as bad as some of the stuff we were riding in OK.

But as we climbed higher, we got back into snow:

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 04:49 PM
Old 06-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #277
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More riding around

Well, the roads on the maps I used, and the ones on the GPS, and the names of the roads we're riding on are all different.

But they're pretty, so we ride around for awhile, trying to figure out

We even get waved over by a lady driving a NPS pickup, who asks US how to find the road SHE'S looking for...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #278
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back to Rte. 4?

I try to just get us back to the pavement...

But right around this curve, there's snow drifts all the way across the road, and we'd have to climb another several hundred feet in elevation over a mile or so to get back to pavement that way...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #279
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next guess

By now, I'm starting to be able to correlate the route I've plotted with what we're seeing at ground level. I figure out that this is the road I want.

It starts out steep and through soft slush, so before I bring us both down it, I decide to scout a little ways.

It's perfect...

for a day-ride on pure dirtbikes, with no luggage, and a support system nearby, and a group of experienced riders.

But not for us. It's obvious that it hasn't been ridden yet this season by any vehicle, it follows a creek, and the big unknowns are possible deadfall, impossible water crossings, wash-outs, mud / rock slides, etc. Plus we're looking at 20+ miles of this before it breaks out onto anything bigger, if it does at all. I head back to where I've left Francine.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #280
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One last try

The lady in the pick-up told us about the dome road that she thought went all the way across. She said it was pretty beaten up, but that we should be able to do it on our bikes. Not a car, though.

I take a shortcut feeder to what I think is that road,

which was actually pretty gnarly, and it spills out onto another nicely graded dirt road.

And headed in the right direction to boot!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #281
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
It can be confusing up there. 268!!! that the one you want! LOL

Old 06-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #282
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

She had mentioned that the road had great views because of the forest fire...

After a few miles, we knew we were on the right track. It followed a ridgeline, and there were really rugged grand vistas in either direction.

Eventually we got to this sign, and then we knew... this must be the road!

It only got better after this!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #283
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The perfect road

This was, I think the highlight of our ride... this section.

It was just challenging enough, but not too... we weren't tired, or hungry, or wet, or lost, or rushed(!). The weather was perfect. The views were stunning. There was no one else around. We were gaagaa.

To the right:

Left:

Ahead:

Old 06-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #284
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

1996!

12 years ago... that's when the fire was. !!!

This forest does NOT recover quickly!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #285
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sights along the way

Yeah, she's smiling!