Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #121
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Lunch

We rode along for awhile,

And stopped near Bowring, OK for gas and lunch. "Pat & Dan's"?? I think.

Had a couple of burgers, and were told that the road we were taking the back way out of town was flooded up ahead. They hadn't driven down there for a few days, though, so we decided to check it out and see if it was passable.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #122
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not promising:

Maybe?

No dice.

I've seen people drown bikes attempting to make crossings like this, but a quick GPS reroute was literally about a mile away backtracking.

At times like these, discretion is the better part of valor.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #123
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Be alert

Shortly after this nice water crossing (note the big pipe that has to be jumped... )

Signs aren't always updated out here. We're cruising along, pass a sign that says "One Lane Bridge". Roll around the turn, and see this:

The bridge was nowhere to be found. Now I don't know how long it had been gone... they had a lot of rain and flooding this spring. Giving local authorities the benefit of the doubt, maybe no one's been down this road to report it missing. It's not inconceivable that someone could arrive at water's edge with too much momentum, and end up in the drink. It was a muddy steep slope down to water deeper than 4 feet. That would suck.

In the interest of safety (third)... I busted out the big sharpie, and tagged the sign :

So we had to do the water crossing with the pipe from the other direction... LDF is a little apprehensive having to lift the front wheel over the pipe now at the far bank. I tell her, just keep your speed up, and gun it right before you get to the pipe, and trust the DRZ suspension to soak it up... and then I show her a line that hits the pipe at a nice right angle and wait at the other side.

To say she carried more than adequate momentum is a gross understatement... She almost smacked into the embankment on the outside of the curve, held on, gave it MORE gas, roared past me barely on the road, putting her bark busters to good use, and roosted me with rocks and dust as she quickly disappeared!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-06-2008 at 06:22 AM
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #124
Thumper1
n00b

Oddometer: 4
You're doing us proud Francine
Thumper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #125
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More evidence of flooding

This looked like it was pretty violent recently:

Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #126
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Tallgrass Prairie

The next section was really amazing. It left an impression on both of us. It's neat to hit it at the beginning of the flat straight OK farm sections, because it gives you a point of reference as to how all this area used to be.

The grass was only about knee-high, so we had sweeping views of the horizon in all directions.

The fences along side the road disappeared, and we started to get into open range. The next shot is one of my favorites of the trip. I've posted it here sized medium, but it's best viewed at original size on a big monitor. If you click the photo, it's linked to the original: (where's LDF?)

I'm from Chicago, I've spent time in flat farmland. I've driven across the cornfields of Nebraska on the interstate. I thought I "got" the prairie. Not even close. We were both simply slackjaw.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #127
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Close encounters of the cow kind

The further west we got, the less interested the cows were at getting off the road.

Now the little calves would totally freak out and run like mad. Kind of cracked me up... I don't really know why.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #128
gbbiv
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wow!

This is a great report! You should consider turning it into a book for posterity's sake. I like http://www.mypublisher.com/ but there a a ton of places that do it.
gbbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #129
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
She says honeysuckle

I say chamomile.
Bitterweed, Makes milk taste bitter. Love the RR!
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #130
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More lonely road shots

This next one is my favorite:

It just went on and on and on...

Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #131
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. Good report. Thanks

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #132
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. Good report. Thanks
I believe this --> "The road goes on forever and the party never ends." properly belongs in quotes... , don't it?

(Not bad for a yankee, eh?)
Old 06-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #133
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
You are correct sir. Well done.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #134
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
...and then what happened...?
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #135
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hey, we were out riding today! You don't expect me to write this ride report on my free time do you? That's what work is for!

DR. Rock screwed with this post 06-09-2008 at 04:02 AM