User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #736
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I am at a loss for words

Suburban camping. It's the worst of both worlds. Manicured lawns, without the grass. (It was actually a half-inch of gravel over concrete slab (!) ).

A suburban vibe, without an urban center for miles. Neighbors right next to you. Whatever. We were tired, and hungry.

There was a Eastern European family camping right next to us. I think this was their permanent residence.

We had bought a pack of hot dogs and buns (smooshed) at some point in the previous day or two, and made a campfire

and started cooking them. A single guy pulls up next to our site on the other side. Gets out of his SUV, sits on the picnic table, and opens a beer. . OK, we're either gonna be freaked out by this guy all night, or introduce ourselves and find out that he's not a threat.

Meet "East German Guy whose name we couldn't understand or pronounce and met about six more times over the next three days even though he wasn't stalking us":

Turns out he's a super sweet guy, who rides horses (and motorcycles) in rural Germany. He had seen John Wayne movies when he was a kid growing up, and had since then harbored a dream to one day come to America, and ride horses in the Wild West, like John Wayne. So he saved his money, booked a flight, rented a car, and reserved a week at a dude ranch somewhere in Colorado. On the flight over, all his gear and luggage was lost, and he had a hell of a time (and some good stories) making due until it caught up with him. Unfortunately, his misfortune cut into his budget a little, so he was trying his best to car-camp, and having a difficult time even at that since for some reason campgrounds weren't too keen on a single man sleeping in his car with no appreciable luggage.

Can't imagine why.

We ate hot dogs, drank beer and chatted until late at night. Happy trails, cowboy.

Our stats for the day:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 11:44 AM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #737
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 12: Wed. Sept. 17, 2008

From Zion Nat. Park to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #738
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our new East German friend

was up early as well.

He and Francine were chatting while I was trying to get the wheels rolling.

My goal for the day was to ride backroads through Kaibab N.F., get to the North Rim early enough to secure a campsite at the N.P. campground, and then ditch our gear and take what was supposed to be a great 4X4 road out to Point Sublime.

I don't know why I had this desire. I rarely have the day's destination picked out before lunch. I guess I was hoping that being at Point Sublime would be some kind of religious experience. Or at a minimum, sublime.

Of course, the best laid plans...

Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #739
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Those of you

(if there's anyone left awake) , who are paying attention, may have noticed that I haven't mentioned Blueberry's stalling / dying with any above-idle throttle issue. That's 'cause it hadn't been an issue. Maybe once a day. If that.

Well, as we climbed towards Zion N.P.

but well before we got to the twisty, steep parts where it would have been both a hassle, and possibly dangerous to stop and work on the bike,

Blueberry (thoughtfully) sputtered to a stop, and wouldn't start up again.

Look who stopped to try to help (he is actually a mechanic, it turns out, in the (former) East Germany).

I told him "Don't worry, I've got tools, and I think I know what the problem is." and in his broken english, he helped troubleshoot carburetor issues, and then at my insistence, carried on his way to live out his John Wayne cowboy dreams.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #740
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Start simple

Maybe the gas tank just has a vapor lock from the tank bag smashing the vent tube? That's happened before...

But not this time. So, off with the gas tank:

Hmmm... well, it's something to do with the carburetor,

either the diaphragm on the top is roached and the slide is sticking, or the main jet has been intermittently fouled, and now it's really plugged up.

I've got extra jets,

but the top of the carb is SO much easier to get to, let's check that first.

[just so you don't think I'm a complete fool for thinking there might be a problem with the diaphragm, when we got the bike from Rick, he described it as "hard starting" and I found that it also took a really long time to return to idle which he would never have noticed since he rides with the throttle pretty much pinned full-time. . At that time, when I checked to see if any vacuum hoses or anything was pinched, I found that the diaphragm was a little scrunched under the bell (not quite folded, but not entirely seated properly either), and when I smoothed it out and reassembled it, those problems disappeared.]

So...

no joy. It must be the jets. Which makes sense since I had made the float bowl seal with RTV silicone 12 days previously. Looks like I'll be making that gasket again.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-22-2008 at 02:37 PM
Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #741
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
LOL. She doesn't need a speech bubble to tell us that she is so, like, super-psyched about camping here.

I'm trying to get my missus to sign up at ADVrider just so that she can read this thread, and see that one day, she could put that new learner's permit to great use. Great stuff.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #742
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Allright

Let's get that float bowl off.

and what do we 'ave 'ere? A massive goober of black RTV sucking up into the main jet!

I carefully pulled it out. I felt like I was performing a saddle embolectomy. Quite gratifying. (oh, by the way, be careful with that link, it's kind of gory).

There it is on my finger:

The gasket was a mess,

and while LDF cleaned that out, I pulled the pilot jet and main jet assembly.

re-made the gasket with more RTV (the rubber was still stiff and dry), buttoned everything up, and we were back on our way:

Only two problems, 1. it was now 10:40am, (almost a 2 hour job). and 2. LDF's brake light wasn't working.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #743
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
I'm trying to get my missus to sign up at ADVrider just so that she can read this thread, and see that one day, she could put that new learner's permit to great use. Great stuff.
You know, she doesn't have to sign up to read the thread... But maybe that's part of your plan too...
Old 10-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #744
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 704
great RR. staying tuned...
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #745
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
(if there's anyone left awake) , who are paying attention.....
Waiting on every post here, for one of the best and most entertaining ride reports I've ever seen.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #746
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we stop at a gas station

for gas, and to see if they have a new brake light. I pull the old one to match it, and can clearly see the filament is burned out.

Of course they don't have one.

So we stop at another place, and they do. I put it in, and it doesn't work.

And we just want to get moving... half the day is gone, and we've traveled about 7 miles, and I'm not feeling very sublime. I'm feeling hot. Maybe hung over and sore also, and I want to feel sublime in a bad way.

I start troubleshooting the brake light, and find that BOTH her rear switch, and front switch are mal-adjusted / bent / stuck, etc. and when I get that all straightened out, it works fine.

So we take off again, now riding through Zion in the opposite direction, and I decide that I'll try to take photos again, since it IS an amazing ride, and maybe that will help me get more sublime.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #747
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Having reviewed

the previous evening, the photos I took riding westward through Zion, I felt that one of the reasons I was unable to capture what it looked like was that the camera pans out to the max wide-angle setting by default, and looming cliffs look much further away than they really were.

So I decided to zoom in a little, and try to capture the ride through Zion west-east as best I could. I took 46 photos over the next 34 minutes, and when I get home from work in a little bit, I'll put them up, and you can ride along. If you've never been, consider this a preview.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #748
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 PM   #749
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,292
I knew it was the ATV gasket. Look where you last worked.
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #750
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
Look where you last worked.
Or, as we say in medicine, "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."

Hey, I was on vacation, allow me my fantasy that i could possibly have saved more than the 3 minutes it took to check the diaphragm / slide action.

On the other hand, Occam's razor was severely violated in that the stalling and the brake light were two completely unrelated problems.