User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
BioCruiser OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
klr650 air/fuel mixture? chain tips?

Apologies. I know this is probably something I could search but... I can't make the search search function work on my tablet.

Yesterday I crossed the Andes on a 2005 klr650. Owned for about two weeks. From Arequipa to juliaca Peru. There were thunderstorms. Hail. Wind. Good times. I know I should have re searched this but I figured it's got a carb and one cylinder... Where is the adjustment screw? Is there one? At 15k feet it runs a little rough...

Also a separate issue... The chain gets longer every day. I adjusted and adjusted and... Now threes no more room and the chain keeps growing. Going to replace it tomorrow if I can find a replacement in puno. I'd replace it today but it's Sunday and everything is closed.

Sorry for typos.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,831
There's an adjustment screw for idle under the front of the carb, pretty tight above the starter motor. It's covered by a metal plug from the factory so you may not be able to adjust the screw until you pull the plug. Pulling usually involves drilling a small hole and inserting a hook to pull the plug out.

If you need more adjustment than just idle, you'll need to change the needle position or change the jet.

All these can be accomplished without pulling the carb. Loosening the bands front and back will let the carb tilt left or right. When you tilt the carb, though, you have a good chance of snagging the choke cable on other stuff -- be gentle and watch what the choke cable is doing on the left of the carb. Tilt the bottom toward you to get to the idle screw or the main jet. Tilt the top toward you to get to the needle at the bottom of the slide.

At this point you can blame most stuff on the PO. Have you checked for air leaks around the carb boots? Air cleaner well-seated? There's a rubber boot on the plastic collar that holds the choke cable in -- that boot and the plastic collar need to be seated to prevent air leaks there too. I've ridden on enough gravel to shake the header nuts loose and cause lean running from exhaust leaks. You??
Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,836
best to remove the enricher (choke) cable before rotation the carb because they break easily. pull the choke on for removal and installation so you aren't fighting the spring. I usually take the throttle cable bracket loose too. it's on there with locktite so heat it to break the grip. might still need an impact. the pilot screw (idle mix) is set way lean at the factory. pull the plug as described above, seat the screw, back it odd 2 1/2 turns. the stock needle has no adjustment other than you can shim it up with washers

all that said.... these things make the carb run richer.... which is not your problem at 15k feet. to run well at that altitude it should be even leaner than factory. also being at that altitude.... there isn't as much oxygen to burn, you simply can't make seal level power... maybe 1/2

pretty good stuff here:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm
Old 02-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
At that altitude go for a 138 or 135 main jet.
The KLR loses 1.4 hp/1000ft.
You can drive with the airbox lid off to get more air in.
2007 XR650L
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
BioCruiser OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys. I'm going to be crossing back to the pacific at some point. I'll see what I can find as far as the jets. The idle screw is adjustable. I played with that a bit to get over the pass. Bike runs okay at 12k feet so i don't think I'll mess with it until i need to get back to the pacific.

I think I've located a chain. Might do the rear sprocket while I'm at it. The speedo cable now won't stay connected either. Oh well.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,184
The fuel screw mentioned above (underneath carburetor, engine side) adjusts idle mixture only, and stock needle can't be lowered to make mid-range operation more fuel lean. Thus, as also mentioned above, changing jet sizes appears the only practicable way to make a stock carburetor more fuel-lean, apart from the idle circuit.

While the CV carburetor compensates for altitude automatically to some extent, power is lost inevitably at elevation, even with an optimum air/fuel ratio. Unless you plan to ride at altitude for a long and continuous period of time, just living with "altitude sickness" 'til you descend, may be the most practical approach.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,939
Chains don't actually stretch, the pins wear down, and when you get to tightening it a couple times a week, it's done for. Replace it before it ruins the sprockets.

If you have the time and the funds, get a set with both sprockets and the chain. You might have damage to the sprockets already, and a new chain will not last long with damaged sprockets. The teeth will look like ocean waves when they get very bad.

The factory chain is "endless" and will need to be cut off. I use large bolt cutters, and make two cuts. A cut-off wheel works, but gets metal dust everywhere.

A chain with a 'Master link' is easy to take on and off with hand tools. Make sure the clip is facing the right way, and I always put a little bit of silicon sealer on it to make sure it stays in place.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

Cauldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,836
put some RTV on the speedo cable nut

standard chain is 520 with 106 links. I have run 13, 14, 15, and 16 tooth countershaft sprockets in the front and 43 and 45 in the back. all those work with a 106 link chain except possibly the 16/45.... I didn't try that one (no point). I have done all the others though.. 15/43 is stock

change it soon. when they get that bad they are known to break under load & sometimes the chain wads up behind the C/S sprocket which can crack the engine case
Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
BioCruiser OP
Adventurer

success! Puno, Peru

It took a little searching but I found a 520 chain in Puno! Most ships didn't have anything nearly large enough.

If you're here in puno and need a chain... Or any basic wrenching (he didn't have sprockets with the correct bolt pattern unfortunately) try this dude:

Mario # 950 942 011 avienda costanera #416, Puno, Peru

He charged me 50 soles (about $16) for the chain and installation. He even threw in a little epoxy to try and keep my speedo cable from unscrewing itself every day.

Since it's already midday I'm not going to try for the border until tomorrow. But hey, I'm feeling much better about my ride with the new chain.

Finding jets was totally out of the question. I think I'll just suffer through with out and just crank the idle when I'm up in the mountains. She runs fine here in the city at 12k feet...