Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #601
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
A hearty dinner

where we met another friendly waitress whose name we can't remember
(we were drinkin' -- see a pattern here?)

and again, saw another bizarre vehicle. This one claims to be able to drive 10,000 miles on 30 gallons of H2O.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #602
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 9: Sunday Sept. 14, 2008

From Moab, through Green River, UT, to somewhere in the San Rafael Swell.

The way Sam has the TAT laid out, Moab isn't a stopping point. Which makes sense, as the Green River to Salina, UT route takes a full day, and passes through some inhospitable terrain known as the San Rafael Swell.

" The San Rafael Swell is a wonderfully unique kidney shaped geographical feature in southeastern Utah on the Colorado Plateau. The "Swell" is about 50 miles in length and 30 miles in width. Only one paved road crosses through the approximately 600,000 acres, Interstate 70."

I had a feeling that Green River would be too short, and Salina was going to be too ambitious a destination, which meant that we might be cowboy camping somewhere in the Swell.

"Part of swell has geographic features that resembles Mars. The Mars Society decided to set up the Mars Desert Research Station in the area as a Mars analog for such reasons."

I had virtually pre-run this section numerous times using the satellite images from GoogleEarth, and having read many other TAT ride-reports, I knew that it would be tough riding, with many people getting lost, or bailing entirely and cutting across on I-70.

"Although surrounded by the communities of Price, Green River, Hanksville, Ferron, Castle Dale, and Huntington, the Swell itself does not support permanent residents."

I had loaded meticulous waypoints, and even generated my own "tracks" by sketching out the route on GoogleEarth converting it, and then dumping it into the GPS, so I felt pretty confident that I could navigate the section.

It wasn't easy.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #603
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Adventure bunny

was bright eye'd and bushy tailed, ready for a new adventure and a new day.

LDF... not so much.

So it was almost 9am when we pulled out of the "Up the Creek" campground, which we highly recommend as an economical way to stay right in the center of Moab. Clean hot showers, quiet, centrally located.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #604
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Riding out of Moab

you come THIS close to Arches Nat. Park...

But for some reason, after riding the WRT the day before, and seeing the campers pulling in to the entrance, and the tourists taking photos in front of the sign,

we decided to take a pass.

I'm sure we'll come back and visit another time. But for now, we just wanted to dive back into the remote, and make some TAT progress.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #605
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

That road down there

is part of the TAT, but we couldn't figure out how to get onto it... I think it's been blocked off. Anyway, it's not that much, just a few miles.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #606
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,314
Awesome RR!
When you were in Utah I was in NYC. Statdawg took me on a walking tour of the city and we stopped outside your building.
Annette stayed with us when she was in California.
Cheers!
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #607
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Best pic: You can see the smile under the helmet and goggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #608
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 547
Thumb I'm subscribed!

What a great read and the photos ain't so shabby either.

Question...Are the DRZ's E or S models and...was signifigant re-jetting required for the higher bits?

Can't wait for the next installment...Cheers...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #609
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
Awesome RR!
When you were in Utah I was in NYC. Statdawg took me on a walking tour of the city and we stopped outside your building.
Annette stayed with us when she was in California.
Cheers!
Thanks for reading along. Sorry we missed you. Anytime you're back this way, I hope you can stop by.

d
Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #610
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Br
What a great read and the photos ain't so shabby either.

Question...Are the DRZ's E or S models and...was signifigant re-jetting required for the higher bits?

Can't wait for the next installment...Cheers...Steve
The DRZ's are both 2004 S models. Both bikes have 3X3 mods, and the yellow one has a dynojet needle and a full Yosh exhaust. Significant rejetting... no. Required... no.

That said, there were issues with both bike's carburetors. Honeybee had a size 52(!) pilot jet instead of a size 25. I only discovered that at the end when I compared the pilot jets from both bikes. I think I had swapped a 140 main in there which I had dropped down from 145 for Mobius-I in anticipation of the higher elevations. The Blueberry one had some jet clogging issues which came to a head on day 11.

Since returning, I'm determined to get the jetting and carburetion dead right on both bikes. I've ordered new gaskets, o-rings, JD jet / needle kits... I've read everything I could on ThumperTalk, and solicited the expert advice of Eddie Sisneros AKA burned. These are his recommendations:

For 4000-8000 ft. Temp 70-90's, low humidity:
Quote:
Yellow bike 2004 DRZ "S" (3X3 & Full Yosh)
red needle, 4th clip
150 main
22.5 pilot
non-Kientech extended fuel screw (not stock either... don't know who made it)

Quote:
Blue bike 2004 DRZ "S" (3X3 & Stock exhaust)
Red needle, 4th clip
145 main
22.5 pilot
Kientech fuel screw

Both bikes ran, just not very well in all circumstances. Blueberry stalled at high elevations, and Honeybee overheated at lower ones. I think making the above changes will probably work better at all altitudes. And if not, I'll know what I'm starting with; I carry spare / alternate jets, so I'll be able to carb-tune on the trail with minimal effort.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #611
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next section

took us back into Canyonlands, but instead of heading south towards the WRT, we got on Gemini bridges rd, and headed north

It starts with a fun little climb,

that yields this classic TAT view,

before leaving civilization for the canyons.

There's a nice sandy hill climb that gave some of Vinny the Snake's guys a hard time with their vintage bikes. I meant to warn her about it, but before I could,

She was already motoring up :

Looking back down:

Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #612
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Barely being able to

toe-touch has its disadvantages when you get stuck.

I think she fell getting off the bike here. The riding clearly was getting more and more technical.

I could never tell what sections she would take on, and which she would balk at. This one she attacked:

this one too.

In retrospect, I think she was pushing a bit beyond her comfort zone. I don't recall her dropping the bike, but a frustration storm was starting to brew between the physical , ie. cumulative fatigue, (especially from yesterday), the sun, the heat,

constantly battling dehydration,

in addition, the mental aspects; anxiety from the remoteness, the unknown (for her -- not knowing how far difficult sections / canyon washes would last -- I had a better sense of the route having studied it and loaded the GPS's).

I underestimated the stressors that were starting to affect her. From where I was sitting, she seemed to be doing fine.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #613
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The rest of the way

to Green River

cut through some desert

hit a little pavement,

some straight, fast gravel,

and the red sand

of southeast UT,

gave way to the greyer dirt

of the San Rafael swell that lay out before us.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #614
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Wide open spaces

along these power lines,

I know why they call this "Ten Mile Rd."

We rode past some big machinery

the landscape was lunar,

and even though we were making good time,

the sun,

and the heat,

and the dry wind,

were sapping our energy.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #615
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Green River, UT

High noon.

Doesn't look so green to me

We decided to stop for gas, water, groceries, and something we almost never do... lunch.

Being as it was Sunday,

Most everything was closed.

Briefly thought about finding a motel

but decided we still had a few miles left in us, and could probably do better on the accommodations on our own out there in the Swell.

We succeeded in finding gas, filled the tanks, and in case we got lost, or had to reroute, an extra 3.5L (2X750cc fuel bottles I carry behind my panniers, and one of the 2L Sweetcheeks bottles).

We also found where the cool kids hang out after church and had lunch there.

Why a fish sandwich out in the desert? We certainly got some looks. Especially when we had to ASK what "fry sauce" is. As IF. You don't know? Oh my GAWD...

Your choices are Ranch, Fry Sauce, or (scoff) Ketchup. We'd never heard of fry sauce. Apparently it's quite regional. Only one other place we stopped at in UT offered it. It's certainly yummy,... it seems to be a mix of mayonnaise and ketchup at about a 1:1 ratio.

But if those kids think that anyone who doesn't know what fry sauce is must be hicks, I think they've got to get out more.

There's some kind of watermelon theme / vibe going on in Green River.

They were having a Watermelon festival the next week (I think), and a Watermelon Pagent to pick the Watermelon Queen. There was a poster with photos of all the young women who were this year's Watermelon Queen contestants. Oh, the innuendos and double entendres going through my head.

But in the end, I couldn't even bring myself to take a photo of the poster...
It would have been a little too Aqualung.

Instead, I treated myself to this:

After lunch, we filled up our water (10L) from the bathroom out back,

and headed back out into the wild.