User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #91
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,519
KLR-riding ADV'r

Stopped us to chat. Knew about the TAT. Told us about a nearby campground, but we were heading further... I had scoped out a state park on the GPS with camping. (Preview: )

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #92
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The near-miss incident

On one of these little turns:

One of these nearly took Francine out:

I guess as mid-week remote adventure riders, I have to point out to anyone riding in similar circumstances to beware of the school buses on their AM and PM routes. I don't know where these kids are living, but the buses lumber around these little roads like they own them.

Like deer at dusk, add them to the list of things to watch out for at certain hours.

Side note: the mind boggles when considering how dependent on cheap gasoline our society is. How will these kids get their education when the small municipalities and counties can no longer afford to transport them to school?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #93
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Water crossings:

The wind-up:

the pitch:

We got to do this one twice (you'll see why in a sec.)

Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #94
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It happens

Easy go-around... maybe 8 miles added.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #95
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Backtracking:

Alternate river crossing:

(Looked like a nice swimming hole.)

And into town. Salina, Oklahoma...

on the shores of Lake Hudson,

Where we're headed for Snowdale State park and the promise of lake-side camping (from what I can see on the Topo GPS maps.)
Old 06-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #96
Jungle Jim
buckle up buttercup

Oddometer: 9,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Hey, how's it goin?! Not before we see you guys on the 24th!

(You are coming, aren't you?)

we'll be there

Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #97
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Camels???

Name:  The Toe.jpg
Views: 9693
Size:  25.7 KB

Again, great report! Thanks for sharing...
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #98
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
I am really liking this report.
With all the pix you take and the story you tell, it really is like being there.

Thanks for this.
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #99
JSPEED
650 Strommer

Oddometer: 103
Dr.Rock, you rock!

Not only do you have a great way with words and also the camera, but you have a woman who shares your passion and that's a beautiful thing.

It also gets you alot more seat time.

Keep the stories coming, I'm loving every minute.

2012 V-Strom DL650AEXPL2
www.dualsport.ca
http://www.rideatlantic.ca/
JSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #100
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
outstanding report!

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #101
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
As another 400 owner much respect.

How is the comfort level on your neck braces?
Looks like they wouldn't be much of an issue.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #102
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Cry

Quote:
Hey Rick! I've been distracted from writing the report by some nice weather this weekend... I'm back on it though. Hope your trip west is going well... you're in WA now, no?
Nope, still in Tn. (fall down go BOOM at American Supercamp hurt my leg a little). Hope to leave for Wa around the 1st of July. I'm really enjoying ur all's ride report. Bring's back some good memories.
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #103
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Thanks guys

Hello Canuks! Kelsow, how's the new bike? Hi to Brian and our other NSDSC friends!

Neck braces are no problems at all.

A word about safety. Someone asked off-line about other concerns besides deer and school buses. In short, we felt safe at all times, certainly relative to our life in NYC where, as you know, untold horrors lurk around every corner. .

Truth be told, the route is so remote, that potential interactions with other humans is few and far between. When you cross paths with them, locals are curious and friendly... no one picked on us, or cheated us, even though we're Yankees. (Not Yankees fans, just for the record).

There was only one point where we felt we were riding through an area of high unemployment at the periphery of a small town, and people were staring at us from their front yards as we rode past. It was a little uncomfortable, but that was probably more in our heads than in reality.

The photos in the RR of scenery and riding terrain are representative, maybe 1% of what we saw and rode; In contrast, I think we took photos of 100% of our human counterparts in social interaction. Maybe we missed the crowds of NYC a little?

In reality, therein lies the danger. If something happens to you on one of those remote stretches; A broken leg, an engine grenade, a concussion, a heart attack, a tornado, hypothermia, bad allergic reaction, a snow storm, etc.. You could very easily get into big trouble real fast.

So the name of the game is preparation. Riding solo definitely ups the ante, but even in a group; the group spreads out, you stop to take a picture, you miss a turn, and now you're solo.

You can read some about our preparation from our previous prep thread, but almost all we've incorporated I have seen here on ADV in various places.

In summary:
Motorbikes: Know your bike, prep it well pre-ride, be able to diagnose and troubleshoot it, carry a tow strap, appropriate tools and spare parts, know how to field-service typical issues: flat tire, flooded carb, drowned bike, blown fuses, dead battery, filthy air filter, etc.

Survival: Be able to bivouac in place for minimum 48 hours. Food - stow energy bars, carry nuts and snacks at all times, freeze-dried meals if you can boil water. Water - top-off your hydration pack each gas stop, carry purification tabs, or even better a filter (Katadyn hiker pro is what we have). Shelter - know the weather in the area and what the extremes can deliver. Minimum; a space blanket and a dry change of clothes.

Safety: First-aid training and supplies... knowing how to use a tourniquet is probably the single most useful skill to have given what we're doing. Critters - both 2 and 4 legged will be repelled with a big can of bear spray. We carry it, in reality it lives at the bottom of our pack, but I'd get it handy if we had had to fix a flat after dark in the area which that guy warned us about the Meth-heads. Or for that matter, when we are in bear country.

Communication: Cell-phone coverage is almost non-existent with T-Mobile. Even NOAA and AM radio reception is lacking in places. Next section we do we'll be carrying a SPOT unit. This trip, LDF would call in to her folks whenever we had a cell signal and update our location. At least it would narrow down the search.

So with all that, yeah, we felt safe. Without it, I'd have been a lot less comfortable. Hope that's helpful.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #104
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,889
David great reading about this trip and I am so happy to see that Francine makes work to keep up and take pictured now. I remember the ride report from your first ride together. I didn't know you guys then but I read it and thought it was excellent.
BTW as far as the first aid end of the situation there are not many people around that anyone would be better off with as a riding partner than you. I am also sure LDF is no slouch on the first aid front.
Can't wait to read the rest
Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #105
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The campground that wasn't

So we follow the Devil-box to Snowdale state park.

It was immediately obvious that it had been abandoned to the lake, for ages.

I don't know if this was recent flooding, or a longer term plan to raise the water level of the lake, or what...

But there were about 30 abandoned RV's with extensive water damage, the road out there was trashed,

and it was just kind of strange and surreal -- think "Andromeda Strain". Even now, when I google "Snowdale state park" I don't get any hits that explain what happened. Even the OK state park website makes it seem really nice:

"Visitors to the park will find a lighted boat ramp, swimming beach, playground, volleyball court, comfort station with showers, RV sites, tent campsites, picnic tables and a group picnic shelter."

Uh... I don't think so!