User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #301
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
Last bit-o-dirt

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #302
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just a touch of city traffic

and the next thing you know, we're pulling up to the A-1 storage facility where we'll be leaving our bikes 'till next time.

We meet the Don of A-1... who I've been corresponding with from NYC to set this up.

And even though it's after hours on a friday, he sticks around to orient us to the gate, and show us our space, and finish up the paperwork!

He even is nice enough to take our photo:

It's hot, we're sweaty and hungry and thirsty... so we drive down the block to the nearest hotel (we're right near the airport)
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #303
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Unfortunately,

the airport is also near the University, and it's graduation weekend, and that hotel is booked solid.

And the next,

and the next,

until we find one that has a suite available, and we take it.

It isn't even really that expensive, and given all the camping we've been doing, it's easy to justify it.

We made it!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #304
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next day

A little sightseeing in the morning, then errands, then chores.

But first, some low-speed drills with the luggage off the bike. We discussed how if she was going to continue to run point on these trips, and consistently miss turns and have to backtrack, she better get proficient at tight low-speed turning like we learned at the Trials Training Center last year.

So as we were cutting through the University,

I spied a little dirt area we could practice...

Which we did until she dropped the bike and got pissed at me .

But it was fun while it lasted.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #305
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Old Albuquerque

Then we rode across town,

Coffee stop.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #306
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We sat in the square and drank our coffee.

1st communion?

Nice posture:

Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #307
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next, we rode to Walmart to get a little gas can.

Some sights along the way...

The most interesting thing about the Walmart was this parked out front... a nice rat bike specimen:

We were able to get a little sense of what Albuquerque is about. Seems like a neat place.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #308
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next stop,

Bike shop.

We had had a long talk about how this Mobius idea was working for us. We both agreed that we wanted to do more of it, and that the worst part was schlepping gear into and out of cabs, and on and off airplanes.

So we decided to stop at a bike shop, and try to duplicate as much gear as we could, and leave as much as possible with the bikes. Someone recommended this on the planning thread, but I didn't think it would be that big a deal.

It took us a couple of tries to find a store with a decent selection, and one led to another who sent us here:

They were having a sale, and the staff was helpful, and while we were there, a bunch of riders stopped by, and people were asking us about our trip, and it was a pretty cool scene.

She (who's name I can't remember, but Francine probably does because they were talking while I was shopping), is an ADVRider.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #309
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next, chores

Back to the hotel room to sort through the rest of our gear, and pack up the stuff that was staying with the bikes.

Trying on my new helmet, goggles, and Blueberry's $30 new front knobby.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #310
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Off to the storage unit

Where I modeled my new riding pants and knee pads,

Showed off our spacious 5'X10' garage space:

I hope both bikes fit....
Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #311
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wrenching

And proceed to drain the tanks, change my jetting, drain the carbs,

While LDF wrenches on her new upper chain roller:

And I couldn't for the life of me unstick Blueberry's front axle bolt, and I couldn't borrow a bmf wrench 'cause no one's around, and I couldn't go and buy one 'cause the gas tanks are already drained, so I couldn't change her front tire.

So if anyone in the greater Albuquerque area has nothing better to do on saturday Sept. 6th when we return, than to loan me a bmf crescent wrench so I can get that front tire changed, we would be mucho appreciative!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #312
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Packing them in

It took a couple of tries,

Ta da!

The rest of the gear...

Locked and loaded. Tucked in cozy for a few months...

Bye bye.

If we're lucky, when we get back there'll be a little baby two-stroke in there as well.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #313
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Walking back to the hotel

It was a little strange not to have our gear, or keep an eye on the bikes, or be carrying a helmet.

We missed those little bikes.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #314
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next morning

Up early, breakfast, and then rather than kill time in the hotel doing whatever.

We must get to the airport 4 hours early.

Because that's how LDF likes to do it...

So I spent time looking at the neat-o model airplane display.

And then we flew back home, Chapter 1 under our belts, to live happily ever after until we do it all over again next September.

Let the Chapter 2 planning commence!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #315
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,842
Sweet! I can't wait for the next installment!