Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #46
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,047
Well Jeff....I guess it was fate that we saw the two sm450/510s when we did. It was someone's way of saying...."here, I'll give you an excuse, and now a little show.....now it's your turn....make the call" I listened.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #47
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Rode it to work today. Trying very hard to keep the revs down during break in period. Got up around 6800rpm (for a breif stint), and this thing really pulls well. This is officially my favorite purchase ever.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #48
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
I seem to have a small oil weep on the top of the case, but have not been able to investigate at all.
"They all do that"

Check the fitting in the valve cover that the crankcase breather hose attaches to...the sealant they use sucks....

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #49
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

72 miles. 1st oil change. I cleaned the 2 prefilters, but did not change the paper filter. Filled with amsoil 20w50. Some fine shavings in prefilters and on drain plug. Some orange (case sealant?) bits. Oil was metallic but not too dark. Will ride to work tomorrow and Thursday night ride with the boys. Full oil change with paper filter either tomorrow or Friday.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #50
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Took a ride last night with the boys. Other than the seat, this thing rocks. So light, so flickable, so much power, so sticky in the corners, so easy to wheelie. Doing the second oil change tonight (have about 180 on the clock now). Calculated mpg, and am getting an even 50mpg. I can't wait to de-smog, re-pipe, and re-map it. This thing is an animal now, I can't wait to see what it is capable of when it is unleashed.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #51
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 8,008

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #52
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Direwolf!

Very nice, direwolf. How do you like the clarke tank?

Also, is that Oregon coast or down in Baja? The saltwater must be very nasty for bike components.
Husky TE510
Mr Sleazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #53
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
im a proud owner of a 05 TE510..love it but i noticed that the boyesen pumper mod sure eats the gas as within 45 min of hard and fun riding the tank seems empty!! how much is the aftermarket tank?? and the ARROW muffler???...i know a set of 17' wheels [supermoto] and disc mod will set me back a grand or so ... cant wait to do the street kit as well...this bike is a blast to ride .. i was thinkin of a 610 SMR but will keep this one a while longer as i like the light weight and power..
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #54
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,751
out riding the Wiscosin fire roads and playing around doing wheelies at 60 mph.. This thumper has plenty of GO!

Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #55
EMrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Another happy TE owner here. In my case, an 06 450. Bought the Husky after many years on a KTM exc. Both bikes are outstanding off road. But the Husky is more a kick to ride. As many have said, it is simply a race bike with street legal equipment. The 450 motor has loads of power. With the short stroke design and close ratio tranny, the bike just rips. Actually, it is more than I can handle sometimes and certainly more than I need almost all of the time. When I'm really focused it is great fun, but sometimes I just want to cruise and explore new areas. On a limited basis, the 450 can handle that sort of riding. But the bike's tranny is not well suited for any extended road use. This is the funnest dirtbike I've ever owned, but as my riding habits change I'll probably be adding another mellower DS bike to the garage.
R
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #56
xcountry rider
What happened?

Oddometer: 116
Pickin her up monday

I'm pickin up an 06 TE450 on monday. I just sold my 04 xr400 plated. The upgrade is only costing me 300 bucks. Sounds like the husky will be a little more fun
Old 07-04-2008, 07:03 AM   #57
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

sprocket changes can quickly transform my TE510 to a easy cruiser...

15/45 for dual sport proivdes 50 mph at 4200 rpm and 60 mph at 5100 RPM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #58
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

slipped a pair of MT21s on today and noticed a significant difference on pavement almost immediately...

smoother
less rolling resistance
improved cornering
substantially better braking

The front MT21 is also of larger rolling diameter than the stock Michelin Enduro Comp III and a Michelin S12. The rolling circumference on the back seems very similar to the other tires I've tried.

I trying out a 15/45 gear combo for dual sport riding... so far I like it. Hoping the MT21s will work OK on the dirt roads.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #59
bucker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
I trying out a 15/45 gear combo for dual sport riding... so far I like it. Hoping the MT21s will work OK on the dirt roads.
let me know how the tires work out. i just picked up a leftover 07 te510 last month and the bike is sick. i'm looking to change the gearing too just to make it a little more friendly on the pavement, i think i might try 15/45. but definitely let me know how those tires are on the dirt

thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #60
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Tires and gearing

I have been running 14-50 gearing on the pavement for miles and miles (well really up here in Canada kilometres and kilometres!). Was not too bad, but I changed just yesterday.

I got ahold of a spare set of wheels, and will swap back and forth for pavement/dirt. I wanted it to be simple so no changing chains or rotors, just a wheel swap.

For the street wheels, I put a 46 tooth sprocket on the back, and a Kenda DualSport for pure pavement use:

Rode it to work, I have a 70 km round trip commute. BIG difference. About half of the vibes are gone, and the machine just lopes along at 95 kph now. I expect my fuel economy might improve a touch too (with the smaller rear sprocket).

When I am ready for the dirt, I just mount up the dirt wheel, already fitted with a 50t sprocket. All that needs adjusting are the axle sliders.
Husky TE510
Mr Sleazy is offline   Reply With Quote