User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #5686
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I was starting to see

topo features on the GPS called "Coulee's"... Black Butte Coulee, Coyote Coulee... which made me laugh because it's pronounced the same as the plural of Italian & Spanish word Culo. I know... adolescent humor.

A coulee is just a drainage area... bigger than a riffle, I guess. Also bigger than a gully. More like a gulch, kind of a prelude to the larger "breaks" as in Missouri breaks. But apparently not as big as a full blown canyon.

We were reaching the northern terminus of Bear Springs Bench (like a flat, but more narrow)... and coming up on the Judith River...

(skip to 1:45)

We stopped to take in the view.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 09:36 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #5687
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

That's the

Anderson Bridge down there.

Sun was starting to get low, it was already 5:30,

We had to start thinking about where we were going to sleep tonight. But we're in no rush, and take a few minutes to enjoy:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #5688
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Getting down

involved some switchbacks,

nothing too technical. Once across the river, that put us striking distance to Winifred where we'd seen an RV park listed in town. We found it, but it was unattended.

We helped ourselves to a tent site, and found a picnic table, and eventually a lady came by to dump some trash, and then an older man came along to take our money and fix the toilet. Interesting character... kind of grumpy, but Big Dog, he's the charm machine.

I had to warn him about this guy though: "That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on... that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide; it's a killer!"

We got nice hot showers, and cooked some brats for dinner.

no rabbit stew.

We sat around the Campfire Substitute™ and watched the rush hour traffic saunter by...

and ate some grizzlies for dessert.

Not a bad day at all.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #5689
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

There's always next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
This is making the rapid approach of winter in these parts so difficult to bear ... Outstanding pioneering work, ya'll.
Tentative M11 dates: April 5-21 2013
Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #5690
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 4 stats

.GPX track file available for download here.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #5691
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,324

Enjoying this !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #5692
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
old structures, barns, cabins, homesteads... it's interesting; they don't seem to be preserved per se, but they're not torn down either. It doesn't seem to be neglect, like some of the junkyardesque landscaping we've seen in other places. It's almost like they're kept for nostalgic reasons, and allowed to fall to entropy at their own pace. I'd love to hear some local perspective .

Nostalgia is a good word to describe this. One of the issues discussed in Ag communities is the loss of population. Usually an older farmer and his wife pass away and the farm is sold or leased by thier decendents to another farmer in the area and there is no real pressure to get rid of the old buildings. The dry climate allows the buildings to last a long time even without any maintenanace work. Most of the steel has been sold to recyclers, which helps clean up the appearence.

My great-grandfathers place has stood empty since his passing in the 60's. He had 8 daughters and no sons; and 6 of them stayed in the area, married and had children. All the son-in-laws had started thier own farms before marriage, so there was no reason to move into the old house. A number of us visit the old farmstead from time to time. Eventually the house and barn will get so bad that it will be burned down.

-David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT

MTrider16 screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 04:18 PM
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #5693
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Tentative M11 dates: April 5-21 2013
Start in Denver or Tucson?
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #5694
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Start in Denver or Tucson?
Tucson
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #5695
stiktime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Open Enrollment ?? I,m in !!!
stiktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #5696
Henry James
Looking for Adventure

Oddometer: 350
M11

Tentative route?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #5697
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiktime View Post
Open Enrollment ?? I,m in !!!
Keep posted here... Planning will start in earnest once I'm caught up with the RR, and the holidays are past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry James View Post
Tentative route?
Still undecided. Considering Copper Canyon, otherwise a domestic Southwest loop. Gathering intel regarding Mexican safety. We'll see.

Almost done with the next day's batch of photos.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #5698
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,840
Sorry I haven't posted lately---------been out riding a lot.

I'll catch up with some more Judith river crossing pictures and into camp in Winnifred.

And soon we were to get a huge surprise as we started to drop down into a valley and would cross the Judith river.
I think we had gotten gas and stocked up on goodies in Stanford, Montana.

The terrain had been flat before this-----and like I said ----we didn't expect this beautiful drop into the river basin.

Bridge over the Judith river on Judith river road.

On in to Winifred

We found a campground right in town-----and the grass was suspicicously green as I looked for lawn sprinklers ??????
Nothing like having a lawn sprinkler coming on in the middle of the night ---------under your tent !!!!!!

As soon as we got our tents up----we got a homesteader.

Yeh---and he headed right for the goodies.
He'd done this before I'm sure.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #5699
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,840
I'll let Dr. Rock take you to the next day first.

But I got to tell you------we all thought we rode the best dual-sport adventure road in all of North America.
Maybe it was the moment----I don't know---but we were all laughing in our helmets riding this roller coaster dirt road.
it was nothing but dirt and the views were fantastic----lot's of hill climbs.

Coming up. I'll try to pull together some video of it-------I know Dr. Rock has some for sure.

BigDog
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #5700
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 5: Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012

Indeed. Yesterday had set us up to dive right into the Missouri Breaks area. Didn't really know what to expect. From GoogleEarth it looked like a huge expanse of watershed, eroded fern-like gullies, but minimal vegetation. Dry, like badlands. Roads were either dirt, or labeled 4-WD. Nothing paved, no towns, fuel or structures for miles. I was intrigued. I'd never read about it in any ride report. It could be awesome, or it could totally suck.

Game on.

We started our morning with a bit of luxury -- a cafe breakfast.

Friendly service by an overworked gal who was covering orders, kitchen, prep, cash register... essentially running the whole place. At 7am it had filled with local men jawing over a cups of coffee.

We started on some straight gravel like how we ended yesterday --

but in the distance we started to get a sense that something was going on with the topography.