User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #856
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Hi Again!

Thanks for the report! You are one lucky fellow! Francine is great! My wife will ride any where with me, as long as it is on the Goldwing. She does not like the KLR and has no interest in riding her own bike.

Me and a cousin did Utah and 2/3 of Nevada on the TAT last July. I'm sure you are already aware of this, but the routing gets very difficult from Battle Mountain to McDemitt. I have used a GPS from Jellico, TN to McDermitt and the last 25 miles into McDermitt is by far the most difficult to follow the route. At about 15 miles out and after several hours of very little progress, we just routed to McDermitt on our own. But, I did not use GoogleEarth. Maybe, I need to learn how!

Thanks again for the Trip Report! Looking forward to the end of Mobius II and the beginning of Mobius III!

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 10-28-2008 at 07:56 AM
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #857
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
AS we're taking our helmets off, a figure walks over...

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #858
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
An SUV pulls in and parks.

AS we're taking our helmets off, a figure walks over...

Ohhh.. A cliffhanger...

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #859
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
No way.

Way! It's the East German John Wayne!

The dude had just come from visiting the South Rim, and was now finally headed for Colorado to live out his cowboy dream. He was glad to see that we weren't still stuck in Zion, and as I ducked inside to find something in a 2L bottle, he was showing LDF a photo from his wallet (girlfriend, I figured...turned out to be of his horse) and they continued chatting away.

We swapped emails, I gave him the link to this thread, he took photos of us (mostly of Francine... said it was to show to his girlfriend as inspiration to get her to ride... yeah, right... ... it's 'cause LDF's a babe ) and we split a couple of slices of bad pizza.

I called my bro and spoke with my sister-in-law, Lisa, and told her that we wanted to camp near Sunset Crater and we'd be at their place in the morning. She went on-line and helped me locate the campground at the state park, and said they'd been following our progress on Spot (cool) and saw that we had taken that road from Page through the Navajo Reservation and asked me how it was, 'cause they'd always wondered.

"Great, except for the dead guy. And it was really sandy. Listen, we'll tell you all about it, but for now we need to say our good-byes to our friend the East German John Wayne who's been stalking us for the last few days, and get on the road before it starts raining."

"Huh? Hmmm. OK. Yeah, it's a thunderstorm here. It sounds like you guys are having an adventure, aren't you. The kids are excited to see you pull up on the motorcycles. See you tomorrow."

We said our goodbyes to EGJW, and headed on south.

Happy trails, cowboy.

If you read this, join up ADVRider, and post some of your photos here.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #860
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

South to Wupatki

We could see the peaks of the San Francisco range up ahead.

As we got closer, we could see the rain... it didn't look like virga to me. Even though I didn't know that word... at the time I would have said, "That don't look like no air-rain to me."

Fortunately, we'd be heading off this way to the left (east)

away from the rain, for awhile at least, until we looped back west.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #861
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We got to the entrance

of Wupatki National Monument, flashed our National Parks Annual Pass at the sign, and drove on in.

It's supposedly a cool place with all kinds of old pueblo ruins

and if we were doing that kind of vacation

we'd probably stop and hike around, (instead of just stopping to put on our rain gear)

and read the educational information

and learn something interesting

about an ancient culture that lived in a desert environment

and why they chose to do so

when there were probably lots easier places to live.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #862
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

But we weren't

on that kind of vacation.

We were on another kind,

where riding motorcycles (even with knobbies) with no other traffic, over newly paved asphalt (especially after all that sand, and then the highway)

twisting through some beautiful countryside with the low light casting long shadows and changing colors around every turn is reason enough not to stop.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #863
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We'd pull upto an overlook

and wouldn't even get off the bikes.

Take a photo for posterior's sake,

and move along.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #864
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As we looped around

and headed west again, towards the Sunset Crater volcano, it would be sunny one minute,

and threatening rain the next.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #865
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

For future reference:

It says nothing, however about riding motorcycles on it.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #866
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The lava flows were cool

but again, no match for what we saw on our hike up Mt. Etna.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #867
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,799
Quote:
.....he was showing LDF a photo from his wallet (girlfriend, I figured...turned out to be of his horse) and they continued chatting away.

One and the same?
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #868
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
One and the same?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #869
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we pull into Bonito

campground, check in with the camp host, pay for some firewood, and set up camp.

Just as I hang the clothesline to dry out the remaining stuff we had to pack damp from the morning frost on the North Rim, it starts to drizzle.

Within two minutes, it's a raging downpour. Thunder and lightning, fire and brimstone. We throw all our stuff under the tent fly, pull on our raingear, and flee to the bathroom building where we wait out the tempest sitting under the awning.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #870
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:

Take a photo for posterior's sake,

and move along.
(pŏ-stîr'ē-ər, pō-)

adj.
  1. Located behind a part or toward the rear of a structure.
  2. Relating to the caudal end of the body in quadrupeds or the dorsal side in humans and other primates.
  3. Botany Next to or facing the main stem or axis.
  4. Coming after in order; following.
  5. Following in time; subsequent.
n. The buttocks.

Pick any definition from 1 through 5? or straight to N??

And I had thought all the other pictures were awesome, now I wonder what we didnt see !!

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote