Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #991
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Our trip planning consists of filling up the tank before we leave.
That's only 'cause you can start right out your backyard and be in the thick of it. We, on the other hand have to deal with getting out of LaGuardia first.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #992
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,137
LDF and Dr Rock, I just finished your report. Great stuff.

I'm 68 yrs old and have been recovering from a non Hodgkins Lymphoma Discovered last late November while I was spending a week in Baja on my DR350, spectating the Baja 1000.

.......anyway a great report like this gives me impetus to do my exercises in order to get back on the DR and explore more of the back roads.

Thanks again.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #993
CPTBLY
Enjoying the Ride!

Oddometer: 203
Thumb Kudos Doc

Wow, great job Doc, and your awesome partner too. While I currently ride a Sportster ( year round in FL...just a little bragging) this amazing RR has reminded me of all the fun I had on an XT-600 when I lived in Alaska a long time ago. Maybe time for a Dual Sport again.

Thanks for a great report...now get back out there.
CPTBLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #994
DigiSnap Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Everyone's already said it....

But why should that stop me?!

Thanks so much for your very thorough RR. You are so blessed with your lovely partner and yourself having the mutual time, desire, and fortitude to do this trip. I envy you, and hope someday that my wife can get comfortable enough with her skills to do a shorter, but similar trip!

Looking forward to more tales!

Mark
DigiSnap Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #995
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
That's only 'cause you can start right out your backyard and be in the thick of it. We, on the other hand have to deal with getting out of LaGuardia first.

We are pretty spoiled!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #996
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
We are pretty spoiled!
Tell me about it.

Can't wait for part III to start, good luck on your travels.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #997
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyeager
Tell me about it.

Can't wait for part III to start, good luck on your travels.

Ian
Ian
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #998
kl Richard
This is a Dark Ride!!

Oddometer: 107
Tsk...Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Finally, I'll be completely weaning myself from the Motoport gear (not that there's anything wrong with it-- just a bit bulky for the airplane). I now have a RockGardn flak jacket pressure suit which fits great, and is comfy (which I'll ship and will stay out west),

and a Troy Lee Designs Chris Blais rally jacket on order which looks to be the bomb.

Mr. Happy puppet found his way back to us from the high plains of Colorado where he left in a huff after his perverted advances were scorned by Adventure Bunny. He's been sulking on the couch all winter, watching pro-wrestling and monster truck events, drunk, mostly. Typical. I'm really looking forward to having him along again. .

That's a great summary for planning your trip. But WRT riding gear...seems you're getting all new stuff and LDF has to continue on with the old gear....Shame Shame!!!!!!!!!! Spend some more, and outfit LDF equally!

TOO bad about Mr Happy puppets experience....get him back up to NS.
We have lots of promiscious(spelling)Bunnies up here

Cheers Brian
kl Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #999
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
I was soooo happy with my KLX-650c...until I read this. Picking up a '06 drz400s in "immaculate" shape w/ 1200 street miles on it tomorrow... and it's all your fault Doc.

Thanks...
OBX-RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #1000
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #1001
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
+1 (1000 + 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #1002
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Really enjoyed reading about your trips! Am planning to do the TAT in 21 month when I retire (but who's counting). Maybe I missed it but could you include a packing list to this thread or Mobius III? Looking forward to the next installment. Thanks!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #1003
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Packing list

Thanks, guys. Glad you're enjoying the trip... If we could, we'd be leaving on Mobius III tomorrow. (May 8th departure.)

Coincidentally I've been updating the master packing list today. It is an over-the-top, OCD Excel spreadsheet with each item categorized as... Francine's or mine, individual or shared gear, whether the item stays out west, stays with our bikes here in NYC, or travels back and forth. If it travels, whether it travels as carry-on or checked baggage (or shipped), where the item gets packed on the bike, etc. I can open the file on my Palm treo, and then sort the master list into all manner of useful variations... A quick list of only what needs to be left with the bikes in the storage unit, for instance.

What I've been doing is adding a column with notes and hyperlinks to the brand or store where I got the item, or an on-line review, etc.

I'm happy to send a copy to anyone who's interested... while it's created for two people traveling together and splitting up shared gear, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt it to solo traveling -- that's what I do when I camp by myself -- I sort the packing list to include only my individual items, plus both our shared items... ie. excluding LDF's individual items.

Kinda hard to explain... here's a screenshot...

The list is only ~270 rows ...if anyone wants a copy, shoot me a PM with your email address (no excel attachments for posts or PM's allowed) and I'll send it as an email attachment.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 04-15-2009 at 08:01 AM
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #1004
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,033
wow, that's quite a list.

did I read it correctly that there's a small shovel in the tankbag?

oh, did you get the new thermarests?? would love to hear what you think about them.

have a safe trip, and enjoy. looking forward to the RR
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #1005
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeterson
wow, that's quite a list.

did I read it correctly that there's a small shovel in the tankbag?

oh, did you get the new thermarests?? would love to hear what you think about them.

have a safe trip, and enjoy. looking forward to the RR
Hey Brian ,
It's a useful little tool, that small, collapsable shovel. Especially when Cowboy / stealth camping...

NeoAir's haven't shipped yet... I'm hoping to get them for this trip. Reviews make them sound awesome. We have the ProLite3's, and they're... meh. OK for a night. Or two. But not luxurious, and kind of narrow. The large NeoAir's pack down to the same size (nice) and are wider and thicker. Not self-inflating, though, so... we'll see.

I'm about to send out the Excel packing list to those who PM'd me, and while updating it with notes and hyperlinks to the items, it occurred to me that all this gear was accumulated gradually over a couple of years... and most of it deeply discounted when on sale. I'm looking at the retail prices and I'm thinking... this shit can be expensive if you wait 'till the last minute and have to buy it all at once.

On the other hand, one top-of-the line thermarest costs less than one night in the skeeviest nyc hotel. What is a good night's sleep worth out on the trail after a long hard day of riding. The stuff pays for itself when it's quality and you need it to function dependably, without drama, day after day, in extreme and austere conditions.