Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #1441
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Poking around

we found our way out.

Find Francine:

Either she's shrunk, or the distances are bigger than you expect, eh?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #1442
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally, for once

this actually looks as steep as it was.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #1443
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock

I had to untie, and retie one of these rope ones. It was just too tight to loop over. I was a boy scout, and I've sailed. I have knot skills, damnit. But I was still nervous. Didn't want to let the cowboys wonder... "what kind of jack-ass greenhorn idiot tied this? I wanted it to be as exact and precise as the knot I untied... I think I did it three times.
were you riding on private property ? how are you sure that its ok to ride through ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #1444
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Every so often

we'd just stop and take it all in.

Catch our breath, and chat on the Scala's

I know it seems like we're probably constantly taking photos, but when I look at the time stamps, sometimes there's hours of riding between them.

or at least several minutes.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #1445
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
were you riding on private property ? how are you sure that its ok to ride through ?
The land is managed, but the roads are public. Stay on the roads, and you're fine. If it's not "posted", then it's public land (BLM, N.F.), and you can camp anywhere as long as (specific rules vary) you're at least 50ft. but no more than 300 ft. from the road, 100ft from any water source, and leave no trace.

Then again, if you hear bullets flying, all that goes out the window.

Anyone else have a better answer?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #1446
lm248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
What a Ride

I'm finally caught up
Thank you "both" for all of the work and effort you put into sharing your journey with us.
lm248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #1447
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Great views

around every bend;

complete solitude.

it doesn't get much better than this.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #1448
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Does this

look like desert to you?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #1449
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Waiting for the top... here it comes,

and then starting the downhill

Starting early afternoon, on this day and the one prior, my bike would overheat (yellow light on @ 220 degrees, I think) if I tackled a long uphill climb. Never boiled over, and it would cool down with the engine off, literally, in 3 minutes.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #1450
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

High noon

and we glimpse the next big valley:

at about this point, NV seems endless. You have already realized the enormity of the space, and recognize that you're somewhere in the middle, or past the middle, or whatever, it doesn't matter, 'cause you've still got a LONG ways before you're out of it. It weighs on you. It's not an intolerable burden, but always in the back of your mind...

"wow, we're way the frick out here and there's nothing around. I hope nothing bad happens. That would suck. OK, it's great camping, and riding, but I've just about had enough... GET ME OUT OF HERE. No, no. Deep breath. I'm OK, really. It's not that much further, I'm sure"

It's hard to imagine given the wide open expanses, but the feeling is almost claustrophobic, like you're stuck, confined by the Great Basin. Riding all day, and it still looks the same... the only conclusion is that we must not be getting anywhere.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #1451
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We come up

on two cowboys and their pick-up truck building a temporary corral.

We wave and ride around their truck.

I wonder how far they drove to get out here, 'cause there's nothing.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #1452
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

But in fact,

the road widens,

and I realize that this is the valley that contains Denio Junction. We turn right onto this strange hard foreign road material:

(What's with the locked up bike? )

And we get a little homesick.

Only 2787 mi.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #1453
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Denio Junction

and it's lunchtime. But we've learned our lesson... no heavy mid-day meal like at Paradise Valley... not when we're riding this hard, it just slows you down and makes you want to take a nap. But we're psyched for a nice snack and a break. We gas up, chat with the locals, have an ice-cream bar, fill our water bottles, and rest in the shade.

it was a dog day,

the locals were drinking beer, and talking amongst themselves about how hard it was to find work. We took off our boots, and dried our socks.

They had home-made, frozen tamales for sale, by the dozen. I convinced the lady behind the bar to sell me four. I love tamales.

We discretely planted our flag...

Got our gear back on, and headed for the hills.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #1454
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:

No oatmeal this morning...

Thats my kind of breakfast.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #1455
darrell098
Adventurer