User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #811
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Frost

Even though we saw snow in CO, it was this morning in Arizona where we woke up to frost:

Nothing some hot coffee and oatmeal can't fix.

The Wolfman bags had some cool paisley frost pattern on them:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #812
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A slow start

We waited for the sunlight to make it to our campsite so we could melt and dry our gear.

Another biker, Bud, came over and we chatted for awhile.

But I don't think either Bud, nor the cold was why it took until 10am to get rolling. I think we were just tired.

The plan for the day was pretty open. Our options were to slab on Hwy 89 down to Flagstaff, or insert varying amounts of diversion by getting out of Kaibab N.F. and/or cutting through the Navajo Indian Reservation on dirt. We'd play it by ear.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #813
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Heading out

of Pleasant valley.

through some burn

and picked up a nice and easy forest service road.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #814
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was lovely

crisp morning, good piney smells,

I'd like to come back to the North Rim and explore some more of these roads. (and ride all the way out to Point Sublime).

Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #815
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Hey, no worries, only a couple of more days to go. ... Anyway, what're you complaining about? You're retired! I should be so lucky.

I need to finish my report so that we can leave on another trip! No fun being retired if you just sit at home.

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #816
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The only way around

this big hole as far as I can tell is via pavement to Lee's Ferry: 89-Alt.

6% downhill grade, next 3 miles.

I think those are the Vermilion Cliffs up ahead:

Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #817
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little Haiku:

They stop for pictures,
but I will photograph them.
Japanese tourists.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #818
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

89-alt

is a pretty cool road.

after dropping down back into the desert,

(loose gravel? oh my! )

it goes northeast, following the Vermilion cliffs to the left

and the grand canyon to the right.

Once you're off the Kaibab plateau though, it straightens out and, while beautiful, is pretty boring to drive.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #819
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Grand canyon

over there:

Vermilion cliffs, over there:

canyon,

cliffs.

And then Lee's Ferry.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #820
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Where we stopped

was technically not Lee's Ferry, that's down by the river. This was Cliff Dweller's Lodge.

Gas, pee, ice cream treat, and back on our way.

I thought this was funny. I know there's fishing around there, but if you didn't know that, then

Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #821
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Flagstaff now 130 miles away

We'll see what we can do about that .

Some cool rock formations,

A little "Thelma & Louise" flashback:

Still a few miles off:

Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #822
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Colorado river

almost there,

all right. The Navaho bridge:

And now we're on the other side. These are called the "Chocolate Cliffs" and are part of the Grand Staircase:

Looking back over the Grand Canyon are the Vermilion cliffs:

Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #823
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We confer

what next? We could pick up Hwy 89 and take pavement all the way down to Flagstaff and be there by evening, or we could try to ride some dirt, stay off 89 as much as possible, and camp near Sunset Crater which would enable us to get to Flagstaff friday morning.

Hmmm...

Well, both the dirt road I had picked out, and groceries were up in Page, AZ, (20 miles in the wrong direction from Flagstaff) so that's where we headed.

I'm glad we did, for two reasons:

First, it's a beautiful drive,

and second (I wanna see a rodeo) it confirmed

that sharing the road with trucks and cars

is nowhere near as much fun

as the two of us

riding alone together

on some godforsaken dirt road

Old 10-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #824
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I realize

it doesn't look like

there's much traffic,

but all it takes is one semi-truck to make us want to get off the highway ASAP.

The Navajo Generating Station (coal) is visible up ahead.

Those smokestacks are the 3rd tallest structures in Arizona. Nearby is the Glen Canyon Dam which created Lake Powell.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #825
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our interest in Page, AZ

was only for gas,

groceries, and

the northern end of BIA-20, AKA CopperMine Rd.

Which cut through the Navajo Indian Reservation to meet up with Hwy 89 45 miles south.

A short while later we passed a sign that said,

"Pavement ends 8 miles. Gravel road continues for 37 miles"

or something to that effect. Perfect.