User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #5626
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Welcome back, Mark

our next section took a bit of Hwy 12 (where Tony split off), and then turned onto dirt, and promptly hit a locked gate on Little Deep Creek road.

We backtracked and found some other dirt that headed us in the direction of White Sulphur Springs. I think Mark and Scott-NT took pavement at some point, and me, LDF and Scott-DW had to open and close some gates on these farm roads,

No matter; we ro into White Sulf Spr.

and easily found the gas / convenience store where Mark & Scott were... it's not that big of a town.

Probably more dangerous than NYC, though with all the Meth...

Puts bear-scare into perspective, don't it? There were motorcyclists too:

Scarey!

Danger everywhere.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #5627
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Refueled,

fed and hydrated, we hopped onto Birch Creek road,

and headed back into the Helena NF.

Climbing up to Duck Creek Pass at 7600+ ft.

(two riders in this one if you can find 'em)

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #5628
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the summit,

we were treated to high winds,

and hazy views...

Direction we're headed:

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #5629
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,777
Yeh--- I think Francine was about to get blown away in this picture---super windy up there.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #5630
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,465
Your color correction was a little off on the guy wearing the a$$73$$ chaps...

Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #5631
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Coming down the mountain

from the road,

Looking off to the right, I spied this trench dug across the face of the next rise over -- It wasn't a road, not sure what it was... fire cut? water runoff protection? mining or logging?

in the valley, we picked up Duck Creek,

before heading back into the hills and some old mining country.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #5632
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Montana Bar

and Confederate Gulch,

I also spied some recent signs posted giving regulations on prospecting and panning in the area. Probably a lot more interest given the current gold prices.

We stopped for a break where we had a choice between two different routes I'd scoped out. There was the longer northern route, and the shorter vague track that cut through the NF.

We chose the shorter way...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #5633
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was past 3pm

so we'd checked the maps and scouted out a potential destination for the night. We were headed for the Smith River area which is big among paddlers.

Unbeknownst to us, we were entering a maze of private ranch land in a national forest. I had laid down a waypoint that said "Vague for 4 miles": this is what it looked like on the ground:

regarding the air quality: "if you were sitting around a campfire and the air was this smokey, you'd get up and move to the other side"

and regarding the route: "this is a PERFECTLY good road"

We'd opened and closed a couple of gates with no signs on them by this point, and clearly someone was ranching here:

sure enough, the road got really vague,

and then it would become more visible,

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #5634
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This was

the first gate that was posted, and there was a nice road sign beyond...

but wasn't locked...

we debated what to do, and decided to backtrack and try a go-around that Scott-NT identified on his 42" big-screen GPS.

Another perfectly good road:

Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #5635
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,777
More pictures me and Dingweeds took of the same area Dr. Rock is talking about.
I'm having trouble looking at my pictures and remembering where we were at.
But Dr. Rock has a much better memory than me.

Lots of gate opening and closing.

Our tassels got us through.

I wanna go back !!!!!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #5636
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

What happened next

probably shouldn't be repeated.

What I mean is... if anyone downloads our tracks for this day... the next section was in retrospect probably on private land.

Or at least public land appropriated by private individuals for their own use and at the exclusion of the public. Who knows... we just wanted to get to the next main road.

That said, at no point did we go through a gate that was posted "No Trespassing"...

and we were always on a trail that was marked on both out paper maps and the GPS's.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #5637
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

"This is bordering on bushwhacking"

we just kept looking down at our GPS's and following the line.

sometimes it even looked like something more than a cow had once passed there.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #5638
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Sucdessfully

down off of the ridge,

we found ourselves in huge fenced-in fields, with the trail fading fast.

and finally, crossed a real honest to goodness two-track. It wasn't the one we wanted, but the maps showed a short jog south, and then it would meet up with our original route.

Hot diggity!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #5639
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Of course,

after a mile, that ran into a LOCKED gated, so we headed back, and tried to follow the line on the GPS across the flats.

Totally bushwhacking again...

about a mile and a half later, we ran into another two-track, followed that north, where we quietly passed some ranch buildings and a residence, through an open gate and onto the Smith River - Camp Baker access road.

Glancing back on the open gate, I saw a sign that said "Private Property"

I just want to be clear -- at no time was our intention to trespass, and at no time did we cross anything posted, and according to our maps and GPS, we were always on public roads on public land.

I understand that in this part of the country it is incumbent on us to know the status of the land we're on -- private or public, but realistically, that's tough to do prior to departing, and even harder from the field.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #5640
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At Smith River

State Park camp (no fee), we all did what we do best -- tweaking...

Connecting...

Appetizing....

Ummm....

Burrito chair... sheesh. Time to upgrade, Big Dog.