Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #6166
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Thanks for the reply. I thought there was a post or link at the beginning of this thread. Maybe I'm not remebering correctly. I still shoot Jpeg, but now I'll go to RAW. Memory cards are cheap now. I think I started using JPEG when a 1 gb microdrive was a small forturne. I always wanted a M3 or M4 back when I was in college, but I bought a 4x5 instead.

Ryan
former rides:
98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #6167
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,519
My mistake

We were still in Arapaho N.F., not Routt yet. Somewhere between Granny's nightcap, and Granny's nipple. Headed down towards CO Route 40.

We had some grand views on the backside,

The riding was easy on the ribs , and easy on the eyes.

We'd started the morning with 5 riders, and soon we'd be down to just 3.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #6168
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On this straight,

flat section, Big Dog waved us to stop for a break.

He said he'd be taking off when we hit pavement up ahead, and wanted to take a group pitcher of us all jumping. So we tried to set it up, but gravity was pretty strong, and we didn't get too far off the ground.

I cropped off our feet, so you can use your imaginations. He'd ride with us on pavement over Rabbit Ear's pass (see 'em there in the center of the photo?)

We were all sad. But then again, we were also riding motorcycles, so how sad can you be, really?

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #6169
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were headed

Into the Routt N.F. for sure this time. Meandering around the twisty forest service roads towards Toponas, CO for our next fuel stop.

It was another pretty section,

despite the haze.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #6170
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,468
The colors!
Now thats what I'm talkin about !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #6171
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
This pic sums up the trip!!......WaaaaaaHoooooooo!!!!

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #6172
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we climbed in elevation,

someone routed us onto this trail,

and the riding became a bit more technical,

but nothing too dramatic. Some washouts and such,

I stopped to take a leak, and when I turned around, my bike was doing a slow fall:

The kickstand had found its way right into a jackalope hole!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #6173
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Like Goldilocks,

and the three bears,

this trail wasn't too hard,

or too easy...

it was juuuussst right.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #6174
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little

back and forth on pavement to get gas at Toponas took us past Toponas Rock:

it really sticks out like a sore thumb, don'tcha think?

At Toponas we stopped at the nastiest messy filthy general store / gas station. It was like a store run by hoarders. And they were butchering an elk. Now, I know a little something about handling meat, and I was absolutely horrified.

Somehow we managed to pick up some provisions (not elk!), and thankfully they had gas, so we were back on our way.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #6175
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Next up,

Along Rock Creek,

unfortunately I think some beavers had dammed a side creek, and the road was good and flooded.

A cowboy was herding some cattle across upstream,

but that looked like it'd be a pretty good slog for us, and besides, the go-around was pretty painless, so we doubled back.

This was a road I wasn't sure about from the maps... it wasn't listed, but I could see it on GoogleEarth. I had laid down a waypoint to check it out as an option heading south, and it was really nice.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #6176
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were following a ridge,

This sign gave us pause, but it was pretty clearly stating to stay on the road. Of course, that didn't mean we couldn't get yelled or shot at.

We were almost to Radium where there was a bridge across the Colorado River, and a campground.

That would be our destination for the night.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #6177
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Descending off the ridge,

We were able to see the campground, and it wasn't particularly appealing -- a flat grassy area with some parked RV's near a railroad crossing.

So we scouted out some alternatives while we were still at elevation. We figured we could ride down for water if we needed it, but it would be way cooler to stay up here with the views. The first site we saw was tucked into a small side canyon,

It was OK, but no views, and right off the road, no real flat spots for tents... not ideal. Our next options was a winner.

An empty hunter's camp, perched high above the river and the railroad tracks, plenty of firewood and flat spots for tents.

This was gonna be a winner! Except for the bones.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 10:43 PM
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #6178
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Teaser!

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #6179
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,868
Hey!

I'm finally getting caught up on my ADV reading and am happy to see the progress of this Ride Report.

I've ridden through where you are now. I recognize the Stage Coach stop and the stream crossing. It's part of the CDT right?

Anyway.
Good to see the Mobius is still "On".

Be well Dr. and LDF.

Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #6180
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
[QUOTE=DR. Rock;20646055] The S95 LDF carries has some dust on the sensor now, the Achilles heel of the compact zoom. I'm not sure it's worth it to have it serviced.

The movement of the zoom sucks air & dust into the camera and onto the sensor.
I had dust on the sensor of my Panasonic ZS-3. I found that it was easy to take the cover off and clean the sensor. You have to work slow and methodical.
Richard

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote