Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #5596
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
After a touch of pavement

it was back to the two-track:

which eventually widened out to a proper dirt road.

It would have been a really fun section if only the weather was a bit nicer.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #5597
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Francine and the antelope

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #5598
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Doc &LDF into V-city

Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #5599
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Doc taking a pic

Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #5600
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Midway through

a flat section,

we found some shade, and stopped for a little break...

we already missed that Bob guy. What was his screen name again?

up into the hills again,

our route was thwarted by a road being closed to all but local traffic on account of the fire danger. As we were trying to scout a go-around, tragedy struck:

well, not tragedy in the big scheme of things, but a flat tire, nonetheless. And this warnt no dynabead valve malfunction. It was a proper nail puncture. We were running low on gas, and peeps were getting hungry, so we split the group.

Mark, NT-Scott, and DW-Scott headed for the next fuel depot at Sterling, while Me, Tony, and Francine fixed the flat.

we made pretty quick work of it...

Turns out, that when I went to remove the old tube, the valve de-laminated.

I couldn't have been happier... I hated that tube.

It was an extra heavy-duty tube that we'd sourced at the beginning of Mobius I, believe it or not, from Francois Gaprunr in Tennessee when I'd pinch-destroyed two tubes mounting new tires using my inept greenhorn technique. Every tire change since then I'd struggled both with threading the valve stem through the rim, and also to get that damn tube positioned correctly with the rimlock, etc. After 20K+ miles, the valve had finally given up the ghost. Hallelujah.

Trail stand (ADVRider product plug!) worked the bomb:

and after transferring the dynabeads to our spare rear tube and airing up,

We were on our way. Forward scouts will have to provide commentary and photos of your "lunch".

Not a bad place for a flat:

Just a bit windy.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #5601
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

And now a word from our sponcer!!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #5602
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I mean "Ive only been here in my imagination."
Me too, thanks to you guys!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #5603
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

After gas

at Sterling, we followed the Madison River Valley north,

along this ridge to the East,

which leads to,

which is where native americans herded buffalo over the cliffs in order to harvest them. (Death and destruction theme of M10 again,

Apparently you can still find bones amidst the pile of rocks at the bottom of the cliffs.

From here: "Situated on the edge of a broad valley carved by the Madison River, this high limestone cliff was used for 2,000 years (as recent as 200 years ago) by Native Americans. It enabled them to stampede herds of bison in vast numbers off this massive semicircular cliff, utilizing them for food, clothing, shelter and provisions.

The 'runners' were highly skilled young men trained for speed and endurance and wearing buffalo, antelope or wolf skins, lured the bison to the 'pishkun' or cliff. This was their only means for survival. Although the introduction of horses led to the abandonment of this jump sometime after 1700, the rugged outcropping now serves as an inspiring monument to the region's early inhabitants. "

The weather was looking like it might turn nasty, so we didn't stay long:

Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #5604
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Continuing North,

we crossed I-90 and the Gallatin River. We were only a couple miles from where the Madison, Gallatin, and Jefferson Rivers converge to form the Missouri River. We'd catch up with the Missouri River later at the Missouri Breaks, to northeast in a couple days.

Climing into the Horseshoe Cottonwood canyon, we hit some patches of nasty deep silt. That's where Scott went down:

Scott and his bike were full of silt, and a little scraped up. Once we figured out that there were no major injuries other than the GPS mount, we found that Scott's WR wouldn't turn over. We futzed for a while, and then I went ahead to catch Mark since he had the same bike and maybe knew something we didn't, while they continued to troubleshoot.

Eventually they bump-started the bike and caught up with Mark & me, and later at camp, discovered silt packing the starter switch.

we were back underway.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #5605
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

One minute

the skies looked like this,

and 20 minutes later, like this!

It was pushing 6pm when we rolled into Maudlow

an old whistle stop on the abandoned Milwaukee Road line

that went through Sixteen Mile Creek canyon

and was considered one of the most beautiful stretches of railway in North America. Of course it's all on private land now. But could be yours for a mere $2,650,000.

Maybe someday there will be public access. Who knows.

What we needed was somewhere to camp. And this whole area seemed to be infested with signs like this:

Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #5606
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We passed

into,

and then out of the Gallitin National Forest, and even then it wasn't clear if there were legal camping opportunities.

the road through there sure was a beauty, though.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #5607
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

By the time

we emerged from the canyon,

it was well past 6pm, and we really needed to figure out a destination.

Across some foothills,

we were in private ranch land, and everything was posted.

We passed through the bar of Ringling, asked around, and no one knew of anywhere to camp.

We rode back up into the hills, and spied this powerline access road that we followed down into a holler away from the bigger gravel road, and since we were losing light fast, decided here was as good as any, and far better than riding into the dark.

I present to you: "Camp Power"

Any port in a storm.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #5608
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 2 stats

It was another long day, and high miles, despite some delays and setbacks -- my flat, Scott's crash, closed road reroutes. Not bad!

and the .GPX tracks are here.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #5609
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Gonna ride

to D.C. for the weekend. Will try to process some photos before then, but otherwise it'll be next week. That'll give the M10 crew time to fill in the gaps, and add their own commentary.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #5610
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Art Justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Thanks, Tom (I think ) I fully admit that I run all our shots through Lightroom and tweak them. My only objective is to clean them up, level and crop, and make the scenes look the way I remember them. The Canon and the Leica both capture RAW data which by definition just records what the sensor sees with virtually no consideration for how our eyes or more importantly how our brain sees. The P&S Olympus spits out JPEGS following a pre-determined algorithm to pare down the RAW data to what Olympus engineers feel is how the scene looked. Problem is... they weren't there, I was.

Sometimes I'll pull up an photo in Lightroom and I'll say to myself, "what the heck was I thinking taking this shot?" And then I'll adjust the white balance, push some sliders back and forth and then a light bulb goes off, "Oh yeah... that's why". It's an interesting exercise in technology and perception. I can't say that the way my photos are presented is exactly how reality looked... our riding partners can better speak to that. All I can say is that is how I remembered it.
This seems as acceptable, and realistic, an explanation for the "art of photography" as I've heard. That said, it is by no means new to the digital age. Man Ray was once chastened by a painter of his era for being "confined to documentary realism by using a camera which can only shows things as they actually are". Presumably he felt painting left a greater latitude for artistic interpretation. As the story goes, Man Ray asked his friend if he carried a snapshot of his girlfriend. When the wallet size image was proffered for viewing Man Ray said..."She lovely...a pity she is so small."