User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #3091
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
More

I know... it's starting to look the same.

OK... here's something different... a rain cloud. Over there.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #3092
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The bridge

at Teslin... open grate.

and long.

thank god for TKC-90's, eh?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #3093
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
got to love those open - grate bridges!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #3094
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the

we considered our options:

We still had a few miles in us, (as did the sprockets), but Whitehorse was further than we wanted to ride. We sat down and checked the maps...

OOoohh... that looks good.

Chatting with the kid on the left, who rode motocross himself, he provided promising intel, that the Yamaha dealer in Whitehorse would likely be able to help us out if the Suzuki dealer couldn't... but also confirmed that everything would be closed on monday, for the Victoria Day holiday.

At least we found a big-ass can of WD-40.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #3095
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A few miles later

we pulled into a campground at Johnson's Crossing

they had a kitchen and so we decided not to cook. It had been a long day.

The good news is that we were close enough to Whitehorse, that if one of the chains broke, one of us could ride to Whitehorse, rent something, and we could manage our own extrication.

At supper, we watched a kid on an ATV tear across the bridge, pull into the parking lot, and use the pay phone.

strange stuff that sticks in your memory.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #3096
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ldf

had more energy to take pichers than I did...

I lubed the chains one more time... and photo-documented the wear:

keep your fingers crossed.

I think I was starting to get over-tired.... the long hours of daylight were messing with my sleep.

At least we figured out that it wasn't a great idea to wait for the sun to set before lighting the campfire.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #3097
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We rallied

to make this TKC-90 video update:

and took a few more pichers.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #3098
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Still,

pretty much daylight, at 10:30PM... I threw the last of our firewood in the pit,

and stumbled off to sleep.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #3099
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 10 Stats, tracks and elevations

(click for larger)

Attached Files
File Type: gpx 2010-05-23 M5.GPX (77.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #3100
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
to make this TKC-90 video update:[/IMG]
LDF recommended - only if they're cheaper!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #3101
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Thumb Chain lube

Doc -

WD40 for chain lube?!?!?

On an o-ring chain you really are only lubing the o-rings, but more importantly, the sprocket/chain interface.

WD40 is too thin - it's a penetrating lube - OK for the o-rings but does nothing for the sprocket.

I've tried the chain wax.... didn't like it. Seems more like a storage lube than a working chain lube.

Ended up trying NAPA chain and cable lube.... works great and widely available. Got over 10K on the current chain/sprockets on my XR650L and no sign of wear what so ever. It's an RK x-ring with cheap steel sprockets from Parts Unlimited (Moose countershaft). This is with really tough riding - CDR, SOR and TetS.... on this chain.

Just my 2 cents worth... don't want to ignite the chain lube wars....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #3102
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 595
Daylight at 10:30pm???? I would struggle going to sleep too. Dang maybe you need a black tent for your next summer trip to AK
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #3103
JMB_ADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks for sharing Team Mobius :-)

Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #3104
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
Doc -

WD40 for chain lube?!?!?

On an o-ring chain you really are only lubing the o-rings, but more importantly, the sprocket/chain interface.

WD40 is too thin - it's a penetrating lube - OK for the o-rings but does nothing for the sprocket.

I've tried the chain wax.... didn't like it. Seems more like a storage lube than a working chain lube.

Ended up trying NAPA chain and cable lube.... works great and widely available. Got over 10K on the current chain/sprockets on my XR650L and no sign of wear what so ever. It's an RK x-ring with cheap steel sprockets from Parts Unlimited (Moose countershaft). This is with really tough riding - CDR, SOR and TetS.... on this chain.

Just my 2 cents worth... don't want to ignite the chain lube wars....
+1, I use korosene to clean. Kerosene is known to swell the oring, and make it seal better, rather then make it shrivel, which is what wd-40 does.

Of course, I suppose wd40 is better then nothing

Great report though, I'm loving the pictures!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?” Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #3105
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
He said, "Clean and lube while hot."!!!!
Truth be told... my previous maintenance routine for a high-quality o- or x-ring chain has been to do absolutely nada nothing, zip, ziltch until it starts to wear, then change it asap.

That works for about 11,000 miles, in my (well-documented) experience. But it will trash the rear sprocket, and if you have just started a long, remote trip, you may get stuck in Whitehorse without a replacement.

My NEW and improved maintenance routine for a high-quality o- or x-ring chain will be to do absolutely nada nothing, zip, ziltch for 8000 miles, and then change it.

The only time I'd done anything for these chains is after they were exposed to salt and sand on the beach in Oregon.

Careful attention and frequent lubrication with appropriate chain lube will squeeze plenty more miles as evidenced by Doug, but frankly, I'm more than happy to subject the chain to daily abuse and neglect and then say "Thank you, chain. Job well done." at 8000 miles, give it a watch and a one way ticket to Boca. The additional miles aren't worth the headache and mess (to me).

The WD-40 was all that was available for damage control, and better than nothing for the last 450 miles at which point the chain was more like a non-o-ring chain anyway.