byways

Oddometer: 2,108
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #5583
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Thanks for throwing us a bone, Ding Weeds

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #5584
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day 2 photos uploading now

regular programming will resume shortly.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #5585
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
regular programming will resume shortly.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #5586
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,108
After this, and Dockingpilot's epic report, there may need to be an ADV traffic light up on the Gravellys next season ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #5587
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 2: Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012

We were up early... it was a bit chilly, if I recall.

A quick breakfast and coffee. Everyone got themselves all packed up without incident.

and then it was a "Good Morning" and introductions:

And then... wheel's rollin'!

Today's route would start by gently easing us down out of the Gravelly's, and then trying to punch through a back way to Virginia City. Tony and I had gone back and forth speculating whether the route would be open or private, and we'd decided it was worth a try.

Unfortunately, Bob's bike got up on the wrong side of the bed. We were hoping it was just the altitude, but he was way down on power, and sputtering.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #5588
Tom Blum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
these wide vista shots are the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. Must be the autumn sun light or something.

I've been there ( Colorado) and it didn't look that good.
Tom Blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #5589
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Photo processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blum View Post
these wide vista shots are the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. Must be the autumn sun light or something.
I've been there ( Colorado) and it didn't look that good.
Thanks, Tom (I think ) I fully admit that I run all our shots through Lightroom and tweak them. My only objective is to clean them up, level and crop, and make the scenes look the way I remember them. The Canon and the Leica both capture RAW data which by definition just records what the sensor sees with virtually no consideration for how our eyes or more importantly how our brain sees. The P&S Olympus spits out JPEGS following a pre-determined algorithm to pare down the RAW data to what Olympus engineers feel is how the scene looked. Problem is... they weren't there, I was.

Sometimes I'll pull up an photo in Lightroom and I'll say to myself, "what the heck was I thinking taking this shot?" And then I'll adjust the white balance, push some sliders back and forth and then a light bulb goes off, "Oh yeah... that's why". It's an interesting exercise in technology and perception. I can't say that the way my photos are presented is exactly how reality looked... our riding partners can better speak to that. All I can say is that is how I remembered it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #5590
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The morning light

was almost the mirror image of the evening light that ended yesterday's ride.

I think Tony might be right about the Gravelly's being a destination.

It's a beautiful morning, we're riding an easy pace, early start, and we've nicely spread out:

We spy the Madison River to our East. We won't be going down there, but rather approach from the west, skirt north along it for a bit, and then head back up in elevation, west again towards Virginia City.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #5591
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Bob

takes the opportunity to split off, and ride pavement to V-City and meet us, 'cause the next section is a big unknown.

Big Dog lets everyone pass as he takes photos, and then passes us back:

We swap taking pix of each other:

Just havin' fun.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #5592
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Down in the valley

these guys were hanging out having brunch,

then it was back in the hills via the back way to Virginia City.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #5593
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I was a little

apprehensive. I mean, here I am, a NYC city slicker, spec'ing a backroad route that I "think" maybe might just connect. A route that I've traced out on possibly outdated and inaccurate maps, and cross-referencing that with some grainy satellite images from Google Earth. And six other riders trust me enough to follow. I mean "Ive only been here in my imagination."

It's pretty tastey.

It's not a super long stretch... 15 miles or so,

but it's loads of fun,

and gosh darn it if it doesn't actually punch through to Virginia City!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 04:01 AM
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #5594
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At Virginia City

Bob manages to find us amidst the urban sprawl. He decides he doesn't want to risk his bike crapping out, and decides to stick to pavement, and head back via calmer waters.

We hold our first graduation ceremony of M10: Bob, it was an honor to ride with ya'. Hope we cross paths again.

We poked around V-City a bit,

No gas...

Then saddled up, and shoved off.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #5595
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On our way out,

we got a better sense of Virginia City's tourism draw.

You get the idea... they even had a little train station with a little train.

we resisted all temptation sucking us in to the tourist traps.