Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #61
bucker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
yea, those vibes are a killer on longer pavement rides. are you keeping the 14 tooth up front when you switch?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #62
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
14 tooth

Hey bucker -

The 14 tooth stays on. I guess I could stick a 15 in there at the same time, but that would add 2 minutes to the process!

Brian
Husky TE510
Mr Sleazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #63
bucker
Adventurer

i hear that, the quicker the better. i heard the stock rotors work fine in street mode, what do you think? i guess the bike is light enough so anything exta isn't necessary.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #64
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucker
i hear that, the quicker the better. i heard the stock rotors work fine in street mode, what do you think? i guess the bike is light enough so anything exta isn't necessary.
Stock rotors seem fine to me. I am not an agressive street rider, its a commuting machine which just happens to also be a lot of fun.

The sumo setup just looks cool, though.
Husky TE510
Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #65
bucker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sleazy
Stock rotors seem fine to me. I am not an agressive street rider, its a commuting machine which just happens to also be a lot of fun.

yea, i'm going to do a sumo setup eventually. i hear its alot of fun. i still gotta break it in and get used to it before i start taking the twisties on pavement.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #66
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
You will love it in street garb. Pick a line, any line, or try em all in th same corner. It's crazy how a light bike with good suspension, sticky tires, and a stong motor can make any corner (even the super tight ones) just a stroll in the park. I have never had so much fun. The hardest part is keeping the speeds under "lose your license" territory.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #67
bucker
Adventurer

i sat on the SM610 at the dealer and it felt so nice, but i wanted something more versatile. i like to play in the mud i have downhill mt bike background so i feel comfortable on dirt, i'm gonna have to get used to the street when i set it up. i sure can't wait
Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #68
SwitchThrottle OP
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
OH....YOUR GONNA LOVE IT! I was gonna go with the '08 sm610, but the sm450r just spoke to me. It is vibey, and it is not comfy, but so light, and the power is awesome. I only commute 15 miles (or so) each way, and the boys never invite me on the long treks , so I went light and fast (comfort be damned). The sm610 is pretty too, but 300+ #s? The weight difference more than makes up for the power difference. I have an '03 xr400r for dirt. The Husky is my....er.....um....streetbike?
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #69
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Very nice, direwolf. How do you like the clarke tank?

Also, is that Oregon coast or down in Baja? The saltwater must be very nasty for bike components.
Oops - been a bit.

Clark tank is great (came with the bike) - though the height/angle makes a small enduro tank bag a bit hard to fit, or at least it would seem.

The pic is on the OR coast - ripped around for a while on packed sand (stay out of the water), and give it a quick wash off..... no problems.

DireWolf screwed with this post 07-16-2008 at 03:30 PM
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #70
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
sprocket changes can quickly transform my TE510 to a easy cruiser...

15/45 for dual sport proivdes 50 mph at 4200 rpm and 60 mph at 5100 RPM.
Bingo. I need to calm this fooker down a notch.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #71
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:

I'd dearly love to have a set of moto wheels fall from the sky...... details for the Husky n00b?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #72
bucker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchThrottle
OH....YOUR GONNA LOVE IT! I was gonna go with the '08 sm610, but the sm450r just spoke to me. It is vibey, and it is not comfy, but so light, and the power is awesome. I only commute 15 miles (or so) each way, and the boys never invite me on the long treks , so I went light and fast (comfort be damned). The sm610 is pretty too, but 300+ #s? The weight difference more than makes up for the power difference. I have an '03 xr400r for dirt. The Husky is my....er.....um....streetbike?
15 minutes riding pavement with the knobbies on my bike makes my ass go numb. i'm hoping a set of sumo wheels will help out a little bit. i think all the street rides may have activated a hemroid
Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #73
bucker
Adventurer

[quote=DireWolf]Oops - been a bit.

Clark tank is great (came with the bike) - though the height/angle makes a small enduro tank bag a bit hard to fit, or at least it would seem.
quote]

what size clarke tank do you have?? do you need leave plastics off after? i heard IMS makes a good one too.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #74
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf

I'd dearly love to have a set of moto wheels fall from the sky...... details for the Husky n00b?
Sumo means supermoto - I hope I am right this is what you are asking about? 17" wheels with street tires, originally for supermoto racing but lots of pple just ride the streets with them.

Don't have them yet for my machine, I spent enough already, but I do have a spare set of wheels that if I am motivated I can switch to 17" rims with sumo tires.

Husky does have a set of OEM supermoto wheels, but these cost a lot of cash. I spent about 2 months watching fleabay before I found a used set of dirt wheels, and those were not cheap either!
Husky TE510
Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #75
Mr Sleazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Got leaks?

Changing the subject a bit, but my machine has been a bit of a drooler for some time now. Nothing serious, but any amount of leaking oil makes a bigger mess than you would think.

First it was leaking oil around the breather hose, the one that goes from the valve cover to the airbox. I fixed that one with a bit of RTV.

It also leaked from the oil drain bolt on the bottom of the case, after I lost the crush washer from the bolt. I fixed that with a fibre washer from NAPA, and don't use that bolt anymore, draining from the large oil screen cover instead.

Next it started a bit of a leak from the cam chain tensioner gasket (I have a new gasket on order), and is also drooling from the valve cover gasket.

Yikes! Anyone else like this?
Husky TE510