Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #5416
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Excellent summary on trip planning steps... THANKS!!!

Quite curious as to why step 12? Why a map overlay, and what does this entail? And, isn't combining all tracks into one constraining due to max number of waypoints per track limits in your gps? I noticed on M9 that some of the day tracks exceeded 400 waypoints. Do some gps units accommodate very large tracks?
A map overlay is an otherwise transparant high resolution image of your route line(s) that carries a tiny memory footprint.

Reasons to use / distribute a .gmap overlay of a long route:

A. It is always visible above any other maps on your GPS device once loaded and selected to display.
B. It is not subject to re-routing complications if you deviate from your intended route.
C. It is universally distributable to any garmin GPS device, whereas tracks have size restrictions and routes may be calculated differently on different devices.
D. You don't need any other map loaded to see it, just the basemap and you'll have a line to follow.
E. Redundancy. Why use routes too? Routes will give you mileage to next waypoint, gas or destination, the .gmap image will not.

Here are the steps:

1. Create your routes, in Basecamp, recalculate and confirm that they are following the roads/trails you want precisely.
2. Use Basecamp to convert your pre-calculated routes to tracks. No need to filter down points, they can have as many points as you like.
3. If desired, combine your tracks into one long track, or color code each track.
4. Export your track(s) as a .GPX file.
5. Open IMGfromGPX.
6. Drag and drop the .GPX file onto the window.
7. I use thin.typ, try none and thick as you desire.
8. Choose track color if you want them all to be the same-- very important -- default (none) actually converts some BaseCamp shades to primary colors, see IMGfromGPX documentation.
9. Name the map as you like, enter it into the "Name on PC" and "Name on device" fields.

9.5 ***IMPORTANT NOTE*** If you have already made a map with IMGfromGPX, it will have assigned the Family ID as 12345. You will need to change the default entry in this field to a different number, 12346, for example. To check ALL your maps for these kinds of errors, etc, I suggest JaVaWa GMTK.

10. Click "Create map", you will be prompted where you want to save the .gmap file.
11. Double click on the .gmap file, MapManager should invite you to install it in your maps folder, or just drag it in the folder with all your other maps.
12. Close and re-open Basecamp and confirm that your .gmap is visible.
13. Open MapInstall and plug in your GPS. You should be able to select your map overlay to be delivered to your device along with any other maps like CNNA, or Topos.
14. Once installed on your device, select it... it will appear above any other selected maps, including CNNA.

Check the IMGfromGPX help files if you're having trouble.

I've created an example from M9 here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 06:47 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #5417
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,028
wow doc. great tips. i gotta come over one day so you can teach me how to use basecamp. for the life of me i just cannot figure it out and make the switch from mapsource.
good stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #5418
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
wow doc. great tips. i gotta come over one day so you can teach me how to use basecamp. for the life of me i just cannot figure it out and make the switch from mapsource.
good stuff.

+1 can you do a video when you do Frank....
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #5419
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Map overlay examples from M9

Quote:
good stuff.
Anytime, Frank... though there are loads of tutorials and stuff.

As an example, I've uploaded two map overlay's I made from M9 here available for download. (They're bundled in a zip file only because PogoPlug sees .gmap files as folders).

The map file labeled "M9 routes" is what we intended to ride, the track was generated from the Basecamp Route-to-Track conversion feature, and the map made with IMGfromGPX.

The map labeled "M9 tracks" is what we actually rode. If you read the ride report, you can figure out from the date why there might be a discrepancy (seasonal road closed, trail doesn't actually exist, locked gate, unanticipated lack of fuel, etc.)

The "M9 tracks" gmap file was made from the actual tracks downloaded from my Montana. The .GPX file containing the full unfiltered 2300mile, 14 day ride is 18.8MB and over 100,000 track points.

