User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #871
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
45 minutes later

it was over, but now getting dark. We made the campfire, hung stuff to dry, and cooked one of our favorite camping meals:

Dinty Moore and Special sauce.

A last cozy night hanging by the campfire, reflecting on all that we'd seen and done that day.

And before we tucked in to bed, we were treated to a lovely moonrise.

Stats for the day:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #872
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Draggin'

Day 14: Friday, Sept. 19, 2008.
From Sunset Crater to Flagstaff.

Even though we were up early,

someone was having a little trouble getting her ass in gear. A second pot of coffee was in order... no more need to ration the fine java we'd been portaging all the way from NYC.

Ms. Adventure Bunny was sooo excited to meet Lilliana; "Can we go now? Are you ready yet, aunt Francine? C'mon. Let's go!"

Finally,

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 10-29-2008 at 07:00 AM
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #873
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We have this history

with being thwarted by the San Francisco peaks. On one visit several years ago, we tried to climb Humphreys Peak, and didn't make it. Of course, we one reason was that someone had to get back to watch the Chicago Bulls in the Championship, but also we had lost the trail. .

Of course, that was before the days of GPS. (I know it existed, just not commonly in use by civilians). We had spent some time mountain biking, and I remembered some of the trails as pretty gnarly. We talked about cutting across on some of the roads that were visible on the Topo GPS maps, so long as they weren't anything too technical.

We're trying to get over Schultz Pass, but the long way. So of course we're heading opposite the arrow. Unfortunately, the route I had chosen yielded this:

Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #874
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we backtracked

and found another possibility.

Looked like a jeep trail, pretty washed out.

And it started to get really ugly, and we decided to bail,

and just take the nicely graded Schultz Pass rd.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #875
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Schultz Pass

Like I said, nicely graded. But nice views .

Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #876
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Turns out,

that most of what appears as a forest service road on the Topo GPS is restricted to non-motorized use.

Without passing judgment, I've found this to be the case for N.F.'s that are in close proximity to a city/town that has upper middle class / college educated / university located / white collar / yuppie / gentrified / population. Like Flagstaff, AZ.

Far away from populated areas, the forest service roads are far less restricted, and even near populated areas there's plenty of motorized riding allowed so long as the populated area is more working class / blue collar / non-professional / non-yuppie. Like Richfield, UT.

So even if we had persisted on that jeep trail, we would have made it to within 0.7 miles of the Schultz Pass road, had to backtrack, and taken this road anyway.

I'm ambivalent about all this. I've hiked and mountain biked in this area. And it's nice not having motors around when you're doing those things. On the other hand, once something is restricted, it never gets released back. There are a lot of passions on both sides. Few compromises either.

But I was determined to find a back way into Flagstaff.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #877
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

So we spent the next half hour

puttering around people's back yards.

discovering all the listed through-roads that had been pinched off by Flagstaff's expanding development:

Then, finally something that looked promising:

Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #878
lowbudget
_twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer: 322
Hey,

took me a week reading all those pages - and it was worth it!

Great report
Kawasaki: KLR 600 - #1 1984; #2 1989
KTM EXC 250 2012
Beta: 300RR 2014, Rev 3 270 2005
TM 144EN 2009
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #879
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
(pŏ-stîr'ē-ər, pō-)

adj.
  1. Located behind a part or toward the rear of a structure.
  2. Relating to the caudal end of the body in quadrupeds or the dorsal side in humans and other primates.
  3. Botany Next to or facing the main stem or axis.
  4. Coming after in order; following.
  5. Following in time; subsequent.
n. The buttocks.

Pick any definition from 1 through 5? or straight to N??

And I had thought all the other pictures were awesome, now I wonder what we didnt see !!

Posterity... I swear, I meant "for posterity's sake"

Main Entry: pos·ter·i·ty
Pronunciation: pä-'ster-&-tE
Function: noun
1 : all of the lineal descendants of a person
2 : all future generations

Ooops. My bad.

Busted.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #880
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The Northwest Passage

to Flagstaff, remains to be discovered.

But we had fun trying!

This is Elden Mt. Lookout road.

We followed it up a few miles,

Like most climbs, the higher it got, the more steep and consequently more washed out and technical it became.

Once I realized it wasn't going to get us to Flagstaff, in fact it was a dead end, we turned around and let the devil box take us via pavement.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #881
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mt. Elden

on the right,

Humphreys peak (or maybe Agaissiz) is the big one below on the left.

Even the devil box had us riding in circles trying to get to their house.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #882
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

They were waiting...

and had been following us with Spot.

The kids were a little scared at first.

We had never met Liliana, and I don't think Leo remembered us (even though he said he did)

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #883
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

They soon warmed up to us

and to the bikes.

Aunt Francine and Uncle David brought presents from New York...

A sweatshirt for Leo (he'll grow into it )

and Ms. Adventure Bunny for Lilliana!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #884
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yin and yang

for a 2 year-old.

Scarey strange Uncle vs. Pink Adventure Bunny.

What can I say, the kid loves anything pink.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #885
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We looked at maps

to show where we'd been... even though we hadn't covered many miles today: