Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
llirttoc OP
Ural Life

Oddometer: 181
one major complaint, shit paint job !!!!!

New Patrol as of April '07 after one year using as my primary transportation and 14,500 klms. I'm not afraid to use it in the mud. I run knobbies from Oct. to April. We use salt on the roads here in Ohio. This is probably the main reason for the rust, but I don't think salt made the paint fall off. Is the paint falling off your rig? The tub and the tank are holding up fine but all three finders will have to be blasted and painted this summer. The forks will need blasted as well. This picture of the forks looks as the paint might have cracked due to flexing?
Attached Images

always pursuing the ghost of rationality
'07 Ural Patrol
llirttoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
llirttoc OP
Ural Life

more pictures of rust

Around most fasteners the paint has chipped.
Attached Images

'07 Ural Patrol
Old 05-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
llirttoc OP
Ural Life

one more rust shot

This will be the hardest to fix? Maybe new shocks? Olins? I do not regret my purchase one bit. But picky, OCD, buyers beware, that living in the Rust Belt of this Nation will take its toll on your rig. Oh one more thing, I'm leaving Tue. 27th to take my rusty rig and my 14yr old son to Niagara Falls Canada and explore the Gorge for 4 days then down to upper NY state for a wedding on Sat. Not that any one gives a damn, just say'n.
The reliability is not an issue.
Attached Images

'07 Ural Patrol
Old 05-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Trip

I wish that I'd have had my Ural Tourist when the kids were still home. I could have developed more good memories with them. Enjoy that trip with your son. I envy you.

I have 2100KM on my Tourist now. No rust or paint chips yet. My main problem is I cannot stop riding the machine and my other bikes are being neglected.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
SandHog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
That sucks big time...
I have an 07 and live on a Gulf island with an elevation of 1 foot above sea level.
It goes through salt water puddles from high tide all the time and have very little rust anywhere. (10,000km) Just the usual on the chrome. The bike gets left out in the rain to rinse it off. That's it. [ I fear Cob will get me if I wash it]
I would not be happy if my forks looked like that on a relitivley new bike.

'07 Ypan патруль/Gear-up
'88 BMW R100 GS Bumble Bee
SandHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,233
Howdy llirttoc,

Just my opinion worth what you paid for it but I think the major reason for your failing paint is the salt they use on the roads. I was born and raised in Minnesota, the land of salted roads, trying to find a car or any other vehicle from there that is more then a year old that hasn't started to rust in almost impossible, SALT will destroy paint and sheet metal in a hurry.

About the only thing you can do is try to wash the rig off after every ride, I know that's a lot of work and also is not practical when it's below freezing but it's about the only thing you can do. When you repaint, do a super metal prep job, a use a very good primer and then a quality paint. As much as it pains me to say this if you live in a salty environment "washing" and "waxing" are your friends. Now I have to go and wash my hands for having typed those foul words.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
That looks almost as bad as Honda's paint!
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #8
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by llirttoc
We use salt on the roads here in Ohio. This is probably the main reason for the rust, but I don't think salt made the paint fall off. Is the paint falling off your rig?
Road salt is the reason why my formerly shiny black '05 Tourist is now Tremclad flat black. If you ride in the winter, the paint and chrome (Russian chrome... now there's an oxymoron) will peel off in no time.

Mind you, pretty much any brand of bike will suffer the same cosmetic damage under the same conditions. The difference is that others will end up looking like pieces of crap, while a rusted Ural just has more character.
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
That's not paint falling off- it's patina. It adds to the value of the rig. People in California will pay extra for that look.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435
It will make the blank stares even greater when they ask what year is it. The rust just makes em look so much older.

I live 5 miles from the coast. I suppose there is salt in the fog?
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
When I was in the Coast Guard, the bike parking at My station was 15' from the water. Also salt is used on the roads. the rust was impossible to stop. A cover made it worse. My new RZ350 aged 10 years in 2.
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,772
shock covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by llirttoc
This will be the hardest to fix? Maybe new shocks? Olins? ...
Need to keep those shocks from pitting - mine (on the leading links and the hack) show some surface rust, but not on the piston like yours does. I've heard a good neoprene cover can prevent that.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Por 15 is your friend.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #14
OneTraveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Whew!

Glad I'm not the only one whose bike looks like that! My 07 (11962km) looks almost identical...just swap the green for black. I live on Kodiak, and lets just say that snow, salt, and ice just may have something to do with that look.

But it won't stop me from suiting up in January!
OneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Yup

Mine too. I live in WI and ride in the winter (when I can stand it, or can't stand it, depending on your viewpoint). I have a shop rag that I use for "oily" stuff (oil drain plug removing and so on). It gets nice and oily. I rub it on my shocks and other bits that look like they are starting to corrode. Wax will do great on the paint, if the paint stays, but once the rust starts, bust out the rag after every rinsing of the bike and just wipe wherever you want. It has worked pretty well for me. I am for other advice!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote