User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #286
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
More sights

This was the kind of stuff we were hoping for. This is what we'd been trying to get to. To be able to sample it on our last day riding of this Mobius leg is just an appetizer to come back and find more.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #287
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The cliffs

We took a rest stop at these cliffs. Simply amazing:

This one deserves to be large:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #288
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another game of...

Find Francine:

try this zoomed in, look a little further down the road:

She was flying!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #289
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Stop for the view...

But check out what's ahead:

The narrow road follows that ledge... not somewhere you want to target fixate... I was concerned she was psyching herself out, and just as I'm about to say something encouraging... she takes off.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #290
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,602
Incredible report Dave and Francine, looks like the trip of a lifetime.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #291
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Confidence

Stands up on the pegs, looks ahead, and solidly cleans the section, and continues on. She was riding like she was on fire.

We've got to figure out a way to bottle that!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #292
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Signs of civilization?

glyphs?

Cave dwellings?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #293
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Fears

From previous discussions, I knew that one of LDF's big fears is how she'll handle steep downhill switchbacks on loose terrain, with big dropoffs, and no guardrails.

(I know what you're thinking... what's the big deal? Just do it.) You try and tell that to her. Double dare you.

So we're motoring along, and we pass these two on mountain bikes.

It's a couple, with the guy in the lead. We stop and turn off our engines. They're in the granniest gear, sweating like swine, and have no water.

They pass us, and we can't believe what we've seen.

We start our engines, and continue on. I don't know if it was the distraction, or thinking to ourselves "how the heck did those two ride UP this?" but the next section was... you guessed it: steep downhill switchbacks on loose terrain, with big dropoffs, and no guardrails.

So we get to a flatter section and stop... and I tell her, congratulations, you just conquered your greatest riding fear-factor scenario

I get a blank stare... "what do you mean?"... "you know you just rode through steep downhill switchbacks on loose terrain, with big dropoffs, and no guardrails.???"

She shrugs... "Yeah, I guess I did."
Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #294
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

But check out what's ahead:

The narrow road follows that ledge... not somewhere you want to target fixate... I was concerned she was psyching herself out, and just as I'm about to say something encouraging... she takes off.

Carefull Dave.....Soon Francine will start planning the ADV rides! She might even invite you along, just for maintainence purposes
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #295
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Lower elevations

We were continuing to drop down...

still, with fantastic views around each turn.

But before long...

We were...

Old 06-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #296
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl Richard
Carefull Dave.....Soon Francine will start planning the ADV rides! She might even invite you along, just for maintainence purposes
I assure you, Brian... we're already there.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #297
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There's even water crossings!

to help wash the dust off.

how convenient.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #298
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Taking it in to Albuquerque

A little more dirt...

and then pavement for a bit...

Some kind of big-ass dam or something?

Easy riding:

Old 06-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #299
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This photo

Cracks me up...

Not because it looks like the poles are smokestacks...

But because of the cattle guard.

(I am both a bad person, and easily amused sometimes).
Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #300
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Coincidence,

or sign from above???

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

The ancients were keeping a record of how many airplanes flew by. Eh?