The corresponding .gmap file which is just as detailed weighs in at 412KB.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #5420
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:

If you camp up there make sure you have bear mace as it's Griz country big time.
Thanks Docking Pilot. Now you know that wont be happening
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #5421
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Don't go scaring LDF with the talk of BEARS!
Clearly you read my mind before I read your post.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #5422
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

lol
have to forewarn right? and youll know it as it is heavily posted entering the Gravelys. you will see others camping up there though. hunters and fishermen mostly.
story:
2 friends of mine i sent that way last year when i deviated them off the cdr stopped for a break. a local comes by in a 4x4 and chit chats. asks "you boys packin" ? my friend actually was but the local said he needed better ammo. he reached into his glove box and gave them a box of better shells.
lol
while it did not work out for us to camp there timeing wise I certainly would have!
dont worry LDF just throw a slab of bacon on Sampsons tent after he turns in.
Bear vs BD. my money is on BD lol

Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #5423
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10 Final draft posted

Here.

Still need to double check and confirm, though it'll be minor tweaks at this point. 2168 miles.

Those of you who have expressed interest in joining us, expect an email this afternoon. If you don't hear from me, please PM -- I want to do most of our logistics via email if possible.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #5424
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
If you camp up there make sure you have bear mace as it's Griz country big time.
FYI, the best bear repellant is a 12gauge with extended magazine and loaded with slugs. Can't see Doc going for that, LDF maybe.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #5425
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

nah. its getting blown out of proportion im afraid. just use common sense like you always do anywhere else guys.
youll love it LDF!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #5426
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
FYI, the best bear repellant is a 12gauge with extended magazine and loaded with slugs. Can't see Doc going for that, LDF maybe.
Meh, we've got the bear spray, and we string everything up at night. Just been lucky so far, I guess. As a longtime fan of Hunter S. Thomson, I would fear for my life far more if I or LDF had easy access to a firearm.

Just sayin'

Quote:
...I am GPS challenged. ...How good are the Atlas maps you occasionally refer to?...Also, what do you guys like for bug repellant when camping?...Thanks,

Stuart
The way we roll, our trips would be impossible without GPS and satellite technology. If we had all the time in the world, and no jobs to come home to we could explore every fork and dead-end trail we came across heading in a general direction. But we can't, and technology is indispensable.

That said, all the big picture planning first happens with paper maps. Backroads atlases for Canada, and Benchmark for the Western US. These are detailed enough when coupled with some familiarity with the area, and function as a back-up for the GPS's.

When ever we meet a locked gate, or a forest fire or a snow drift across the road we start by scrolling on the GPS to find a go-around. If it's only a mile or two that works fine. Half the time though, the re-route is >10 miles, and you can't pan far enough out and still see the dirt roads on the GPS, so the only way you're gonna salvage a good go-around is with the paper maps.

After plotting the route, we cut out the relevant pages from the atlases, and number them in sequence for our trip, and carry them in a ziplock bag. I then add waypoints along the GPS route identifying what atlas page corresponds to that area for easy reference. Ranson can testify -- when we get blocked, we identify our options and get unstuck pretty quick.

Regarding bug spray -- a 12gauge with extended magazine and loaded with slugs. Just kidding I like light and strong. We carry 100% DEET like this, in a small spray bottle. Spray on your palms, and rub over other areas. Be careful not to spray directly on synthetics, 'cause it'll break them down. We also have these bug nets which work great for those annoying gnats.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #5427
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

After plotting the route, we cut out the relevant pages from the atlases, and number them in sequence for our trip, and carry them in a ziplock bag. I then add waypoints along the GPS route identifying what atlas page corresponds to that area for easy reference. Ranson can testify -- when we get blocked, we identify our options and get unstuck pretty quick.
Scrolling on a 3 inch screen ain't fun.
GPS tells you your compass heading so you can orient the paper map then you can see the BIG picture.
Paper maps are also great for post ride debriefs
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #5428
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
lol

dont worry LDF just throw a slab of bacon on Sampsons tent after he turns in.
Bear vs BD. my money is on BD lol
Don't make me get out my Gerber LMFII and my bear spray
I"ll be packin' those bad boys.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #5429
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Good deal. We'll pour the bacon grease on your tent and you can deal with the onery critters.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #5430
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

And watch out when he pulls those out!!!!!!............

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote