Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #46
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,742
You've got a great eye and share some great observations!! Very nice report!!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #47
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,950
I am thoroughly enjoying this Ride report. Great stuff . What was your route to the Artic Circle Please?
Qwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #48
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
the pipes sticking up along the highway are markers for the snow removal crews so they can tell where the road is when its covered by 10 feet of snow!

Looks like you're seeing most of Alaska, and catching it on film. Good on 'ya! I think I saw you in Fairbanks, but then again all those red KLRs look alike!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #49
sidawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great pics. I really like the B&W shots. Enjoy!
sidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #50
LostAussie OP
Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer: 532
Days 29 - 30

Day 29 – Dawson City, YT

Dust 2 Dawson started with a poker run that went for about 60 miles around Dawson City. I rode with Troy from Lincoln, NE and Dave from Minnesota who has a fantastic sense of direction and got us to all the right places.

The views were fantastic!

One stop was at the Dome. You can see Dawson City in the background. Yes, it was bad hair day #29!

Then back to town for a shower to wash off the dust and to enjoy some of the sights around town like a retired stern wheeler.

And some interesting old buildings.

Bikes everywhere and not a trailer in sight! This group actually rides there bike unlike the Sturgis group were most of the bikes are trailered in behind motorhomes.

Dick from the Downtown Hotel arranged a great banquet for over 130 riders and then the biker games started.

First was the slow race were some excellent balance was needed to see who could ride the slowest.

Then came the blindfold race to see who could ride and stop closest to a paper plate placed on the ground.

Then came the slalom race. The cones were moved closer and closer together each time.

Next came the tennis ball drop with each bucket smaller than the previous one.

Then the water balloon toss and catch. A few riders got wet when their passengers missed the catch.

These are un-official games at an un-official non-rally so it was naturally open to bicycles as well.

The last game was the wiener grab.

At midnight all the bikes were lined up for a group photo. It really didn’t seem like midnight because it was so light. I am starting to miss dark nights!

Shortly after midnight, there was a beautiful sunset.

Followed immediately by a beautiful sunrise.

The reflection of the sunrise over town was magnificent!

After a long and wonderful day, it was time to try to get some sleep in my tent before the sun made it to hot to sleep.

Day 30 – Dawson City, YT to Whitehorse, YT

Sgt Marty is heading up the Dempster highway which is gravel and dirt and I am headed down the paved roads to the south. He had street tires on his bike and I had off-road tires on mine so we traded wheels and tires.

He retired and is doing a fantastic ride this year. Take a look at his ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350965

After breakfast at the local bakery and saying goodbye to new friends, I headed south. The weather was beautiful with warm sunshine and white puffy clouds until about an hour before Whitehorse when the wind and rain hit.

Camping in the rain didn’t sound like fun so I stopped at a motel. When I walked in, Tom from Bellingham, WA was also checking in on his way home from D2D so we shared a room and split the cost. It was really nice to sleep in darkness!

LostAussie screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 08:53 AM
LostAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #51
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Question Wot are them funny lookin' birds?

Thoroughly enjoying the report and photos - magnificent!

Those birds you were curious about, I think they are about as far from home as you are... Godwits! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar-tailed_Godwit

Looking forward to the next posts and keep up that great photography

Cheers
Allan
Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #52
LostAussie OP
Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer: 532
Days 31 - 32

Day 31- Whitehorse, YT to Watson Lake, YT

This is one of the few times when my trip has taken me back on the same road that I came up on. The most interesting thing on the road yesterday was this 100 year old Buick.

The weather is about the same as last time I was here, rainy and cold. The locals try to tell me that it is often nice here but they may be making that up in hopes that motorcycle riders will keep coming here and renting their little 7 foot by 9 foot rooms for $50 per night just to get out of the rain.

Hey, at least the roof didn’t leak, the bed was only slightly shorter than me and for an extra $1 I can get a shower. Ok, so this wouldn’t be my first choice but since it was this or setting up a tent in the pouring rain, it was the best choice.

Day 32 – Watson Lake, YT

Still Here! Still Raining! From what I hear, the Cassier highway has dirt sections that are really slippery when it rains so I am waiting until tomorrow and hoping that the rain quits. If it doesn’t, I will head back on the Alaska Highway but it seems a shame to ride the same road that I came up on.

This place collected motorcycle riders trying to get out of the rain.

Hopefully my next report will be about wonderful weather and have pictures of beautiful scenery!

Thank-you to everyone who has commented on this report and answered my questions about things I have seen!

LostAussie screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 10:01 PM
LostAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #53
gianlukx
Minimum Speed Always

Oddometer: 75
Great
gianlukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #54
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,474
Nicely done... and w/ an xlnt eye for a shot !
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #55
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Hey LostAussie, it was great meeting you...ride safe!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #56
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,025
Great ride report! Good to hear that Troy made it. I led him around on a few hundred miles of gravel & dirt roads to prepare for the trip!

Say Hello to Smash81, He was going to tent here but altered his stopping points. Can't wait for the next installment.
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report

Trl Rdr screwed with this post 06-23-2008 at 07:52 PM
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #57
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 995
Great report,

The rooms look familiar, as we stayed in a couple of them last year on the way back. Rode from Teslin To Gold Nuggett City in 40 degree rain..By the time you get to the GN City you just want some heat...Hope you get to do the cassier...We did it on the way up and it was the hi light of our trip..

The bird on page three looked like a spotted sandpiper.....

The Guy from Lincoln Ne,,,TRoy/Vodie is a friend, itz good to see he made it To dust to dawson. on time..

Your Black and white photos are really nice...I'd be interested to know what your set up was when you get back....

Enjoy the rest of the adventure and kkeep the Greasey side down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAussie
Day 31- Whitehorse, YT to Watson Lake, YT

This is one of the few times when my trip has taken me back on the same road that I came up on. The most interesting thing on the road yesterday was this 100 year old Buick.

The weather is about the same as last time I was here, rainy and cold. The locals try to tell me that it is often nice here but they may be making that up in hopes that motorcycle riders will keep coming here and renting their little 7 foot by 9 foot rooms for $50 per night just to get out of the rain.

Hey, at least the roof didn’t leak, the bed was only slightly shorter than me and for an extra $1 I can get a shower. Ok, so this wouldn’t be my first choice but since it was this or setting up a tent in the pouring rain, it was the best choice.

Day 31 – Watson Lake, YT

Still Here! Still Raining! From what I hear, the Cassier highway has dirt sections that are really slippery when it rains so I am waiting until tomorrow and hoping that the rain quits. If it doesn’t, I will head back on the Alaska Highway but it seems a shame to ride the same road that I came up on.

This place collected motorcycle riders trying to get out of the rain.

Hopefully my next report will be about wonderful weather and have pictures of beautiful scenery!

Thank-you to everyone who has commented on this report and answered my questions about things I have seen!
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #58
orion94
Hold my beer, Watch this

Oddometer: 57
Awesome pics and a gret report. I am hoping to do a trip up there in 2010. I keep reading these reports and it just keeps stoking the fire inside.

Chris
Old 06-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #59
SgtMarty
Retired, baby!

Oddometer: 1,577
I'm still loving your photos. It was cool to run into you at the D2D.

Thanks again for swapping wheels with me, that was a good thing for the Dempster, where I needed all those lugs. 12 hours up to Inuvik and 12 hours back to Dawson City, and the tires were great. The construction ruts and new gravel would have been tougher to manage on the Avons.

Adventure onward!

COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #60
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,889
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote