User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #691
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
It gets chilly

quickly once the sun goes down. We walked back to town to find some food. Passed this along the way. What the heck is going on in there that requires four signs to keep people out?

Main street was pretty deserted,

the old theater looked like it was being renovated,

The only action was a couple of kids (10-12y/o) who were selling peaches from their ATV for 50 cents / pound. We bought some. mmmmm.

We found Bullies,

just as it was about to close, we got our orders in.

The food was delicious (note fry sauce):

but it had been a long day, we were dead tired, skipped the music show. This was just too tempting:

The day's stats:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #692
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 11: Tuesday Sept. 16 2008

From Monroe, UT to Bryce canyon N.P., and then Zion N.P.

Well, we were off the TAT, and I was curious to see how the routes I had put together stacked up against Sam's. People back in NYC had highly recommended that we see Bryce and Zion, and I had worked hard on GoogleEarth and with the Garmin maps to try to keep us off the paved and populated routes.

I did ok getting us the rest of the way through Fishlake N.F., however National Parks are a different story. In those, the roads that look cool, are all "service" roads, and civilian vehicles are prohibited. In addition, I had planned one night at Bryce, and another at Zion, but we decided to just press on to Zion this day, (we weren't quite ready for so much civilization) so as to spend more time at the north rim, and also to try to get to Flagstaff friday morning, rather than riding a long day and getting there friday night.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #693
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The morning was crisp

We were up early,

had some coffee and oatmeal, tightened up some nuts and bolts,

geared up, and were on our way.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #694
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We climbed

on a narrow paved road into a very cool canyon.

I would LOVE to have had my Terra Mostro with the motard wheels for this section.

LDF was getting some lean angle, even with the knobbies...

and this was before taking the Total Control course.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #695
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Didn't take long

before we were back on dirt, and the fall colors were really starting to show:

We climbed even higher, and started to get some nice views.

after the last few days, the terrain was just right.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #696
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were starting

to get nice view of the valley from the mountains on the other side from where we were the day before.

up and up and up...

not as jaw-droppingly spectacular

as the White Rim Trail,

or the high peaks of Colorado,

but pretty nice nonetheless.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #697
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Across on the next ridge,

we could see recent evidence of a forest fire.

looking down into the next valley:

we passed a reservoir,

it was nice to see a body of water again after so long in the desert.

The area had active grazing, and as we were stopped at a rest room, a cowgirl pulled up on her ATV to check the map, said "hi" and took off in the same direction we were heading.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #698
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

This area of UT

has TONS of ATV trails and forest service roads. I took a photo of the map, just in case we got lost as not all the trails were appearing on my GPS topo maps. Plus, the map had them graded by difficulty.

I'm really looking forward to returning to the area to ride some more. I think you can go from Glenwood to Kingston all on dirt.

We also read this, about the forest fire.

8 years ago. It sure takes a long time for full recovery.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #699
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We continued south

riding through Fishlake,

and the light penetrating through the forest,

even with the dust, was magical. And a stark contrast to the fire-damaged areas.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #700
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The aspens

were just starting to turn.

and at least for me, some of the things I worry about on these trips was starting to lessen. We were making good time, my routing wasn't completely retarded, the terrain wasn't insanely difficult, the bikes seemed like they'd make it, we were ahead of schedule, etc.

We were starting to slip out of "adventure"-mode, and enter a little of "tourist/sight-seeing" mode, if that makes sense.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #701
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The views opened up

and I started taking "find Francine" photos again:

(the tiny speck about dead-center of the photo above, and he large object with the rabbit on her back in the photo below)

Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #702
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The Otter Creek reservoir

came into view.

and we slowly started to descend.

Find Francine:

Even though

we were slowly losing altitude,

it was clear we were following a ridge.

Because at a certain point,

we had to navigate some pretty steep switch-backs to really get down.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #703
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Soon

we were back in the heat, and dry desert, sagebrush, pinion pine, juniper, and canyons.

and along with that, softer, sandier terrain...

this was my only get-off the whole two weeks. It was pure lack of attention. I wasn't going that fast, although when I landed I did a little sumersault and cracked a buckle on my camelbak.

basically, I let my guard down, and the sand up and bit me.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #704
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

LDF meanwhile,

was motoring through the stuff like a champ,

and when we did eventually get to pavement, showed appreciative approval of the entire morning's route:

Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #705
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Pavement, yeah...

but really cool stuff:

It looked like there was a layer of concrete supporting these cliffs:

it was a guilty pleasure to see this cool stuff while riding pavement.

Baaaa.