User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #5656
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Thanks guys

I guess the crew felt sorry for me---carrying around this big chair all the time.
It was big and heavy-----didn't fold up and just didn't pack very well -------but it was all I had.
I bungied it to my little WR250R and it caught wind like a sail and slowed me down.

Everybody else had those nice fancy Kermit chairs all those BMW riders have.
I'd sit in those Kermits everytime someone got out of one---oh so comfy.

So----------today---------10-18-12

My UPS gal shows up again.

This nice lady has more stuff for me.
I check out the box and it's from Dingweeds, Dr. Rock and LDF.

They all went together and bought me a Kermit Chair.
With my name on it no less.

This gift of kindness really brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks so much guys------so nice of you.
I'm at a loss for words.
My little doggy JoJo likes it too---I think he thought it was for him.

I hope I don't embarrass Dr. Rock or LDF ---but Dingweeds hauled their tattered DR's to his house in
Tuscon for some much needed long term maintenance that has been impossible for them to get done.
And Dr. Rock and LDF bought not only Dingweeds a Kermit Chair---but his wife too.

It's nice to travel with so gracious people----thanks so much.

I wiped a tear from my eye as I sadly watched my UPS delivery person walk back to the truck.

BigDog

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #5657
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Doc & LDF are the best. I think they have single handedly supplied half the ADV community with Kermits
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #5658
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Great report and ride. I really sympathize with the closed road problem. I do use BLM maps to determine land ownership. New Mexico has all the 100k maps online. Utah has one giant map online, but it is useful and accurate as to places I have checked.

Not sure about other states.

My general philosophy is that minor un-numbered roads on private land are not going to work. I really irks me when a numbered forest road is blocked by a locked gate on private land. If a road is numbered and there is only a sign saying No Trespassing (no locked gate) I will generally go thru it.

We do a lot of trips like the Mobius Loop in the NM, AZ, UT, CO, NV, CA area. Here is a trip report of our epic Death Valley ride from a couple of years ago.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587761

But nearly all of us stay in motels. Only a couple of guys camp sometimes.
Don't want to politicize the best thread on ADV, but folks who use public lands and rights of ways should consider this in November.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ope...as-public-land

Outdoor Life is not a radical, left-wing publication.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #5659
SoosCreek
Angle of Repose...

Oddometer: 121
So Sad...

We just can't seem to keep the good old mass produced products and technology!

That chair fit you and the 250 so well!

Maybe you can sell on Craigslist as a historical memento of M10...

Good people all around and some great riding!

I think I need to make a call to UPS...

2011 West Coast Swing | 2012 Trekking Baja and Copper Canyon

SoosCreek screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 05:52 PM
SoosCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #5660
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Kermits

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
Doc & LDF are the best. I think they have single handedly supplied half the ADV community with Kermits

+ 1

Thanks again Doc & LDF!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #5661
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Kermit chairs, etcetera

What do you get for the guy who has everything and needs next to nothing? The minute Mark told us the story about how he loved and lost his Kermit chair, (had nothing to do with the UPS girl he loved and lost) Scott, Francine and I knew that it'd be the perfect gift and began conspiring to buy him one.

We could call it a retirement gift if we wanted, but the truth is we just knew it's something he really, really wanted. A grand-slam gift. How am I so sure of this? After putting in the order, I got an email from the Kermit people telling me that he'd ordered the exact same chair for himself, and that they just wanted to check with me if it was OK to cancel his order and not tell him.

Regarding the other chairs, small gifts, and humble tokens of appreciation; we consider ourselves indebted still to those who have shared our ride, or helped us out along the way, and remain eternally grateful.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #5662
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 4: Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012

Another Mobius 9/11. And a tuesday, no less; just like it was in '01. As I lay in the tent I conjure up where I was back then. I realize that something had transitioned over the past few years. Memories which used to unavoidably bubble to the surface on Sept. 11th now have to be gently stirred up. I've been around long enough to have experienced this phenomenon with other unpleasant episodes in my life. Not as much "time healing wounds", as it just makes the memories a bit fuzzy around the edges.

I wonder, is "keeping the memory alive" always such a good thing? It certainly is when remembering the badness decreases the likelihood that it will happen again. But sometimes I question if that's really the case here. Even so, completely forgetting that day and the subsequent weeks isn't actually an option, realistically. Probably the best reason I can give myself to consciously mark the events of 9/11 is to honor the memory of all those whose lives were suddenly cut short, and to make sure I take advantage of my health and good fortune to live and experience the world around me to the fullest.

I slide out of the sleeping bag, and unzip the tent. The smoke and haze has completely blown off, and we're treated to this:

it's gonna be a great day.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #5663
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On tap

for today's route would be meandering around through the Lewis and Clark NF (hopefully with minimal reroutes), fuel at Stanford, MT, and then making our way towards the Missouri Breaks National Wild Scenic River and Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge area.

At Winifred, if we made it that far, we'd have to carry extra fuel to make it through the Missouri Breaks area.

We made our morning coffee and oatmeal,

it was brisk.

It would be Scott - Northern Traveller's last day riding with us on M10, and so we had graduation ceremony where he received a pin, proceeds of which go to the UFA Widows & Children's Fund. Fitting, given the day, as well as Scott's service in Iraq. It was an honor to have shared some time on the trail with you, sir.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #5664
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

First section

out of the campground had us on some wide, but loose gravel,

but soon we'd be gaining elevation.

The roads were quite dusty, until we got into the woods, where it improved a little,

Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #5665
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The morning's drama

Up around 7600ft, near Iron Mountain, there was a tasty-looking ATV track which paralleled the main road for a few miles. I'd routed to go on the ATV track; it was at a higher elevation, on the ridge, and I though it'd have better views.

Problem is, it would be an easy turn to blow by. I was riding sweep, and had let a gap form in the curves to let the dust settle, and when I got to the ATV turn-off, there was nobody there. I sat there for a minute and listened... thought I saw some dust on the main road, and decided that they'd have waited for me here if they were going to turn.

So I stayed on the main road, and pretty much hauled the mail for 5 or six miles, until I got to a spot which was a really nice view, and I though, hmmm... I can't believe they wouldn't have stopped here to gather up the group and take some pitchers. And I second-guessed my presumption that they'd taken the main road. Maybe they're now behind me, having taken the ATV trail.

So I headed back to where it rejoined the main road...

I started riding slower, because I didn't want to have a head-on with one of my own crew who might be pushing the pace to try and find me. When I got to the ATV trail, I figured I'd run it in reverse, and if I made it back to the main road without running into them, then my original presumption was right... (and it was a good track )

Sure enough, they'd missed the turn, and now I was like 15 miles behind them. Once back on the main road, it was just a matter of time before I caught up with them, or they missed me and sent someone back. I wasn't too worried. Meanwhile, I think Francine was a little freaked... mostly 'cause where they'd stopped she'd seen a bear.

I was taking my time, enjoying the sights:

feeling a little sorry for myself that the crew had tried to ditch me,

Sure was a nice day, anyway.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #5666
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Eventually,

Scott-DW came back looking for me,

so at least I knew I was missed. And we carried on. I think that was the only time we had an issue keeping the group on track. Pretty good for 2k+ miles and two weeks.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #5667
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Just before

we left the NF, we stopped to take some pitchers at Belt Creek,

not sure if that's a cave or a mine up there;

Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #5668
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Logging creek road

was our Lewis and Clark exit strategy... BTW, I have a photo of the map Lewis & Clark made after their trip... probably would have been useful to decipher land use boundaries on our trip.

(Click on image to open a full-scale version -- zoom in, it's fascinating )

We're near the Judith River on their map.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #5669
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Too soon,

we hit Hwy 89, which is where Northern Traveler Scott bade us farewell... This photo is significant because I think it's the only time he didn't have a smile on his face!

We were down to 4 for a couple days. After a short two mile, but pretty paved section,

we were back in the NF:

Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #5670
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were

supposed to make this right hand turn, but we could see Scott & Mark way ahead -- we thought maybe they knew something we didn't about the road being closed...

I think they were just using the men's room.

They'd followed Galena Creek, but we were turning onto a smaller road that followed Dry Fork Belt Creek...

Note: there are "No Trespassing" signs literally everywhere.

Past Barker cemetery,

26 years old. Imagine that.